When hoods become kites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When hoods become kites.

So I had my car apart for two weeks the build a fan shroud and put it back together yesterday and while out and about at 10:00pm the hood decides to go airborne. I am going down the road and I hear, BAM! The hood flies up and completely curls backwards and caves in the roof. The good news is that I kept the car under control, I have a spare hood, and the roof is repairable. Will post pics soon.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Sorry to hear that man. But, good thing was that you kept the car under control, and no one got hurt. Cars can be fixed.

I've enjoyed following your project, keep it coming!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

And NO YouTube video??

Comment

To: Nelsen Motorsports,------ Same thing happened to Me in a '56 Golden Hawk years ago. Sickening feeling to see the hood slowly rise, catch more air, then 'WHAM!!' I've always safety chained the big Hawk
        hoods after that experience.

Comment

Make sure you put a pin in your hood latch so this never happens again.

Comment

Plan to reverse open the hoods on both of our C/K cars.
            Good Luck with your repair.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I had that happen to my 67 Chevelle SS396 waaaaaayyyyy back in the Spring of 1970 when I was student teaching. I still remember the incident, Wham, then suddenly you have to look under the hood to see where you are going. Visibility was the tricky thing as I was about halfway through a long lazy S curve on rte 51 near Clinton IL at the time. Chevelle hoods were wider, but not as long as a Hawk hood. There was very little damage to the hood as the SS hoods had the air intake inserts in the hood, making it stronger. I believe I needed to get two new hinges though. I bet the snout of a Hawk hood could do some real damage to the roof of the car. The way to prevent the hood from popping up on a Stude? Go Avanti! I had a 64 that the left rear latch would pop up on, but one didn't have to worry that the hood was coming up.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

That stinks Nelson. Did it shatter your windshield?
                We had it happen at about 125mph in a built '56 Chevy on the 91 frwy back in the 80s. Ripped the hood completely off and flung it about 100ft up in the air....scary, but kinda cool to a couple punks. Busted the windshield on the way up though...that stunk back then.

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                  Plan to reverse open the hoods on both of our C/K cars.
                  Good Luck with your repair.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  I will put reverse hinges on it now.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

Pictures as promised:
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

Ouch--that must've been sickening. Glad you have a spare and came out unscathed!

Be sure to document your reverse hinges so I can learn how to do it on my car.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Opinion....

I have a reverse opening hood gizmo thing on 'The Black Car'...
                        (So I can speak from both sides).
                        I also know of a half dozen people that have a drilled stock hood pin.
                        A drilled stock hood pin is an hour's labor addition and a $2 pin.
                        Reverse opening stuff is cool, and neat, and..... a lot of work.
                        Removing your hood pin, drilling a hole in it, adding a little pit pin...
                        Way easier, quicker, cheaper, and less hassle.
                        But, if you are into re-engineering the whole shebang.... Go for it!
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Like Jeff says ......Easy project
                          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                          Lewisville,NC

Comment

Wow...that sucks. Consider yourself lucky, good thing no one was hurt, and you have a spare hood as well. I had my hood latch let go on the highway 3 times in one day, but thankfully the safety latch held...still got the pucker muscle going though! Had my austin mini hood come up on me too, doing crazy speed on a gravel road...sliding windows in that car, couldn`t stick my head out to see where I was going, but got the car safely stopped. Here is a solution that works for me on my coupe that I posted a while back

although blackhawk 61`s solution should work for you because your car has no grill inserts. Regards, Junior.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

YIPES!

Glad you are safe, Alex.

Everything else will work out just fine.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X