Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Quiz: 1955 Speedsters & The Preakness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: 1955 Speedsters & The Preakness?

Churchill Downs' famous Run for the Roses is over, so it's on to the next leg of Horse Racing's Triple Crown: The Preakness.

Time for another Studebaker Pop Quiz, too!

To wit: Studebaker built 2,215 1955 President Speedsters.

Of the 2,215, almost exactly half of them (1,106, to be exact) have something in common with the famous Preakness horse race....but only those 1,106. The other 1,109 1955 Speedsters do not have this in common with The Preakness.

What is it?

The first person to post the correct answer wins their choice of:

1. Two NOS, uncirculated Studebaker Corporation Letterhead Red Ball envelopes

OR

2. One copy of the 1962 Lark Daytona Pace Car mailer I just had reprinted.

(Yes, this is genuine, hard-core useless trivia!)

As usual, previous Pop Quiz winners are asked to refrain. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I am guessing that 1,106 1955 Speedsters had the "Pimlico Gray Metallic" dash color, and the Preakness is run at the "Pimlico Race Course".

Did I win????
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

The same tri-colors.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by R_David View Post
        I am guessing that 1,106 1955 Speedsters had the "Pimlico Gray Metallic" dash color, and the Preakness is run at the "Pimlico Race Course". Did I win????
        BINGO! Ross; you sure did! (Man, you guys are quick; I thought this would last at least a few hours!)

Anyway, Ross; you're correct on the point we're looking for: The Preakness is run at Pimlico Race Course and 1,106 1955 Studebaker Speedsters had some combination of colors that included Pimlico Gray (or Grey; nobody seems very consistent with either spelling.)

Do you prefer the NOS Red Ball envelopes or Pace Car Mailer?

Please send me a PM here on the forum with your full home mailing address; I don't see one in the current SDC Roster.

Congrats. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 05-06-2012, 02:48 AM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hate to rain on the parade, but 1442 President Speedsters used the 'Pimlico Grey' dashboard (and possibly up to 10 more, which are listed as unknown). 1105 had 'Pimlico Grey' paint on the exterior (ditto possibly up to 10 more, that are
          listed as exp. or unknown) This is 1998 info, so Your results may vary!

Comment

I was going to guess that half of the horses were lemon and lime colored.

Comment

No Matt, Seven Hundred and Sixty Three of the 'horses' were "lemon and lime" colored!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Hate to rain on the parade, but 1442 President Speedsters used the 'Pimlico Grey' dashboard (and possibly up to 10 more, which are listed as unknown). 1105 had 'Pimlico Grey' paint on the exterior (ditto possibly up to 10 more, that are listed as exp. or unknown) This is 1998 info, so Your results may vary!
                Ed: I thought Ross' answer involving Pimlico Gray was close enough. It would have been picky to deny him winning the Pop Quiz because he referenced dash rather than exterior color. (Note that Ross has only 27 posts as a Forum participant. It would discourage his further participation to nit-pick his answer and deny him the win when, in fact, he did make the Pimlico connection.)

Dick Quinn's September 1998 Turning Wheels Almanac lists these figures for combinations including Pimlico Gray:

PG & Congo Ivory: 424
                PG & Coraltone: 219
                PG & Shasta White: 307
                PG/SW/Coraltone: 156

I think that adds up to 1,106 confirmed Speedsters having some combination that included Pimlico Gray, rather than 1,105.

Of course, as you say, there are the unknowns / experimentals, but they must be disregarded if we are citing a specific, confirmed total number; i.e., 1,106. BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 05-06-2012, 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  I was going to guess that half of the horses were lemon and lime colored.
                  That would be Mint Julep and Southern Comfort Lemonade, Matthew? (That's right; you're over 21, now, so you can discuss these possibilities!) <GGG> BP

Comment

I tell you what, this Quiz (as was probably intended, thanks Bob) caused me to spend an hour or so on the web looking up everything I could find on the 1955 speedster. And I am really glad I did, what an impressive car! I am hoping to get a chance to see one up close at the Northeast Zone meet in June. Of course now I have to add that one to my growing list of wants:
                    1940s Champion
                    1950 Starlight Coupe
                    1957 President
                    Late 50s Transtar
                    1960s Daytona

