Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on this customized K coupe -"Rodster"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on this customized K coupe -"Rodster"?

Hi,

Ok, so in a fit of madness I just bought this customized (some might say butchered) 53/54 coupe "rodster".

Does anyone have any info on it?

Best,

John M

john@dnaprods.com
    Attached Files

I don't know anything about it.

I'd actually had the idea to do something similar with a Hawk and to create something with an interior like the earliest vettes. On my paper concept the doors were lengtened a little bit and I'd moved the rear fender wells and axle farther to the rear and shortened the rear fins - giving the interior a little more room and reducing that section of body behind the rear wheels by about half. It gave the car a more balanced look. It looked pretty good. I don't know how to use photoshop, so I just got a decent side shot of a car, printed it off about ten or fifteen times and started cutting and overlapping with an x-acto knife. I was thinking of purchasing a couple of plastic car models of Studebaker Hawks, if I can find any, and doing the same thing in plastic to see what it would look like.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

As Arte Johnson used to say "Veddy Interesting" Looks like you could have a lot of fun with that. Any plans for it yet?
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

How about some more pictures. Looks like you might have fun with this. Good luck !!

Comment

Veddy Interesting indeed!

I will post some more pics when I get it delivered.

My initial thought is to get it running (of course it is dead), and see how it drives. It is actually road legal and licensed till next year in CA!

John M

Comment

Of course I can't find anything on it now but I remember reading an article somewhere about a 53/54/55 Studebaker coupe customized as a "rodeo car."
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

It looks like it couldbe great fun. I can't wait to see what you make of it. And to all the naysayers that fuss at you for cutting it up, you can honestly say you bought it that way. It's sure to get a lot of curiosity seekers so you have a great opportunity to promote Studebakers. Glad to see you saved it.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for this post. Custom '53/'54's are of great interest to me. Anybody know of any that were done in the 50's like ours?
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I love it. I seem to remember someone posting some pics of something similar for sale a few months back. It was a shortened, fixed drop door, open top deal. But it looked rougher and alot fiberglass work if I remember correctly.

I would love to see it in person. I like the lines and it is reminiscient of an early Jag or Austin Healy with the dropped doors. I think it could use some cleaning up on the rear behind the seats, but that would be pretty easy.

Keep us posted please.

Comment

John,

I found that glued-up composite I made. I don't have a scanner, so I just photographed it next to the original photo. This might give you some ideas.

Hope it displays alright.

Last edited by hausdok; 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM.
                    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird
                    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Anything done will be an improvement at this point As lomg as you like it who cares. cheers, have fun jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                      X