PDA

View Full Version : Monroe, WA - the LARGEST swap meet in the state!

cultural infidel
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Who all is heading to the Meet? It'd be nice to put a face with a screen name.

Haven't checked with James to see if it is ok, but would anyone be willing to bring a trunk lid down from B'ham? I dont know when I will be able to get up there to pick it up and would like to get it put on the car sooner than later. Let me know! :)

silverhawk
05-10-2012, 11:57 PM
I will! Can't guarantee the lark will be, but I'm going to try (Long story. Also, sorry I haven't gotten back to the blog, been pretty busy lately :/ ) What day(s) you going to be there?

StudeDave57
05-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I have lost track of when that major all makes
Pacific NorthWest Swap Meet is...

has anyone got the dates handy? :confused:

cultural infidel
05-11-2012, 12:08 AM
AUTO SWAP
5/19/2012 - 5/20/2012
12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Early Ford V-8 Club's Auto Swap Meet
Information: www.efv8psrg.org or
800-645-4997
Times: Sat 8am-5pm; Sun 9am-2pm
Free Admission
$7.00 parking per space
Locaton: throughout Fairgrounds

I will be heading there Saturday morning to afternoon. At least that is the plan as of now.

StudeDave57
05-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Haven't checked with James to see if it is ok, but would anyone be willing to bring a trunk lid down from B'ham?

I will be heading there Saturday morning to afternoon. At least that is the plan as of now.
We'll be taking a look at the calender and go from there. Maybe I can find out if any other Whatcom County SDC folks plan to attend? I'm sure there will be someone from 'way up here' going to the swap meet 'way down there'. :ohmy: :woot:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

gordr
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I have been to this swap on several occasions. Not as big as Portland; you can pretty well "do" it all in a day. But lots of friendly people.

cultural infidel
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Im pretty excited to check it out. Who knows what weird oddities that I can find!

(S)
05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
You should re- title this post to read monroe, WA - the LARGEST swap meet in the state.

s2dwagon
05-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Or, if anyone is heading this way, even before the meet, they could drop it off at my house and you could pick it up that weekend.

--Scott

cultural infidel
05-11-2012, 04:41 PM
You should re- title this post to read monroe, WA - the LARGEST swap meet in the state.

annnnnnnd DONE!

Or, if anyone is heading this way, even before the meet, they could drop it off at my house and you could pick it up that weekend.

--Scott

That would also be most excellent

silverhawk
05-11-2012, 10:05 PM
see you there guys!!! I'll try to have my blue lark S.W there, hopefully it will be back together then....

billslark
05-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I"ll be heading to Monroe on Friday and stay the night, then hit the swap meet Saturday morning.

Bill

silverhawk
05-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll try to wear a brown sweatshirt that has "Chickasha" in big letters across the back, with a 1912 model T pictured below it; if anyone see's me feel free to introduce yourself! :D

gordr
05-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Sean, here are pics of the dog dish hubcaps I have.http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/DogDishes.jpg, and http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/MoreDogDishes.jpg .

I have plenty of the ones on either end in the first photo, but only two of the nice shiny one in the middle. I could probably find four of either end type that would shine up to "driver grade" with a little metal polish. Let me know if you want them.

I gave you the wrong cellphone number in the PM. My Tracphone is 406-291-1682. Anybody wanting to meet up with me at Monroe is welcome to call.

woodysrods
05-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I went last year for the first time in years. Had a great time seeing all my old friends.
But, there was not much Studebaker stuff there???????????????
Fortunately I was able to go last year because it didn't fall on the same weekend as the Blossom Run ....a Rod Run hosted by the two Street Rod Clubs I belong to, that has fallen on our May long weekend for the past 30 years.
I have not missed one!
Good Roads
Brian

cultural infidel
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Gord-
Those nice shiny ones sure are purrrdy. That would be an awesome set. I like the looks of the one on the left in the first picture. It looks to be just about the same style as the middle one. These are going on a driver, so perfection is not necessary. Elbow grease to shine will be used!

I told my wife I was hoping to get some hubcaps..her response, "then why are you painting the wheels!?" lol My response, "Why do you paint your toenails then put on shoes?" She got a little red in the face then started laughing and called me an ass :) I then showed her DaTinmans wheels with caps "Oh I like that a lot." Thats why I'm doing it dear.

Are those some Alexander Keiths that you are tossing back there? haha

Thanks again!

Roscomacaw
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm confused Gord. Are those DOG dish, or CAT dish caps???

