Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti

Is this Avanti too good to be true? Wonder what the reserve is...

It appears to be the Studebaker Avanti We'd all like to own. Basically original car with some nice options, and probably very well cared for all it's life. If You 'land it', I'd advise You to install a split
    master cylinder on it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
      Is this Avanti too good to be true? Wonder what the reserve is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...bdf510cd#v4-42

My old Survivor Avanti was similar, but with near perfect factory paint. BTW, I don't buy the factory engine chrome comment, the flash plating won't make it that long IMHO. The Survivor was low mileage, last saw rain in the 70's and still had minor surface rust on the rocker covers. The car may well be a survivor, but it's been detailed at some point. Here's my old car after detailing. (New chrome under hood and detailed)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Did Avantis ever look THAT good when new?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          Did Avantis ever look THAT good when new?

I love the car, but geez I don't like the Deluxe interior. Wish it had the pleated Regal trim.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

This is a beautiful car, but it has as JDP mentioned been messaged over the years. The spare tire is not original, it is from the 1966 Firestone 500 and later tire run.
            ( Faint gold stripe and different scallop ) Nit picking, I Know.

Bob Caser
            mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
              This is a beautiful car, but it has as JDP mentioned been messaged over the years. The spare tire is not original, it is from the 1966 Firestone 500 and later tire run.
              ( Faint gold stripe and different scallop ) Nit picking, I Know.

Bob Caser
              Bob, good information. Being factual isn't 'nitpicking', particularly when the seller is confident enough to advertise the spare as original, when it apparently is not. I never get people who whine about 'nitpicking'--far too many cars have been sold with something not as plainly advertised; then the seller says, 'Oh, I wasn't aware of that'.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

The seller makes some kind of deal about the perforated vinyl inserts in the interior being "ultra-rare"...maybe so, but that's because no one wanted them then and the same pretty much goes today. An Avanti in equal condition with the pleated interior is worth more. Rarity doesn't necessarily translate into desirability...look at the small numbers of 3-speed manual equipped Avantis...yes...they're rare but they detract from the car's value.

It's certainly a nice...very nice car anyone should be proud to own. The seller appears to be trying to gild the lily...he doesn't need to make more of the car than it is. It can stand on its own...maybe he's trying to sell to non-knowledgeable individuals looking for a car like an Avanti. People familiar with them know the differences.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It is a beautiful car and should do quite well.

My favorite Avanti color...but I like the Elk/Fawn interior better with this color.

The seller states... "99% original as the day it was born"

I guess the 1% would be the repaint, the rebuilt engine, the drip rails, modern sealed cooling system, spare, master cylinder and booster, stainless calipers,
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

He owns three Avantis with R3 engines! I wonder if any of the three are among the nine original R3s.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      He owns three Avantis with R3 engines! I wonder if any of the three are among the nine original R3s.
                      Yes he owns one of the nine. He is also a SDC member and forum lurker. I spoke with him last night by phone on a unrelated matter. So let's just "rip" his car apart and nit pick some more. Who really care if the spare tire is not from '63 but oh it's actually from '66. IMHO it's neat he has a Firestone tire with the flags on it in the trunk! The car is what it is and the market will decide whether it likes it or not with the reserve he has set.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The car is beautiful, and I forwarded the ad to some folks I know who are looking for a turnkey Avanti or close. They wouldn't know the things pointed out in this thread, and they should if they think they are willing to pay for something that is as-advertised. There's nothing wrong with that IMHO.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

That is a beautiful Avanti.

But, it is important that the car be represented accurately in the ad and it is not. Not close to 99% original. There may be some serious buyers watching that car and reading this forum looking for information about the car. I wouldn't call the above comments nit-picking if done respectfully. Someone may end up paying a large sum for this car thinking it has an original spare that is "super rare and worth a small fortune", when it's probably not worth much.

I think gently highlighting inaccuracies is another great benefit of this wonderful forum. Again, I really like that Avanti.

Comment

I'll guess it's Tom Kasale's car. Has anyone found out the serial number yet?
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Sharp car. I wonder why the left wiper is laying on the cowl?
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X