PDA

View Full Version : Dash repair

cultural infidel
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Anyone have any tips on repairing the dash in my 65? It has quite a few cracks from the sun beating on it for 45 years. I've read about epoxy filler, bondo, fiberglass, caulk, and various other fillers.

Once I get the running and stopping taken care of, I want to turn my attention to cleaning up the interior. I would like to sand it smooth, then paint it. So no matter which route is chosen, it will end up one color. I will then cut and paint a piece for the rear valance to match the front.

Is my best bet going to be the bondo or fiberglass to get the smooth surface?*

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

rknight89
05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Never tried fillers for anything like this so I'm not sure how that would work. There is a company called Just Dashes (I think) the specializes in new dash pads for old cars. Don't know it they make one for your car, but I've seen them advertising in car magazines & I'm sure they must have a web site. Your best bet might not be repairing your dash but, instead, covering it. Just a thought.

StudeMichael
05-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I have a nice dash for a 1965 - 1966 model. It is black.

Corvanti
05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
permatex makes a dash filler available at your local "flaps".

i used it a few years ago, but didn't care for it, mainly because it's a pain to mix the colors. if you're going to paint the dash anyway, that point may be moot... :)

cultural infidel
05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
permatex makes a dash filler available at your local "flaps".

i used it a few years ago, but didn't care for it, mainly because it's a pain to mix the colors. if you're going to paint the dash anyway, that point may be moot... :)

ok, I've seen the term thrown about here and a few other sites.... what does "flaps" stand for? Also, do you happen to recall what the product was called?

gordr
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
The dash cover is vinyl, and beneath that is foam. When the vinyl cracks, the edges tend to curl up, so you are obliged to grind the cracks out wider.

Go to an autobody supply house, and you can get flexible filler meant for those flexible urethane bumpers and air dams used on newer cars. I have used it for that purpose, and it works fine. Sandable, too.

I have a badly cracked Avanti dash, and what I plan to do is the following: grind out all the cracks, feather-edging the old vinyl, until a straightedge laid across the crack doesn't rock on raised edges. Fill in deeper gouges with spray-can foam, then sand it down slightly below the underside of the adjacent vinyl. Fill the cracks thus prepared with flex filler, and sand until the dash is smooth. Obviously, the patched areas won't match color or grain pattern.

Next, coat the entire dash with spray contacts adhesive, and stick on a thin sheet of stretchy fabric, like spandex or old pantihose material, rolling it into all the little molded grooves. This is to create a uniform surface, and also to prevent new vinyl cracks from propagating through the new finish.

Finally, spray the entire dash with textured gravel-guard or bedliner, and paint to suit. The result won't look stock, but it might look good.

Corvanti
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
"Friendly Local Auto Parts Store". :D

snowy_buffalo
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a nice dash for a 1965 - 1966 model. It is black.

Which is it that you have? 1964 and 65 were the same but 1966 is different in that the 64/65 had grooves along the front edge of the top of dash and 66 was smooth. Complete dash with frame and gauges or just a replacement pad? Asking price? I'm looking for a 64/65 in good condition for my 64 Daytona Hardtop that suffers from California sunburn.

comatus
05-08-2012, 08:06 AM
stick on a thin sheet of stretchy fabric, like spandex or old pantihose material

Over on the other part of the forum, we'll be commenting later on the best ways to get old pantihose onto your dashboard.
I think I may have already told you one time about how my 50's-hot-rodder uncle found out that leopard-print upholstery was not color-fast. It's Wiffer-worthy.

Great minds in the same gutter aside, this is very useful advice, and thanks for it.

BRUCESTUDE
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I found a good used dash for my '64 Daytona, and sprayed with vinyl dye to match the interior. After a few years it is beginning to crack too, BUT it looks way better than the one it replaced. If you wanted to spend a lot try "Just Dashes", or like us CASO's, have a piece of automotive carpet cut, with the edges bound, and install over existing dash (velcro?). The latter is not stock, but it would protect what you have left and clean it up.

showbizkid
05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
I believe SI supplies a fiberglas "cap" that can be glued over your old dash and painted to match. It's not soft, but does look good - Matthew did his '63 dash with one a couple of years back and it looked very nice.

cultural infidel
05-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not looking for anything fancy... or performing a world class restoration. Im more after something that looks decent and something that I can stripe. If I had any metal working abilities whatsoever, I would fashion one that way.

