Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the attic #10 (1964 showroom banners - Avanti, Hawk, Daytona etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the attic #10 (1964 showroom banners - Avanti, Hawk, Daytona etc.)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Three more. The Hawk banner is the same size as the others it was just shot at a different angle.
    Richard Quinn

Comment

Dick,
      Thanks for your posting. I do not recall seeing these images previously.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Those are really cool!
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Very nice...and rare indeed.

'Any idea why they were not more widely distributed, Dick? Did dealers have to pay for them and they came along so late in calendar year 1963 that dealers who saw the handwriting on the wall decided to forgo the expense....or??? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great items! Very interesting to see an example of how the LARK name was swapped to Commander and Challenger.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Very nice...and rare indeed. BP
              Are they that rare? I've got the Daytona banner and another, I can't remember which, plus I've seen them on eBay in the past year or two.

Nick

Comment

I have a Daytona banner. The bottom is bad. I don't think the paper lasted very long so there's probably not many out there in nice shape. There was a few of them hanging up at Reedsville when I was there a few years ago. There was a Hawk and Champ banner on ebay a year or two ago. The Hawk sold pretty fast but the Champ one was on there longer.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Anybody have any '63 banners?

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                    Very nice, thanks for sharing. Anybody have any '63 banners?
                    Yes; pretty much a full set of originals. Bequeathed to me from John Knapp when removed from the showroom of Snider Auto Service in Indianapolis at the end of the 1963 model year. See the April 2012 Co-Operator in Turning Wheels.

Obviously, they're not for sale, and are being stored in a cool, dark place away from sunlight.

Ironically, to the best of my knowledge, Snider never had or displayed a set of these subject banners from Dick. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I'm in NO WAY being critical of your choiice in keeping those banners you have in seclusion. But I'm curious as to what end are they stored? Do you see them as an investment nugget to your estate - a time capsule to delight future Stude nuts - what? They COULD - admittedly at some cost - be framed or preserved so that they could be hung and enjoyed without suffering deterioration. Keeping them in the dark tho - for what? It's like my horn button collection(s). I wouldn't have them if I couldn't have them out where I can see them or show them off.

In fact, I've got boxes and boxes of name scripts, badges, emblems and ID plates from all sorts of vehicles of the 40s on thru the 90s that I'm considering selling en masse because I'm never going to be able to display them as I once envisioned. But someone might appreciate and display (or sell them) and have them enjoy a better fate than hiding out in dusty boxes.

Like I said - just curious.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Bob, I'm in NO WAY being critical of your choiice in keeping those banners you have in seclusion. But I'm curious as to what end are they stored? Do you see them as an investment nugget to your estate - a time capsule to delight future Stude nuts - what? They COULD - admittedly at some cost - be framed or preserved so that they could be hung and enjoyed without suffering deterioration. Keeping them in the dark tho - for what? It's like my horn button collection(s). I wouldn't have them if I couldn't have them out where I can see them or show them off.

Like I said - just curious.
                        Actually, Bob; they're hanging in my small former office in the basement, now used more as a library because I outgrew that square footage when computers came on board and I needed space for all that equipment. It's dark in there because it's in the middle of the basement and I don't turn the lights on unless I'm going in there for something.

I've taken the banners out from time to time for our local SDC Chapter meets and such, but have no immediate plans for them after I'm gone.

'Don't mind your asking; I just hadn't given it much thought. BP

Comment

buiteful thank you for sharing mr Quinn , a wise
                          rawise

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
                            Are they that rare? I've got the Daytona banner and another, I can't remember which, plus I've seen them on eBay in the past year or two.

Nick
                            Well, they are not the Hope Diamond but I would guess probably fewer than 10 or so in the country. I would call that rare but will leave that to your interpretation. The ones you saw at auction on Ebay were probably mine. I had some duplicates without the wood slats on the ends that I ran. Still have the extra Hawk and truck.

Generally Studebaker would send out a package of promotional material at the start of the model year and simply charge it to the dealers parts account so I suspect all dealers got them. I would speculate that their scarcity is due to the fragile nature of the paper. Earlier ones were of course silk.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                              Great items! Very interesting to see an example of how the LARK name was swapped to Commander and Challenger.

A good point and one that I too had noticed. It seems that the Lark name was pretty much dropped from most advertising after 1962-63.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X