I'm going to need to find an old barn to turn into a garage!!!
                    sigpic
                    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

To: Bob Palma,----- Hi Bob! I'm sorry if You think I'm nit-picking, but I guess with a special vehicle built '57 years ago....it probably is a good idea to 'nail it down'. Of course the information I had is from 1998. And I
                      hate to tell You but Your calculations are one off. The Pimlico Grey/Coraltone combo was used on 218 Speedsters making the total number of these vehicles with Pimlico Grey used as an exterior color 1105. (with
                      another possible 10 exp.-unk. that may have used it)
                      This back and forth banter seems to have caused R David to want to add a President Speedster to His 'want list', and I think We can both agree that isn't a bad thing! Take care

Comment

To: Bob Palma,----- Hi Bob! I'm sorry if You think I'm nit-picking, but I guess with a special vehicle built '57 years ago....it probably is a good idea to 'nail it down'. Of course the information I had is from 1998. And I
                        hate to tell You but Your calculations are one off. The Pimlico Grey/Coraltone combo was used on 218 Speedsters making the total number of these vehicles with Pimlico Grey used as an exterior color 1105. (with
                        another possible 10 exp.-unk. that may have used it)
                        This back and forth banter seems to have caused R David to want to add a President Speedster to His 'want list', and I think We can both agree that isn't a bad thing! Take care
                        Well, OK, Ed, but where did the 218 figure originate? It wasn't in Dick's original article, nor in his updated information three months later???

'Here's hoping Ross acquires a tri-tone Speedster to go with his Flamingo 1961 Hawk. What a pair; he could illuminate his garage without electricity! <GGG> BP

Comment

To: Bob Palma,----- That figure came from the October 1998 'Collectible Automobile' article by Richard Quinn: The Pimlico Grey/Coraltone paint combo was used on 218 factory President Speedsters....
                          136 (South Bend production) and 82 (Los Angeles production) This article was really so well done that I'm not going to question it, but if You have more up to date information please let Us know.
                          Once again, I apoligize if it appeared that I was 'nit picking'

Comment

To: Bob Palma,----- That figure came from the October 1998 'Collectible Automobile' article by Richard Quinn: The Pimlico Grey/Coraltone paint combo was used on 218 factory President Speedsters....
                            136 (South Bend production) and 82 (Los Angeles production) This article was really so well done that I'm not going to question it, but if You have more up to date information please let Us know.
                            Once again, I apoligize if it appeared that I was 'nit picking'
                            Having written for Collectible Automobile, I would trust Richard's 219 figure published in the September 1998 Turning Wheels before I'd trust a figure published in the October 1998 Collectible Automobile. CA is published so far ahead of their cover date that the deadline for the October 1998 CA would have been several months before the deadline for the September 1998 Turning Wheels.

Too, if the 219 figure was incorrect, I would think Richard would have corrected it to 218 in the December 1998 Turning Wheels Recaps of his September 1998 article.

However, again from experience, I know Richard didn't have a chance to proofread the final CA article before it went to press. In contrast, Art and Ann send us our Turning Wheels material "as will be published" for a final proofing after being paged up in final form, but before being sent to the printer.

Fortunately, no text errors made it to print in my February 2009 Collectible Automobile article High-Performance Studebakers of the 50s and 60s, but there are several photo caption errors in that article. That's because I wasn't allowed to choose or specify the photos, OR write or proofread the photo captions!

Nonetheless, I'll e-mail Richard, now, and ask him about the discrepancy. BP

Comment

To Bob Palma,---- That would be good if You can do that Bob. There are more than a few people that would like to have accurate information on '55 President Speedster production. Questions like this one help,
                              little by little, to fill in the gaps. I am trying to produce an updated roster on that particular model Studebaker, so I guess I may appear to 'nit-pick' sometimes in hopes of getting it right. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X