This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding pot metal

I just found and installed a tri-star on the hood of my 53. Appearently due to some earlier hood work (probably an nose job) the shape is not exactly correct for the fit. the points are slightly above the metal and will probably scratch my wife when she polishes it. I am considering marking the high spots that touch, removing it and carefully grinding down those spots until the points meet the metal and should have a nice fit. A few on-and-offs and i hope to fit it. Any tips on grinding down pot metal. I dont want to spall off the chrome or crack it as the chap on ebay got a good buck from me. it is NOS.
    Thanks
    Mike
    With all your help I am really getting along on the car

Mike DeLapp
    Barrington, IL
    53 Commander Hardtop

Once you grind through the layer of chrome, nickel, copper...
    You will 'open up' the plating and it will peel back over time.
    You will also get corrosion in between the base pot metal and the first layer of plating.
    Having a good plating shop 'strip' the plating off of the pot metal, and then having it replated would be the best way to do this.
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I just found and installed a tri-star on the hood of my 53. Appearently due to some earlier hood work (probably an nose job) the shape is not exactly correct for the fit. the points are slightly above the metal and will probably scratch my wife when she polishes it. I am considering marking the high spots that touch, removing it and carefully grinding down those spots until the points meet the metal and should have a nice fit. A few on-and-offs and i hope to fit it. Any tips on grinding down pot metal. I dont want to spall off the chrome or crack it as the chap on ebay got a good buck from me. it is NOS.
    Thanks
    Mike

Mike DeLapp
    Barrington, IL
    53 Commander Hardtop

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    Homeless[u]</u>
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Once you grind through the layer of chrome, nickel, copper...
      You will 'open up' the plating and it will peel back over time.
      You will also get corrosion in between the base pot metal and the first layer of plating.
      Having a good plating shop 'strip' the plating off of the pot metal, and then having it replated would be the best way to do this.
      Hope the info helps.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Thanks
      Mike

Mike DeLapp
      Barrington, IL
      53 Commander Hardtop

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      Homeless[u]</u>
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Are you sure you got one for a C-K car??? They were of a different shape for a sedan and the contour of the hoods was different.[B)]

As Jeff says - BAD IDEA to grind on that thing at ALL if you don't plan on having it rechromed afterwards

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Are you sure you got one for a C-K car??? They were of a different shape for a sedan and the contour of the hoods was different.[B)]

As Jeff says - BAD IDEA to grind on that thing at ALL if you don't plan on having it rechromed afterwards

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

How do you get your wife to polish your car??

Jerry Buck
            Racine, Wisconsin
            '53 Champion Coupe - C (owned since 1956)
            '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

How do you get your wife to polish your car??

Jerry Buck
              Racine, Wisconsin
              '53 Champion Coupe - C (owned since 1956)
              '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

I can'nt get my wife to polish her own car!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I can'nt get my wife to polish her own car!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I remember chrome stripping off of old bumpers when I was a kid. I am reasonably sure this is a CK the fit is very, very close and only misses a little. Top left point fine. Top right up less than 1/16" and bottom up about 1/8th. Lays flat in some areas. Stripping it would really make me feel like a nut as I paid $275 for the darned thing. Had I suspected the fit, I would have gotten an old one, fitted it and then chromed it. I think I am stuck. Poor wife, I will get her heavy gloves and a gross of Band-Aids. Seriously I was looking forward to fitting it by grinding off a little but SO GLAD I checked here first.

Mike DeLapp
                    Barrington, IL
                    53 Commander Hardtop

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I remember chrome stripping off of old bumpers when I was a kid. I am reasonably sure this is a CK the fit is very, very close and only misses a little. Top left point fine. Top right up less than 1/16" and bottom up about 1/8th. Lays flat in some areas. Stripping it would really make me feel like a nut as I paid $275 for the darned thing. Had I suspected the fit, I would have gotten an old one, fitted it and then chromed it. I think I am stuck. Poor wife, I will get her heavy gloves and a gross of Band-Aids. Seriously I was looking forward to fitting it by grinding off a little but SO GLAD I checked here first.

Mike DeLapp
                      Barrington, IL
                      53 Commander Hardtop

Comment

Pure speculation here....

If the hood was "shaved" at some point and you re-drilled it for the star studs there may either be some warpage of the metal if the holes were brazed and leaded it or there is a lot of filler there making the contour wrong for the star. My car I had the original star replated and it fits perfectly (one of the few things that did!). I recall there being visible spot welds and indentations in the hood under the star there where the bracing plate is attached to the outer sheet metal. They get covered with it installed. Maybe studebaker designed the star's casting to fit with that in mind?? If you haven't painted the car yet and are still prepping the hood, maybe worth stripping all old paint/filler off that area and seeing whats under there.

You'd definately know if you have a sedan one, I've got a rough one in my junk collection and the contour is so different I bet the center would sit at least 1/2" off the hood with the 3 points touching.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Pure speculation here....

If the hood was "shaved" at some point and you re-drilled it for the star studs there may either be some warpage of the metal if the holes were brazed and leaded it or there is a lot of filler there making the contour wrong for the star. My car I had the original star replated and it fits perfectly (one of the few things that did!). I recall there being visible spot welds and indentations in the hood under the star there where the bracing plate is attached to the outer sheet metal. They get covered with it installed. Maybe studebaker designed the star's casting to fit with that in mind?? If you haven't painted the car yet and are still prepping the hood, maybe worth stripping all old paint/filler off that area and seeing whats under there.

You'd definately know if you have a sedan one, I've got a rough one in my junk collection and the contour is so different I bet the center would sit at least 1/2" off the hood with the 3 points touching.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

With what plating costs today vs. contouring and repainting the hood it may be six of one half a dozen of the other. Stripping and plating chrome does induce some heat and it's possible the star may have just warped a little.

Explanations aren't solutions but before deciding, you may want estimates from a chrome shop and a body shop (both of whom you trust).

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            33 Rockne 10
                            51 Commander Starlight
                            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

With what plating costs today vs. contouring and repainting the hood it may be six of one half a dozen of the other. Stripping and plating chrome does induce some heat and it's possible the star may have just warped a little.

Explanations aren't solutions but before deciding, you may want estimates from a chrome shop and a body shop (both of whom you trust).

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              33 Rockne 10
                              51 Commander Starlight
                              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X