Distributor ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor ID

I have a Studebaker dual point Prestolite distributor. The metal tag has 1BP-4108 5E on it. What is this out of?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Are you sure it's dual-point, Dick? Could it have been modified?

The 1BP-4108 series I believe is single-point for regular-fuel 1963 V8s.

'Not sure about the 5E suffix, though. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The IBP-4108 distributor has single points and was originally installed in stock 259 or 289 engines. I'll have to go out to the garage to look up the dual point model numbers. It's possible thhat someone used a dual point breaker plate and vacuum advance to build a dual point distributor. You can easily tell which distributor you have by removing the breaker plate and checking the letter stamped on the distributor cam. A single point distributor uses an E cam, the R1's use a P cam and the R2 distributors use a Y cam. The stock E cam has the most centrifugal advance. Bud

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll check that cam letter. It certainly COULD have been modified over the years.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

As an added note, the Pertronix unit for the dual point distributors won't work if your distributor has the E cam installed in it as the O.D. is slightly smaller than the P or Y cams and the plastic reluctor will just spin around on the cam. Bud

Comment

Working...
          X