Electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fuel pump

I replaced the complete gas line in the Lark... connected the existing electric fuel pump... immediately filled the inline filter with fuel... getting fuel to the carb...

Question: The fuel pump never shuts off- no leaks, carb not running over into the engine... any idea why? Any pump I've ever had in the past, including modern cars, runs for maybe 10 seconds tops, then shuts off...

There's always something to learn....

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

All electric pumps I have had, never shut off. I suspect you are A-OK.

Comment

I don't think the pump does shut off unless it has a built in regulator. My pump runs all the time. I did put an adjustable regulator between the pump and the carb. I think I got the regulator at Auto Zone for around thirty dollars. This regulator does'nt shut the pump off and on it just regulates pressure to whatever you set it at. Hope this helps. BTW to determine if you need a regulator check pressure with a fuel pressure gauge.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I replaced the complete gas line in the Lark... connected the existing electric fuel pump... immediately filled the inline filter with fuel... getting fuel to the carb...

Question: The fuel pump never shuts off- no leaks, carb not running over into the engine... any idea why? Any pump I've ever had in the past, including modern cars, runs for maybe 10 seconds tops, then shuts off...

There's always something to learn....

Parish, central NY 13131
        I've had both kinds- the ones that shut off when they hit a set pressure and the ones that run continuosly. Either is ok though I prefer the ones that shut off. I think the ones NAPA sells are the "shut off" kind (I bought a couple "shut off" versions from J.C. Whitney in the past).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, all... not sure I'm too comfortable with the constant-running pump... probably will switch it out next Spring.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
          X