Just Thinking Out Loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Just Thinking Out Loud

Seems to me that one of the worst areas for rust on a Stude is at the "A" pillar/floor area. The other day while under the car I thought that replacing the body mount "doughnut" where it mounts on the frame outrigger with a bracket that would replace the "doughnut" & extend to underneath the "A" pillar post. This I believe would not only strengthen that area making door alignment better but improve door operation & reduce cowl shake on convertibles. Think about it. Between those 2 areas is only the thickness of the floor sheetmetal. The brackets would be the same (from what I can see) with all sedan & C/K bodies so just a left & right would be needed for all applications. What do you think?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

You may be on to something. I replaced both front body braces on a 64 Hawk and used the ones from Classic Enterprises. The replacements were made from something like 12 gauge steel, which is a LOT heftier than the factory brace. The car rides very solid..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Warren, with yours being California cars, I am suprised you have t even think about rust related issues. But it does sound like a good idea.

Comment

Wow! This is the kinda thoughts I like!
        ...& I would have LOVED to have read that before I... but yeah, done is done... I used real hard & thick galvanized steal so it's not the kinda stuff I wanna do all over again.
        However, I looked at it & thought I might ad a bended plate from the front of the new bracket out to the side-wall, if anyone understand what I mean & if it makes sense...?

Comment

Working...
        X