Greyhound for shipping sheet metal UPDATED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyhound for shipping sheet metal UPDATED

I have seen Greyhound recommended several times for shipping doors or fenders. Has anyone had any actual experience doing this? If so how did it go for you?

UPDATE:

I bought 3 C/K fenders from a vendor in MA. Shipped by Greyhound on Oct. 22. Arrived on Oct. 27, 30 and Nov. 3. Required transfers in Cincinnati, Dayton, Denver, and Portland. They all arrived in good shape, cost $245. Vendor had to argue with Greyhound and show them there own rules to get them to ship the rear fender. So, outside of the anxiety caused by them all arriving separately, it worked out well.
    Last edited by ddub; 11-03-2012, 01:53 PM.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

I've done it before and feet it to be the best way to ship large, bulky items like body parts. It was actually UPS doing it through Greyhound.

The prices are really good and you can ship large and odd-sized items (within reason). I would still recommend packing whatever it is well but less people handle the packages than other UPS shipping. I sent a couple of Lark fenders (with inner fenders) all the way cross country and they arrived in great condition. One drawback is that you have to be near a Greyhound station and so does the recipient.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Maybe a decade ago I received a complete Lark inner/outer front fender assembly from Dakotas to PA. Could not have worked out better. Always best if it's an express bus; no transfers. 'Course, that was a decade ago.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had 2 doors for my 51 Champion shipped from Virginia to Florida. No problems at all and the price was very reasonable.

Comment

Six months ago I shipped two 1922 Buick fenders (long and heavy) wrapped and taped in bubble wrap from Baltimore, MD to Tacoma, WA. Just took four days depot to depot. The cost was $60 each per fender. No issues or problems.
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

Gentlemen, Just last week I received a quarter panel & 2 fins, all NOS, from Wisconson, and received in Denver with no problems. It only took about 4 days. Considering the large size & 2 packages, the cost to ship wasn't bad. About $100 bucks..

Comment

I did the tape and bubble wrap too - it really helps since there is no box to protect a big item.
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

First thing I received via Greyhound was a NOS 64-66 Lark front bumper from Northern Florida to Kansas City. Couple of years later a pickup truck rear bumper from South Carolina to KC. Then a pickup rear fender from central Florida to KC. Currently waiting for a 64 Lark front fender, with inner fender attached, purchased on eBay to make it here from Murietta California. First three were trouble free. Still waiting on the latest one to get here, but it's been less than a week since purchase was made. First 2 were wrapped in cardboard. Truck fender was just double bagged in black trash bags.
                Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
                \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Thanks all.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I shipped 2 1939 Chevrolet bumpers and braces from AR. to FL for @75.00 and they got there in less than 2 days. On heavy bulky items it is my prefered shipper.

Comment

I sent Dave Arnold a Lark convertible door a couple years ago that ran right around $100.00 perhaps due to its weight the way I packed it. I used a couple of wooden pallets & some fiberboard so it became heavy but I understand it made it through the trip well. I got some rear fenders for my 60 from SASCO back in 08 that came by way of Greyhound & presented no problems.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Did a Lark nose panel exchange coast to coast a couple of years ago, and just a couple of months ago I sent Allstate Guy a pair of 60 Lark rear seat frames from Pa to Vegas with no problems. Biggest downer is having to drive 40 minutes to the depot. Glad to give Greyhound the business, and, in today's economy, I'm sure they'd rather have something making them money in those empty luggage holds.
                        JS
                        Last edited by LarkTruck; 05-27-2012, 03:32 AM.
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Back when I used GH to ship c + k rear fenders,some lark front fenders + other bulky items.they did a great job start to finish,never any lost parts or damage either!driver even gave me a view of the storage area,they even took living room stuff.but I think 80" is max length,and they were the cheapest for price.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Recently sent a 44 rear axle halfway across the country for a hundred bucks. Think - HEAVY! Also sent complete inner/outer front fenders for a 51 car - all the way to PA from CA for $60 bucks. Timely and CASO-priced
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I sent a C/K gas tank from Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Florida a couple of months ago (in a big padded box) for $48. It arrived in perfect condition 4 days later.
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X