65 Commander Rear-end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 65 Commander Rear-end

What rear axle does the 65 Commander have? I thought that I read somewhere that it was a D44. How much gear oil does it need? Where can I get a new gasket while I am at it? If it is a D44, these gaskets should be fairly common I would think.

Was thinking it may be a good idea to replace it as I haven't the foggiest clue when it was done last. Especially if the oil was any indication.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

bump for a dumb question
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

The rear end will be identified by a number (44 or 27) on the webbing between the axle tube and the "pumpkin" on the rear side. Both take about 3 US pints of hypoid gear lube. Gaskets are common and available at just about any FLAPS.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        The rear end will be identified by a number (44 or 27) on the webbing between the axle tube and the "pumpkin" on the rear side. Both take about 3 US pints of hypoid gear lube. Gaskets are common and available at just about any FLAPS.
        Or simply use what the OEM's now use for oil pans and the like, gasket in a tube (Permatex?). If the OP would prefer a gasket; that should be no biggie to find since the 2012 Nissan Titan pickup (among many other cars/lights trucks from ca. 1952) uses a Dana 44 rear end.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          Or simply use what the OEM's now use for oil pans and the like, gasket in a tube (Permatex?). If the OP would prefer a gasket; that should be no biggie to find since the 2012 Nissan Titan pickup (among many other cars/lights trucks from ca. 1952) uses a Dana 44 rear end.
          My Cruiser has TT Dana 44. Check if yours is and use the GM posi gear oil if it is.

Comment

Working...
          X