BTW, CI - the caps on the right would be what your car would have come with.

gordr
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, those are Keith's IPA. Not bad, not my favorite.
I will find the best 4 of the hubcaps on the left, and bring them along, also the 2 shiny ones, since less than a full set is of little use to me, and I think they may be for U.S.-made models only. So you may have a better chance of matching them up than I do. Most of my cars wind up with full wheels discs, anyway.

cultural infidel
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes, those are Keith's IPA. Not bad, not my favorite.
I will find the best 4 of the hubcaps on the left, and bring them along, also the 2 shiny ones, since less than a full set is of little use to me, and I think they may be for U.S.-made models only. So you may have a better chance of matching them up than I do. Most of my cars wind up with full wheels discs, anyway.

I remember many good times tossing back some AK's in Whistler.... With some Sleemans Honey Browns as well. Whistler was always a good time for sure.

You sir, are a scholar and a saint. Thanks for bringing those down for me. I'll give you a call once I get to the swap...

Anyone coming down from Bham that has room for that lid?

StudeDave57
05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Anyone coming down from Bham that has room for that lid?
Most of the 'usual suspects' I have talked to are going on the Northwest OverDrive in Boise that same weekend instead. I have not decided what I am doing yet... :ohmy: :eek: :rolleyes:

silverhawk
05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
So, it looks like I shall be there both Friday and Saturday (Friday due to having a close friend being a vendor, and me getting a dissasembled car body OUT of there before the crowds arrive), but most likely with out my arm (The blue station wagon, not my literal one, it just feels like it at times) Unless things come together really fast, it's still going to be in the assembly stage of it's tranny swap.

Ya'll can give me a hollar at 425 two80 21ninety5 (Just replace words with numbers, due to evading internet search engines), if you would like to meet up there

cultural infidel
05-17-2012, 12:27 AM
i'll be easy to spot in my "I Love Guns N Coffee" Hoodie

cultural infidel
05-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Most of the 'usual suspects' I have talked to are going on the Northwest OverDrive in Boise that same weekend instead. I have not decided what I am doing yet... :ohmy: :eek: :rolleyes:

This is the first that I have heard of that event. Looks like a good one, from what I have found on the web.

StudeDave57
05-18-2012, 03:16 PM
This is the first that I have heard of that event. Looks like a good one, from what I have found on the web.
The one or two that I have been on were indeed fun events. At one of them I managed to snag the 'hard luck' trophy due to the slobering bull dog my friend had brought along for the ride~ goood stuff indeed!!! :eek: :ohmy: :!:

You really oughta join your local SDC Chapter, or keep tabs on the SDC events page. That way events in like the NW OverDrive (or the up-coming Zone Meet in Tacoma) won't sneak up on you quite as easily. ;)

cultural infidel
05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Ill be joining up one of these days.

Well any one else heading there tomorrow?

hausdok
05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I'd never been,

This thread got me curious so I went. If you saw a guy walking around with a very small dog (tiny actually at less than 4 pounds) following him around that was me. I must have been stopped by a hundred folks wanting to know what breed he was, worried about him getting trampled or wondering why he didn't wander off. They needn't have worried; he's extremely adept at avoiding feet and even if he'd lost sight of me he'd have found me - he's got a nose like a bloodhound. Oh, the other thing they were worried about was his leaving deposits. Well, he alerts me when he's about to do that with a yip or two, so I can dutifully walk him outside and when we're already outside he alerts me anyway so that I can be sure to bag it.

Whew, there was a lot of stuff to work through there. Kind of confusing the way it's all laid out with booths everywhere. I spent most of Saturday there. Would have loved to have gone back Sunday but with the confusing layout I know that I'd have been just covering the same ground instead of finding the booths I'd missed on Saturday, so I didn't bother to go back. Did manage to pick up some old manuals though.

Lots of Chevy, Ford and Mopar concentrated stuff. It would be kind of cool if the organizers were to organize stuff into clusters. Guys who specialize in Chevy stuff here, Ford stuff here, Mopar stuff here, Stude stuff over there, primarily engine stuff here, bumpers over here, etc. so that it would be easier to find stuff; but maybe they mix it all up intentionally so that folks pretty much have to walk through it all in order to try and find what they're looking for.

One thing that I scored that wasn't old was a 2012 Northwest Car Events Calendar. Holy moly, there are a lot of car events going on around here! I'd never realized it before. There's got to be at least 600 events listed in that calendar. There's been some talk here about the old car hobby dying. I dunno, judging from the crowds at that swap meet and the number of events taking place in this corner of the country alone, I'd say that the old car hobby is still thriving - especially if there are a similar number of events in other parts of the country. Looks like I need to clear my weekend calendar from now on.

cultural infidel
05-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd never been,

This thread got me curious so I went. If you saw a guy walking around with a very small dog (tiny actually at less than 4 pounds) following him around that was me. I must have been stopped by a hundred folks wanting to know what breed he was, worried about him getting trampled or wondering why he didn't wander off. They needn't have worried; he's extremely adept at avoiding feet and even if he'd lost sight of me he'd have found me - he's got a nose like a bloodhound. Oh, the other thing they were worried about was his leaving deposits. Well, he alerts me when he's about to do that with a yip or two, so I can dutifully walk him outside and when we're already outside he alerts me anyway so that I can be sure to bag it.

