1962 GT Question of Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 GT Question of Value

If a 1962 Hawk, V8, 2 barrel, automatic with "no sign of rust or repair" with decent paint, fair interior but a good runner is worth $10K, what would the same car with 2 front and 1 rear fiberglass fender be worth?? Obviously, ignore the 'no sign of rust or repair' as that is a definite untruth. Just wondering??? Please wade in.

It would vary widely, depending on equipment and condition. If you post some pictures and info, we'll take a stab at it. Based on what you've said thus far, I'll say between $1000 and $35,000. Really. That's why a LOT more info is needed.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

In this economy you won't get $10K for it based on that description. Shoot for $7K and pray you can get close.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I guess the question is, how much would the fiberglass fenders diminish the value of a car that is a driver? I would think that a car with 4 good, original steel fenders is more desirable than 1 that has 3 glass fenders. Obviously the market must be down, as many GTs that seem to be coming up for sale right now. This was an ebay car that was in the same family for 6 years, that several people looked at and no one figured out the fender change?? I always wanted a Hawk but I may have ended up with something closer to a vulture. For those who are interested, I will try to post the link tomorrow...

Comment

Good fiberglass fenders should not change the value a whole lot in my opinion. Some see it as a positive, not a negative.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

This is the Hawk in question with the description and 60 very carefully taken pictures, notice that the very worn driver's seat cushion is not shown. I am appeciative of all input

Comment

I didn't see where the ad stated it had fibreglass fenders............?? I'll admit that I didn't look at every picture full size, are the 'glass fenders that obvious on the car?
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The car needs correct seat covers, is missing rocker panel aluminum molding and stainless wheelwell trim. If the car does have three fiberglass fenders, then the car has had serious rust issues in the past. I would love to see pictures of the inside of the trunk, I'm sure they would be interesting. At the current bid of $9999.99 the car is overpriced and a driver at best! If your looking for a GT I would look around for a better car that may cost more and is all metal!

Comment

If I was buying this car I would definatly discount its value for the glass fenders. I would also get the car on a lift so I could very carefully check the frame and floors. The car is obviously not as it is advertised if these panels were replaced with glass ones. If you are buying the car as a driver it probably doesnt make much difference but it will be a harder sell when that time comes. Personally I would discount it a minimum of $2500-3000 assuming everything else is up to par. I am sure that statement will draw comments from others that will disagree but the end line is the car obviously had issues if 3 of the 4 fenders were damaged badly enough to warrant a reproduction replacement. My opinion, Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Steve makes good points. In the end, it's such an individual thing. If I really liked the car and then learned that 3 fenders were fiberglass, then appearance wise there isn't an issue. It's true the car may have had major rust issues in the past. On the other hand, if you're living in the rust belt the fiberglass fenders will mean that much less to worry about rusting! So, again, I think you'll see strong swings in opinion as to how much it affects the value. I'd rather have a car with nice fiberglass fenders than one with patched up and wavy or bubbly steel ones any day.

Comment

Looks like the pictures may have been taken at Studebakers West. They are in Redwood City. Also, Bob Peterson (candbstudebakers) may know this car.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X