Carroll Shelby Passed on at 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carroll Shelby Passed on at 89

I just read Carrol Shelby passed tonight at the age of 89 , He was a true Racers racer , Prayers to his family , RIP

We should try not to start multiple threads on the same subject. This was started earlier, just a few down the page:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

To: Bob Andrews,-----Carroll Shelby just might be worth a second thread Bob.

Comment

The first AC Cobra was built using a rear end salvaged from a Studebaker. No kidding.

Comment

The first CSX 2000 and all other Cobra's had independent rear suspension that used a Salisbury pumpkin. Studebaker and others used the same Salisbury carrier, but with solid tube axles.

Bob Caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

Three threads. One as a driver, one as a team owner, one as a manufacturer.
            He won LeMans three times, once in each category.
            Day.
            Umm.

Comment

They used a stude center section and modified it.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                Could you please tell me where you found this information .

Bob Caser
                mrbobinc

Comment

I was lucky enough to have a one on one conversation with Carroll Shelby at the SAAC convention in Charlotte back in 1994 (I think it was 94) . We spoke briefly on the show field and before the banquet, I was sitting in the lobby and Shelby sat beside me and started talking. I will never forget the conversation we had. Smart and funny man.
                  Last edited by starliner62; 05-14-2012, 01:23 AM.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

I suppose it is/was possible, since Studebaker bought their differentials from Dana.
                    A Dana differential purchased from a Studebaker dealer, or a Studebaker parts distribution center?
                    You'd need an original P.O. (or invoice) to be sure.....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The only week point on Cobras were the stub axles. The rear end was assembled and shipped from England with the rolling chassis. As is known the engine and trans was put in here in the states. The rear end gears were Salisbury/ Spicer/ Dana who became one company thru mergers in 1946.
                      So the ring and pinion as shipped from the UK would have been a Dana 44 type.

Bob Caser
                      mrbobinc

Comment

Just heard yesterday myself.
                        Very Sad news!
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                          Could you please tell me where you found this information .

Bob Caser
                          Bob,
                          The info came from an interview with Shelby, maybe 25 or more yrs ago. He was talking about how crude the original concept car was. I naturally remember the specific about the Stude rear end as I worked for Ford and drove Studes back then. Do some more research and see what you find but somewhere it is in print. Just one of those things a Stude guy doesn't forget.

Comment

Bob,
                            The info came from an interview with Shelby, maybe 25 or more yrs ago. He was talking about how crude the original concept car was. I naturally remember the specific about the Stude rear end as I worked for Ford and drove Studes back then. Do some more research and see what you find but somewhere it is in print. Just one of those things a Stude guy doesn't forget.
                            Nels,
                            Thank you for your response, i have a pretty extensive library in Avanti, Cobra and mid year Corvettes materials. Never saw a thing about Studebaker rear ends though.
                            In 1965 I visited Paxton products to see about a R3 motor, they quoted a price that to me did not seem worth it at the time. I took what money I had and purchased a Shelby Cobra ( CSX2297 ), kept it several months and traded it in for a new Corvette.
                            I also have a automotive aftermarket back-round for the past 40 odd years and a pretty good memory to boot. I have owned many Avanti's, Corvettes and Cobras,and still maintain a passion for each marque.
                            Over the years I did have contact with Carroll Shelby and most recently when I did some work for Superformance, the only replica that Shelby licensed for reproduction. The last meeting I had with Shelby he was talking about the time he spent in South Africa on his ranch. He looked at his watch and excused himself to go to a appointment with a stem cell doctor. He fought till the end for a fuller life.

Shelby did borrow something from another Studebaker notable Raymond Loewy. " Surround yourself with great people "

Bob Caser
                            mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                              Shelby did borrow something from another Studebaker notable Raymond Loewy. " Surround yourself with great people "
                              Bob Caser
                              To name two: Ken Miles...race car driver and engineer, Peter Brock..who designed the Cobra Coupe.

Miles was killed while testing a prototype...they say Shelby grieved about it for the rest of his life (something you can say about many other race car builders).
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X