life goes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life goes on.

Don't know a diplomatic, sensitive way to say this, so I'll just say it. I have terminal cancer and the time is near.
    I have a 53 coupe Hotrod about 1/2 done. My son (just 21 and in college) has convinced me to leave it to him. He does not have the skills to finish it, but he is sharp and has amazed me before, So it's his project now. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give him. I've told him what a wonderful group you are and how much you have helped me. He is going to log in under my sig for now.
    Mainly, I want to say THANKS. Everyone here has been gracious and welcoming to an old darksider. I especially wan t to mention Brian Woods. Without his efforts, knowledge, and expertise I wouldn't Have tried a chop. Thanks Bria n.
    To those of you I won't talk to again, Good Bye and God Bless

Don Wallace
    San Antonio Tx.

Oldguy

The only way to respond to this post is to say that my prayers will be said on your behalf. My wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer seven years ago. She has survived. Miracles do happen. I will pray for you everyday! God Bless!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Don I am sorry to hear this difficult news. I hope there is someone in your area that can step up and help.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Don,

You will be in our prayers. Tell your son that we stand ready to help him. 53 Coupe hot rods are very special, your son will do you proud.

God bless you.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Don,

my heart truly goes out to you. As I was reading this, I started thinking about my grandpa, who was the one who got me hooked on Studebakers, and how he was taken too soon by cancer. He was an amazing man and left a great legacy, but he left far too soon. There's no pretty way to say it, cancer truly sucks.

If I can offer any encouragement, it's that you never know if there's a mechanic under the skin. When my grandpa passed, I couldn't tell a dip stick tube from a hole in the ground. Today, I'm comfortable tacking virtually anything on a Studebaker (though I will admit that automatic transmissions still mystify and frighten me from time to time!). I'm not 1/100th as skilled as a lot of guys here, but if he comes here and wants help, I'll sure do whatever I can.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Jim
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I'll watch for "oldguy" to post and help where I can. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Don, this is terrible news, but thanks for being so candid. You know the extended Studebaker Family will help your boy in whatever way he needs. And if we can help you in any way - just ask.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Don, email me again with your ideas on the custom grille stainless that you had, along with measurements. mbstude@gmail.com

I'll see what I can come up with for ya.

Comment

We're here to help any way we can. Advice is free. I enjoy helping stude nuts as much as anything
                  If I can help with anything call me and I hopefully can talk him thru any sticking points.
                  I'm glad your son is willing to take this project on. It says alot about you that he wants a part of your lifes passions.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ditto to "all the above," Don. Prayers and good wishes your way. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Don, you already know you have the love and support of all of us. What you don't know is this -- for the four years I have been on this forum, I have always noticed and loved your signature.

"OF COURSE IT WILL FIT, I HAVE A TORCH".

Such an optimistic and definitive statement. Now it applies to your life.

Thanks.

Comment

My thoughts and prayer are with you and your family. I am sure your son will get the Studebaker guidance here to finish the project you have started.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Don, your candid approach speaks volumes of your character. It is only natural that your son should want to hang on to your project. His interest in doing so indicates a determination to see it through in your honor.

Please let us know when and if we may be of assistance... you and yours are in our thoughts and prayers.

I could only see three older pictures of your project in your profile. Do you have other pictures you could share? It might be helpful to have an idea of where you are on the project.

God bless!
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

I tip my hat to you Don.....

You can tell the mettle of a man when he faces his own demise with grace and dignity.
                            Giving your best effort while visiting this infested ball is getting harder and harder to do...

People should click on Oldguy's member widget and then click on 'view profile' and then 'find all started threads'...
                            It's a good read, and Don has been a thoughtful member on this forum.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

At the age of seventy-one, I, too, have started thinking toward the end of this trip. I am fortunate to have the wife and son that I do to take care of things. Unfortunately, my grandson is the only family member who shares my love of Studebakers. As it stands today, my grandson gets the truck, and the convertible remains a family car if I should depart this life.
                              It's not the value of the automovile or truck, it's the sharing of the love for them and the memory of times spent with them. That can be working on them, talking about them, sitting in them, I appreciate that you have a son to carry on your dreams.
                              Let's hope we meet at the Universal Studebaker Meet someday. Until then, I hope you have a replica of your car, restored to your liking, waiting on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                              X