South Bend Summit Club - Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Summit Club - Gone

Located at the top of South Bend's tallest building, the Summit club offered great views of the entire area and was the location many investors from out of town got their impression of the city.

The building, now the Chase Tower, is for sale and is said to be in need of updating. Bungled or for good reason, none of the investment proposals to renovate the tower have been successfully launched.

The loss of the Summit Club eliminates yet another business entertainment option in South Bend. Maybe good news for other venues, but another huge negative for the new Mayor and his efforts to move the city forward:

That is a poorly written story! I guess this is what passes for broadcast journalism these days

Sad tale though. It's always a sign of poor leadership and a weak spine when management pulls something like that.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

For better or worse, this indirectly benefits Studebaker National Museum Board of Directors member Mark McDonnell.

Mark's primary enterprise is The LaSalle Grill, a premium eatery in downtown South Bend and a direct competitor to The Summit Club.

Mark probably knows more about The Summit Club situation than anyone at the TV station ...and may now be poised to pick up a few good, new employees. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        For better or worse, this indirectly benefits Studebaker National Museum Board of Directors member Mark McDonnell.

Mark's primary enterprise is The LaSalle Grill, a premium eatery in downtown South Bend and a direct competitor to The Summit Club.

Mark probably knows more about The Summit Club situation than anyone at the TV station ...and may now be poised to pick up a few good, new employees. BP
        Why would he use the name LaSalle? How about Studebaker?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

I would like to think Tippecanoe Place will get some of the business as well.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Why would he use the name LaSalle? How about Studebaker?
            'Beats me, Gary; you'll have to ask him. It may have been named that when he bought it.

Too, although the restaurant's street address is on Colfax Street, I believe one side of the property is on LaSalle Street, and it is part of an enterprise known as Club LaSalle. I am unsure of the details. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I would like to think Tippecanoe Place will get some of the business as well. Craig
              No doubt, Craig. BP

Comment

The LaSalle Grille is a fine place. Good humidor and cigar room. I've entertained and been entertained there.

Had job interviews and entertained at Tippecanoe Place too. Not counting the special family occasions and Stude activites there.

Only been to The Summit Club once as an invited guest. You had to be invited by a member or be a member to get in.

If that facility reopens, hopefully it won't be as restrictive. It isn't discussed, but the opening of the Ruth's Chris in Granger may have taken too much of the shrinking pie around here for all of them to thrive. I don't think the membership rules helped The Summit Club.

Hopefully, the Chase Tower and it's top floor will find good use. Hopefully, without membership restrictions. It's the best view available of the St. Joseph Valley without using an aircraft.

Comment

The former Summit Club chief did not want his name used, so he will be called Jack for the purposes of this story.

Jack says the Summit Club's reputation as a top-notch restaurant was the reason he became a chief at the club in the first place,
                  The chief uhh umm chef had gone. No wonder. How could they go on without a chief?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X