Whew, there was a lot of stuff to work through there. Kind of confusing the way it's all laid out with booths everywhere. I spent most of Saturday there. Would have loved to have gone back Sunday but with the confusing layout I know that I'd have been just covering the same ground instead of finding the booths I'd missed on Saturday, so I didn't bother to go back. Did manage to pick up some old manuals though.

Lots of Chevy, Ford and Mopar concentrated stuff. It would be kind of cool if the organizers were to organize stuff into clusters. Guys who specialize in Chevy stuff here, Ford stuff here, Mopar stuff here, Stude stuff over there, primarily engine stuff here, bumpers over here, etc. so that it would be easier to find stuff; but maybe they mix it all up intentionally so that folks pretty much have to walk through it all in order to try and find what they're looking for.

One thing that I scored that wasn't old was a 2012 Northwest Car Events Calendar. Holy moly, there are a lot of car events going on around here! I'd never realized it before. There's got to be at least 600 events listed in that calendar. There's been some talk here about the old car hobby dying. I dunno, judging from the crowds at that swap meet and the number of events taking place in this corner of the country alone, I'd say that the old car hobby is still thriving - especially if there are a similar number of events in other parts of the country. Looks like I need to clear my weekend calendar from now on.

Was your dog a little grey one? Gordon and I walked right past it on our way out to take some seats to his car. We were talking about how small it was!

I agree that it was an absolute confusing nightmare! I had no idea where I was going. I walked past the same booths over and over again. Was trying to meet up with a few people, they just said "swing by the booth!" Never found their booth. I wish that they would organize it somewhat better. I was able to score a pair of Caps that match the nice pair that Gord gave me. So I was able to complete that set. Never would have found them with out him saying where he saw them! I also picked up a "Rickards Red" tap handle to use on my shifter. I have always had a tap handle in my older cars.... no sense changing that up!

Any way that you can scan that list and send it my way. I have a decent sized list on my blog already... may want to update it a bit

BTW: Gord, I owe you a beer if I ever make it up there or if you come down to a car show here again. Thanks again for the caps! Hope you were able to snag a cold bev somewhere without too much of a hassle.

PackardV8
05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
and the number of events taking place in this corner of the country alone, I'd say that the old car hobby is still thriving - FWIW, I was up in Sandpoint, ID on Saturday at the 27th Annual "Lost in the '50s" weekend. I overheard one guy say to another, "Since ninety percent of the the crowd is retired guys, it could be held any day of the week." Too true, a clear majority at most meets are us old guys.

FWIW, of more than 700 cars I saw there, only two were Studes;, a restored black '63 GT down from Canada and a tan '48 Champion coupe street rod.

My favorite was a silver '38 GMC with a later hot rod 302" Jimmy six. Really well done old street rod pickup, but alas, with an automatic tranny.

jack vines

hausdok
05-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Was your dog a little grey one? Gordon and I walked right past it on our way out to take some seats to his car. We were talking about how small it was!

I agree that it was an absolute confusing nightmare! I had no idea where I was going. I walked past the same booths over and over again. Was trying to meet up with a few people, they just said "swing by the booth!" Never found their booth. I wish that they would organize it somewhat better. I was able to score a pair of Caps that match the nice pair that Gord gave me. So I was able to complete that set. Never would have found them with out him saying where he saw them! I also picked up a "Rickards Red" tap handle to use on my shifter. I have always had a tap handle in my older cars.... no sense changing that up!

Any way that you can scan that list and send it my way. I have a decent sized list on my blog already... may want to update it a bit

BTW: Gord, I owe you a beer if I ever make it up there or if you come down to a car show here again. Thanks again for the caps! Hope you were able to snag a cold bev somewhere without too much of a hassle.Yeah,

That was him. The guy in the brown polo shirt and jeans somewhere nearby would have been me. Most people think he's a puppy when he's actually 4 years old - 28 in dog years.

Unfortunately, scanning anything isn't possible. My new(er) computer won't talk to my old(er) scanner 'cuz I can't find a driver for it. I've got the same problem with the printer. (I don't get it, why should I scrap a perfectly good printer that cost me $1200 13 years ago just because it's old and they don't make a driver for it. If they're going to continue to make toner cartridges, they should continue to write drivers for it.) One of these days, I'll have to break down and get a new printer but right now I'm in denial about the whole thing. Besides, the danged thing is literally a 78 page book. You don't need to me to scan it; just go to their website at http://www.upfrontimages.com and bookmark it.