Wagonaire Air Deflector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire Air Deflector

While in SB, I spotted this really nice '63 Wagonaire with a set of unique air deflectors on the back. Are these original Accessories, or something that might have come from JC Whitney?

The reason I ask, is there's a set just like these at the shop that were pulled from one of the parts cars. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

While in SB, I spotted this really nice '63 Wagonaire with a set of unique air deflectors on the back. Are these original Accessories, or something that might have come from JC Whitney?
    They were a VERY common aftermarket station wagon item back in the sixties. I remember almost every station wagon had a pair of them at one time.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

They were a VERY common aftermarket station wagon item back in the sixties. I remember almost every station wagon had a pair of them at one time.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig!

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Craig!

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

They were used to deflect wind past the rear glass to keep it clean(er) from road dirt & dust. Like mini vans today, turbulence behind the car tended to keep the glass dirty. Newer cars and vans, SUV's, etc, have them on the roof aiming the wind downward. I had a '69 Dodge Monaco wagon that had the same style as pictured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

They were used to deflect wind past the rear glass to keep it clean(er) from road dirt & dust. Like mini vans today, turbulence behind the car tended to keep the glass dirty. Newer cars and vans, SUV's, etc, have them on the roof aiming the wind downward. I had a '69 Dodge Monaco wagon that had the same style as pictured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Matt; that looks like the Regal Red, Regal '63 Wagonaire that we saw at the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN on Sunday after the the SB Meet, very nice Wagon.

He had his temporary mount front fender trailer mirrors on and his really nice 16ft. or so 1960's vintage Airstream on back! Really an impressive pair! Never got to meet the gentleman, they were gone when we came out of the two museums in Auburn.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Matt; that looks like the Regal Red, Regal '63 Wagonaire that we saw at the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN on Sunday after the the SB Meet, very nice Wagon.

He had his temporary mount front fender trailer mirrors on and his really nice 16ft. or so 1960's vintage Airstream on back! Really an impressive pair! Never got to meet the gentleman, they were gone when we came out of the two museums in Auburn.

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, all,
                    This is our Wagonaire...thanks for the kind comments. This car had these deflectors on it when we pulled it out of the boneyard a few years ago, and we liked the look and function of them, so we decided to keep them. We have had two other Wagonaires with identical deflectors, so we inferred that they were an original factory or dealer option. (Does anyone know?)

We had a blast of a three-week roadtrip with the Wagonaire (Carl) and '59 Airstream Globetrotter (Ramona). From South Bend, we went to Jackson Center, Ohio (home of the Airstream factory) and then on to Perry, Georgia for the Airstream International Rally. We spent about a week in Georgia and then went on down south to Florida and then northwest to head back to Colorado.

Great advice given from a veteran Airstreamer: Drive slow, stop often, and take lots of pictures.

~Lori

"The Common Sense Car"
                    "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                    '63 Lark "Lucy"
                    '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                    A bunch of other Larks
                    '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Hi, all,
                      This is our Wagonaire...thanks for the kind comments. This car had these deflectors on it when we pulled it out of the boneyard a few years ago, and we liked the look and function of them, so we decided to keep them. We have had two other Wagonaires with identical deflectors, so we inferred that they were an original factory or dealer option. (Does anyone know?)

We had a blast of a three-week roadtrip with the Wagonaire (Carl) and '59 Airstream Globetrotter (Ramona). From South Bend, we went to Jackson Center, Ohio (home of the Airstream factory) and then on to Perry, Georgia for the Airstream International Rally. We spent about a week in Georgia and then went on down south to Florida and then northwest to head back to Colorado.

Great advice given from a veteran Airstreamer: Drive slow, stop often, and take lots of pictures.

~Lori

"The Common Sense Car"
                      "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                      '63 Lark "Lucy"
                      '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                      A bunch of other Larks
                      '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

The ones in the first picture are the same shape as mine, but mine do not have the bolts. Mine came off of an very original 64 Commander wagon. Yours could be right for a 63.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
                        58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
                        58 Packard Hardtop
                        58 Packard Sedan
                        57 Packard Wagon
                        62 Daytona
                        63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2

Comment

The ones in the first picture are the same shape as mine, but mine do not have the bolts. Mine came off of an very original 64 Commander wagon. Yours could be right for a 63.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
                          58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
                          58 Packard Hardtop
                          58 Packard Sedan
                          57 Packard Wagon
                          62 Daytona
                          63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2

Comment

Lori it is great to hear that you made it back safely. Take care

Comment

Lori it is great to hear that you made it back safely. Take care

Comment

Working...
                              X