rewiring horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: rewiring horn

I have managed to reconnect most of the electrial on my 1928 Dictator, but the horn is a mystery to me. I have it working off a switch under the dash board, but would like to hook it up to the button on the steering wheel. The wire going up the steering column to the button needs to be replaced. Not sure if this button creates the ground,or is the hot line that provides the current. Has anyone rewired the horn button inside the steering column. My steering wheel has 6 screws on the backside, underside, but a little apprehensive to enter it not knowing what I will get into. Any first hand from experience advice would be appreciated. Seems like an easy fix, but not for someone like me who is brave, but dangerous. Ha! Thanks for reading . . . .

General reply, not specific to your car. The later (after WWII) horn circuit used the horn button to ground the relay to energize the horn. A frayed wire inside the column blew the horn until it burned out.

Comment

Has anyone had experience entering the steering column on a 1928 Dictator or similiar year, and rewired the horn button?? Some insight would be helpful since I don't want to make a mess of the light levers in the column.

Comment

If you can access the wire in the steering column from both ends, you can attach the new wire to the old wire (solder and heat shrink is the skinniest way to do this) and use the old wire to pull the new wire through the holes and channels.

Don't just pull the old wire out.

If you have already pulled the old wire out, maybe you can fish a fine, thin, solid wire through the column and use that to pull the new horn wire through.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the reply.....haven't removed old wire at this point, but again, I am concerned about opening the steering column. Hoping someone has done this and can assure me that it is not problem, even for a novice like me.

Comment

Working...
          X