Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Hawk jack?

Hi All,

Rusty Hawk didn't come with his jack and I've never seen a really clear picture of a P.H. jack. Can anyone tell me if the jack pictured is a P.H. jack? I found this one at the Monroe swap meet today. The thing is in like-new condition, but the guy said that he doesn't know what it's for.

No joy on finding a faux spare lid and spinner.Should have grabbed the one Matthew had on ebay when I had the chance.

Sorry about ths size of the post. Don't know why it came out so huge.
    Last edited by hausdok; 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Studebaker used bumper jacks, the one you bought looks like for a late model car that lifts the vehicle from the side.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

All the ones I've seen don't have a caution decal. Then again, I don't know PHs that well.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

This is from service buliten for Packard 1958 from Packardinfo

look for service letters for 57 Packard number 47 refers to horizontal jack with pictures
        Last edited by acolds; 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Although that is not a stude jack it is the best jack you will find as a road service jack to take on the road . It is really great for the older cars and is about as safe a jack and takes up little room.

Comment

I took a pic of an original Packard Hawk yesterday, and can send it to anyone interested. The one you bought is a good substitute for one.

Comment

Originally posted by oltrknut View Post
              Although that is not a stude jack it is the best jack you will find as a road service jack to take on the road . It is really great for the older cars and is about as safe a jack and takes up little room.
              oltrknut's car is:
              My favorite pic. ever taken of a Studebaker, Hands down.

Dean.

Ps, yes ever.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for yoru responses. I've got the answer. J.D. Engler sent me photos of his P.H. jack. Close, but no cigar. Here's what the real deal looks like. Again, I apologize for the massive size of these picks. Not sure what I'm doing that's causing this. Any of tech-comfortable guys have any suggestions?

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

To tell you the truth, if you can use the jack for your car, go ahead. I remember very well how terrible the bumper jacks were. Every time I used one, I was scared to death that the jack would slip and the car would come down. I wasn't comfortable until the new wheel and tire were safely bolted to the car.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I agree with raprice. I have an original bumper jack for my car, but bought a new expanding frame jack in case I ever really need a jack.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I won't use any bumperjack on my car with the cost of bumper chrome who would want to damage or take chance of damage to chrome. Not me as I only want to pay for rechrome once

Comment

Ive been on the hunt for a better jack as well and Found this one I believe It can be found in 82-92 Camaros Firebirds. plus i think the tire hold down washer looks close to the original. these must have been made by the billions there all over the net used from 34 bucks and up, keep you eyes peeled i just paid 10 bucks at a flee market.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1674925
                        USASTUDE

Comment

Working...
                        X