NOS Avanti Horn Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Avanti Horn Button

Years ago I purchased an Avanti horn button from SIA of St Louis. It was NOS, and I still have it on My '63 (I also used it in a '67 and a '64 I used to own) The thing about it is the 'STUDEBAKER
    CORPORATION' lettering on it is at least twice the size as You'd expect to see on the factory horn
    buttons. Is this rare? Was Studebaker going to introduce a new horn button with larger lettering
    had they continued to build Avantis? It looks a bit nicer, in My opinion.

I have one of those also. I raised that question many years ago in Turning Wheels, I think. I don't remember ever getting an explanation or reason. I suspect that there were 2 designs offered with a batch of samples, and the smaller text was the one chosen. I've never seen a large text button installed on an Avanti. I guess I've never seen your cars or I would have questioned it. Rarity? I don't know. I can't recall where I picked up mine, but it may have been SIA, as I purchased a lot of parts for my 1st Avanti from Bob Johnson. Since he's now at SI, perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.

Comment

Well,. this is "picking nits", I realize - but in the strictest sense, it's really NOT a horn button. It's really just an emblem. That said, since I have what's likely THE most complete display of Stude horn buttons (and I DO have one of these emblems - the smaller lettered one) I'd sure like to see a picture of what you two are talking about.

EDIT: I wonder if these were the ones they applied faux woodgrain to for the Avanti IIs ? Snybody know?
      Last edited by Roscomacaw; 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

To: Roscomacaw,---- I do have one of those 'A' type early Avanti II horn buttons (emblems) with the wood grain decal. I peeled back the decal and found the regular 'factory type' small STUDEBAKER CORPORATION lettering.

Comment

Thanks for the insight
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X