First impressions after owning my first Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions after owning my first Stude

So I've had the 1960 Lark VIII for a month now and have enjoyed her a lot. Rich Meadows who's a member but not online gave me his blessing when I picked her up and I've been having fun ever since. She was leaving a mark in the garage and have found that it was the seal on the pig and the three speed non overdrive is leaking all over the place at a slow pace.
    I bought the car looking like a hotrod with street slicks on the back and skinnys on the front. It looks cool and sits perfectly but it's a little funny that it's not a ripper. I'd like to beef up the 250 or get/build a hungy Studebaker engine this winter.
    I've been amazed at how well the car drives and handles even with the funny tire setup. It reminds me of a 1970 mercedes six cylinder I had; the faster you go, the smoother the ride is.
    I've been scouring the forum and enjoying the threads, especially in the technical section. I've been to the vendors list and am wondering if there is a certain company I should go with for a transmission rebuild kit?

Thanks!

Geoff

"I can resist everything but temptation."

Welcome to Stude-ville! They're so much fun to drive, and of course work on also!
    The trannys were not unique to Studebaker, and often you can find rebuild, or seal kits at local auto parts stores.

Comment

Welcome to Stude-ville! They're so much fun to drive, and of course work on also!
      The trannys were not unique to Studebaker, and often you can find rebuild, or seal kits at local auto parts stores.

Comment

Congrats on the Lark VIII. You've a really nice choice there. Yes, you really can make that little Lark into a fire-breathing dragon, with the addition of a Paxton Supercharger and other options. It'll take a bit of cash and time though.

If you have joined the club, the Turning Wheels will be a valuable source of information on parts and accessories. If not, joining the club is inexpensive and the magazine is well worth the cost. Try either Studebaker Autoparts Supply Company, in South Bend, or Studebaker International in Greenfield, Indiana. These are the largest parts houses and can help with most general parts needs.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Congrats on the Lark VIII. You've a really nice choice there. Yes, you really can make that little Lark into a fire-breathing dragon, with the addition of a Paxton Supercharger and other options. It'll take a bit of cash and time though.

If you have joined the club, the Turning Wheels will be a valuable source of information on parts and accessories. If not, joining the club is inexpensive and the magazine is well worth the cost. Try either Studebaker Autoparts Supply Company, in South Bend, or Studebaker International in Greenfield, Indiana. These are the largest parts houses and can help with most general parts needs.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I am confused .. isnt a Lark VIII a V8 car?[?]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Yes it is- who said it wasn't[?]

I'm sure Geoff meant to type "259" as 60 Studes don't have anything else close to 250...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I'm sure Geoff meant to type "259" as 60 Studes don't have anything else close to 250...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I guess it was the combination of these three things in the original
                    text. Its a Lark VIII, has a 250, reminds of a mercedes 6 cylinder.
                    Now that I read it again, I see he meant how it runs, not looks.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by DunesMan

So I've had the 1960 Lark VIII for a month now .... I'd like to beef up the 250 or get/build a hungy Studebaker engine this winter..... It reminds me of a 1970 mercedes six cylinder I had...

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Comment

I guess it was the combination of these three things in the original
                      text. Its a Lark VIII, has a 250, reminds of a mercedes 6 cylinder.
                      Now that I read it again, I see he meant how it runs, not looks.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by DunesMan

So I've had the 1960 Lark VIII for a month now .... I'd like to beef up the 250 or get/build a hungy Studebaker engine this winter..... It reminds me of a 1970 mercedes six cylinder I had...

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Comment

Whoops! I fat fingered that key. I meant 259.
                        The Lark reminds me of the Benz in both hood shape and the ride actually. I joined the club and recieved my card in the mail just the other day. I'll have to get in the turning wheels section it sounds like.

Comment

Whoops! I fat fingered that key. I meant 259.
                          The Lark reminds me of the Benz in both hood shape and the ride actually. I joined the club and recieved my card in the mail just the other day. I'll have to get in the turning wheels section it sounds like.

Comment

Working...
                          X