Failed Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Inspection

Went to a "Meineke" to get my Hawk inspected and ended up getting into an argument with the guy when he told me I had excess 'wheel play'. I told him that he was mistaken, that the front end is very tight since it was redone 12,000 miles ago. I asked him to show me and with the car on the lift he grabs the left tire and starts moving it right and left to show me. I pointed to the opposite tire and said "That one is moving too, just like it should be!".

Needless to say I need to take it back to my regular mechanic. Guys, believe me when I tell you - there is NO discernable looseness in the front end. Frustrating to say the least.

I also got failed on a crack in the windshield, but I half expected that and its on my 'to do' list.

No driving Dorothy around this memorial day weekend.
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

To: R David,------ I have to tell You Meineke is probably the last place I'd bring a collector vehicle to for a sticker. You need to find a local repair station that may have a better understanding of older
    vehicles, and go back there all the time. When it comes to inspection stickers, it's good to be on a 'first name' basis.

Comment

Had an inspector fault "excessive play" in Stude power steering as well.
      He changed this minds after I started the engine and let the PS pump take up the slop in the control valve.

Had a friend who was told that the brake fluid in his '59 Lark was low.
      That inspector got over ridden by the boss after my friend pointed out that the inspector was looking in the steering box filler.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        To: R David,------ I have to tell You Meineke is probably the last place I'd bring a collector vehicle to for a sticker. You need to find a local repair station that may have a better understanding of older
        vehicles, and go back there all the time. When it comes to inspection stickers, it's good to be on a 'first name' basis.
        Agree wholeheartedly. I have a guy in a small town in New Hampshire who I normally take it to, but he is always booked up at least a week in advance. Meineke was able to get me an appointment in a couple of hours (my first warning sign). I took it to there because it is across the street from my work and was convenient. I will never make that mistake again!
        sigpic
        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

NO BIG NATIONAL CHAIN stores anywhere in my future for ANY work. I am sure many people have had good success with a Pep Boys, Meineke, Auto Lube and Tune, Econo Lube and tune, Sears, or any other big chain, but I have heard TOO many horror stories. I only use shops that I can talk to the mechanic himself, and he will be there the next time I go, and the next time......

Most of those chain stores roll employees as fast as they change underwear. I just do not trust them for anything.

Comment

I'm so happy to live in a non inspection state!
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
              You and me both! There is no way Ely would pass an inspection. Rust issues.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                You and me both! There is no way Ely would pass an inspection. Rust issues.
                Arizona is the same way and so is California and in neither state has emissions inspection since the cutoff year is 1966 here in Az.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I wasn't going to name names, as Kelly did; I was going to point out that most of the chain stores have a policy that, if the mechanic can't sell parts he (or she) is down the road.
                  I've known my mechanic for over thirty years. He owns his own shop. I've also known others for over thirty years whom I would not trust with my car.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Inspections

The last time I got my truck inspected the Jiffy Lube said their guy had to pull it into the bay because of insurance rules.

OK... so I sat and watched as this young black guy comes out and gets in the truck. He sat there a couple of minutes looking around the cab, then tried to start it. That didn't work out too well because the truck was still in gear. After another minute he got out, looked at me and asked if it was my truck. I said it was and he asked me to pull it into the shop.

I'm not even sure the guy knew how to drive a stick, and obviously had never seen a three on the tree.
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

When I lived in Fla. The state ran the inspection stations. They failed my 62 Lark for excessive play in the ball joints. Then they passed my Chevy truck which had no rear brakes at all. when they told me to pull onto the treads and hit the brakes, I also popped the clutch. They said "Brakes OK, pull on through."

After I moved to GA. Local garages did the inspecting. I pulled up to one where the owner had broken his foot working on a race car. He was sitting in a recliner out front. I said "Hey,Ronnie, I need a sticker for this truck" I was pulling a Mixer and had the truck loaded down with construction equiptment. Ronnie asked "Any thing wrong with it?" I said "Not that I know of." Ronnie turned to his wife and said "Wright Neil up a sticker."
                      Now that was EASY. They soon disbanded the safty inspection program in Ga.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                        After I moved to GA. Local garages did the inspecting. I pulled up to one where the owner had broken his foot working on a race car. He was sitting in a recliner out front. I said "Hey,Ronnie, I need a sticker for this truck" I was pulling a Mixer and had the truck loaded down with construction equiptment.
                        Ronnie asked "Any thing wrong with it?" I said "Not that I know of."
                        Ronnie turned to his wife and said "Write Neil up a sticker."
                        They soon disbanded the saftey inspection program in GA.
                        Was there a connection, Neil? BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Could be as good as Alberta's at the time: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=alberta

Pay close attention to the front suspension on the safety form.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            May have been too much of a good thing. I thought the system worked pretty well. I got a sticker, Ronnie and the state of Ga. both got some of my money. Everyone was happy.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                              When I lived in Fla. The state ran the inspection stations. They failed my 62 Lark for excessive play in the ball joints. Then they passed my Chevy truck which had no rear brakes at all. when they told me to pull onto the treads and hit the brakes, I also popped the clutch. They said "Brakes OK, pull on through."

After I moved to GA. Local garages did the inspecting. I pulled up to one where the owner had broken his foot working on a race car. He was sitting in a recliner out front. I said "Hey,Ronnie, I need a sticker for this truck" I was pulling a Mixer and had the truck loaded down with construction equiptment. Ronnie asked "Any thing wrong with it?" I said "Not that I know of." Ronnie turned to his wife and said "Wright Neil up a sticker."
                              Now that was EASY. They soon disbanded the safty inspection program in Ga.
                              The inspector didn't realize your Lark doesn't even HAVE ball joints?

Comment

Working...
                              X