Doesnt look like SI carries a "cap" for the 65's unless I am looking in the wrong spot.

Warren Webb
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Have you thought of having a professional repair it? It may not be as cheap as if you did it yourself but it will look like you didn't do it yourself. I have seen vinyl repairs done & the end result is it looks like it is supposed to. For an example. When I was working at a port processor in Long Beach my assembly shop while installing rear speakers in the headliner of Isuzu Troopers, would cut the hole too big. I had a vinyl repair guy on call who would repair the split & afterwards nobody would know it had been touched. Dashes, seats, door panels, vinyl, leather, didnt matter, it has been done right. Contact a couple of local body shops in your area & see who they use & ask how happy they have been with the results. It will be more than a D.I.Y. but alot cheaper than having "Just Dashes" rebuild it. Your choice.

Orestudeguy
05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Whatever happened to the leftover Green ones that SASCO used to sell? I bought one for my 65 Commander (now my son's) and we just dyed it.
Were they all gone when S.I. got all the inventory?

snowy_buffalo
05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Whatever happened to the leftover Green ones that SASCO used to sell? I bought one for my 65 Commander (now my son's) and we just dyed it.

George, Last time I checked with SI in Feb this year they said they had a couple of the green ones from SASCO left and wanted $350 ea for them. They were for the 64 and 65 models and just the pad that had to be glued onto your exisiting frame after stripping the old one. Not a cap like they repopped for the 63's.

Bob Andrews
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I believe SI supplies a fiberglas "cap" that can be glued over your old dash and painted to match. It's not soft, but does look good - Matthew did his '63 dash with one a couple of years back and it looked very nice.

I'm pretty sure those were discontinued.

The OP's picture looks like the classic sun-cooked dash. Any one I've had like that was very brittle. I have never seen anything like that repaied to anything approaching presentable- or at all durable.

If you (or anyone) repairs a dash that bad and makes it look decent, please do update with pictures and procedure. It would be great to know.

Dick Steinkamp
05-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Sean,
Brian Curtis had 2 very nice 1966 dashes at the latest Mt. Vernon swap meet for a near give away price and they didn't sell. Here's his profile...

Chocolate Turkey (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/member.php?823-chocolate-turkey)

He lives here in Bellingham.

StudeMichael
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I checked today. Mine is a 1966 dash.

cultural infidel
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Do the 66s interchange? Anyone have a picture they can post? Someone mentioned that they were smooth... smooth enough to stripe?

rockne10
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Do the 66s interchange?
I put a '66 dash in my '63 Cruiser; bolt in.
I would bet, with a proper filler, grind out fissures, sand (or rasp) smooth, use new flexible vinyl, heat gun and a good 3M trim adhesive and produce a better than new looking repaired dash.

BRUCESTUDE
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Do the 66s interchange? Anyone have a picture they can post? Someone mentioned that they were smooth... smooth enough to stripe?
'64 thru '66 are the same, minus some styling details.

Bordeaux Daytona
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM

SASCO even had a couple of red right hand drive dash pads right before they closed.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15190&d=1336536441

skyway
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Those pelts look kinda funny without and bones.

Johnnywiffer
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
...It's Wiffer-worthy...

Is that a noun or an adjective? :rolleyes:

John

cultural infidel
05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Sean,
Brian Curtis had 2 very nice 1966 dashes at the latest Mt. Vernon swap meet for a near give away price and they didn't sell. Here's his profile...

Chocolate Turkey (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/member.php?823-chocolate-turkey)

He lives here in Bellingham.

Since he is somewhat local, I sent him a PM.

StudeMichael, where are you located? and how much would you want for your dash?

If I end up getting a new one, I may make a mold out of the old one for fiberglassing purposes.... then give it a whirl. Who knows may be it will be worth it.

r1lark
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
SASCO even had a couple of red right hand drive dash pads right before they closed.

Now THAT is cool! It's amazing what is still left NOS for our cars.

StudeMichael
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
$250.00 plus shipping.