What it takes to install behind the dash AC in a 1966 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it takes to install behind the dash AC in a 1966 Daytona

The newest part of an ongoing series. I'm now in the process of running all the tubing for the AC vents after I finally came up with a final placement for the outer vents. I'm also completing some knee bar/package trays that will hold the outer vents and also cover the lower part of the AC unit on the passenger side. Not seen is how I shortened the glove box liner to allow space for the unit and ductwork - the dash is not ready to go into the car until I finish all this work. I am also doing the final work on the wiring (Painless 18 circuit unit). Whew!:
    Attached Files
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

WOW! I like it. That's going to be quite the cabin when you're done!
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I hope I never have to take it apart to replace something! It's almost as bad as a new car.
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Man, that's a lot of hose!

What is the console from? It all looks very sanitary.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The center console is made from two pieces from this place:

truck console, car consoles, truck accessories, classic truck car center consoles, chevelle, nova, camaro, classic rides, pickup

Their stuff is a little pricey, but it's very high quality (you could use the bare gelcoat as is or painit it with very little prep) and it beats starting completely from scratch. I made a cardboard template of the console once I received it and used that to figure out exactly how to cut it down to make it fit and how to mount the gauges, etc. Better to cut too much cardboard than too much fiberglass.
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Also, the sides of the console are made from upholstered luan plywood - you can dip luan in water and it will retain just about any shape you want after it dries.
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I've finally finished configuring the Vintage Air Mini unit in my 66 Daytona. Note the reversed defroster vents. I'll actually have a glove box too, but it will be a tad short. The last 2 shots show the knee pad/package trays I built to hold the outer AC vents (you can see the hoses for them dangling in the pictures with the test dash removed). I need to fix some things on the console - after that the new dash goes in and I can hook up the electrical. Almost on the road:
              Attached Files
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Thanks for posting the information and photos. They are very educational.
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Now that is just something else,really one of a kind.my hat's off to you,if you ever sell it the next owner will be the lucky one !
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                  X