Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 05-18, 1957 Oldsmobile

Craig

These cars were so elegant with the 3 piece back window and other styling and power touches ! My uncle Henry came down to Tennessee in his brand new 57 Olds to visit and that was my 1st time in a car that actually seemed too powerful ! He had a gold 2 door, with the J-2 engine and automatic. Of course I didn't know what J-2 meant, just knew it was wider and had more carbs and power than my Dads little black and white 4 door Champion 6 cylinder. Henry let my oversize cousin drive it (we were 11 !!!!!!) out the little country road by my Grandmothers house in Pine Orchard, and I remember us getting every way but straight at one point once we got out of site of the house. Scared us both to death !! Ha !! Great memories, thanks, John

Comment

A friend of my brother's owned a 1957 Olds 98 4-door sedan about 1968-70. That car seemed like a rocket ship on wheels to a boy of four or five. I later 9Ca. 1982) owned a really nice 1966 Olds 88 "Celebrity" with a Super Rocket 396 V-8 for a couple years and I loved it, but it didn't have the "Gravitas" of a 1957.
      Last edited by Lothar; 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM. Reason: Get it right.
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

In the mid-80s I came so close to buying one of these for my first car. It was white over gray with a red sweep in the trim, for $2500.
        I called the lady who had the '62 Hawk for sale the prior spring to see if she'd lowered price. For me she did and the Olds was history.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Wow, Craig; there's a Studebaker connection, there!

I thought the color, while stock, looked unusual. So I checked the 1954-1959 Martin-Senour color chip book I keep here for reference. Lo and behold, that color appears to be 1956-1958 Oldsmobile Codes 90 / 92, which they called: Rose Mist!

Small world. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X