Tip o' the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Tip o' the Day

If you should get paint over spray on your glasses, detailing clay does a great job of taking it off quickly and leaves them smooth and clear as new.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

It seems expensive the first time you lay out $$ for a nice sized block of detailing clay is one of the most valuable tools to have in the garage...or your trunk, for that matter. Before reaching for polish or rubbing compound to eradicate a surface flaw I ALWAYS try the clay first. 9/10s of the times, that's all it takes. Spot wax and off you go!

It'll last as long as you don't drop it on the ground!
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Sounds like a good thing. Where does one buy detailing clay, and by what other names is it known?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You can get it at most any auto parts in the section with cleaners and waxes. Also known as Clay Bar. It is a great product for taking dirt, paint or other contaminants off of your paint that normal washing doesn't remove. After "claying" your paint it will feel so smooth and slick it will amaze you. I use it on my car once a year, usually in the spring when I do my annual buff and wax. Just follow the instructions on the package. I like Adams products, but Meguiars, Mothers and other wax companies have it also. Here is a link that includes a video of how it is done.

Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I keep one clay bar for just cleaning bugs from the front of my Stude. Just spray some Quick Detailer on the bugged up area and run the clay bar over same area and the bugs are gone. Also works well removing tar. Better than any debugging product I've used.
          Jim Barker
          '70' Avanti II

Comment

Working...
          X