A Dollar a Pound Teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dollar a Pound Teaser

Anyone care to guess the Post-War Studebaker model (base without options) that came closest to retailing for a dollar a pound ? (The one in mind was $1.0085/lb. by my limited somewhat records)

I don't know what you had in mind, but a 1958 Golden Hawk was 1.0009428 per pound.
    Last edited by studegary; 05-27-2012, 12:13 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My data shows the '57 closer but you probably have better data. Just interesting I thought. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
        My data shows the '57 closer but you probably have better data. Just interesting I thought. Thanks, Dan
        My 1.0009 IS closer than your 1.008 to 1:1 by an order of magnitude.
        I have the 1957 Golden Hawk at $0.999058 per pound.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Studegary, as I said you probably have better data. Actually my info shows the '57 GH weighed 3185 lb. and listed for $3182.00 which is 0.999058 dollars per pound. The '58 GH by my info show it gained a few pounds to 3470 and went up less to $3282 yeilding 0.94582 per pound. I certainly conceed to your information. Thanks for your indulgence !! Hope you have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Dan

Comment

Studegary, as I said you probably have better data. Actually my info shows the '57 GH weighed 3185 lb. and listed for $3182.00 which is 0.999058 dollars per pound. The '58 GH by my info show it gained a few pounds to 3470 and went up less to $3282 yeilding 0.94582 per pound. I certainly conceed to your information. Thanks for your indulgence !! Hope you have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Dan
            I agree with the above. It was your initial $1.0085/lb that started my inputs.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Studegary, are your figures for the '58 the same as mine? What could have made the car gain almost 300 pounds?? I can understand a 100 dollar price increase but the weight baffles me. Thanks, Dan

Comment

You guys have way too much time on your hands!!! <G>
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Studegary, are your figures for the '58 the same as mine? What could have made the car gain almost 300 pounds?? I can understand a 100 dollar price increase but the weight baffles me. Thanks, Dan
                  Yes, I have the same weights as you list. There is a 285 pound increase. They went from 15 inch to 14 inch wheels/tires, but they should weigh less, if anything. There are some things standard on the 1958 that were optional on the 1957. For example, wheel discs (wheelcovers) were standard in 1958 and optional in 1957 (remember we are discussing Golden Hawks). Back-up lights and front bumper guards are two more things that went from option to standard. That's enough to make the point. Maybe others can come up with other items.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                    You guys have way too much time on your hands!!! <G>
                    Not really (at least for me), but I would rather do things that I enjoy rather than things that I "should" be doing.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                    X