Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289!?!?

Hello all, wonder if anyone can help me out,
    how do you know if you have a 289 or the smaller V8??

1960 Hawk

thanks in advance

Look at the front of the block , to the right of the oil filler tube.
    There is a machined flat area with a STAMPED number.
    289's start with a P , and 259's with a V .
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

On the drivers side front of the engine on top there is a machined flat spot. That is where your engine serial no is. If the number starts with a V it is a 259 and if it starts with a P then it is a 289 if JT then "R" series. This is on 60's and newer engines maybe older but definetly not the flat heads or 6 cyl.

Mark

Comment

Here's what a stamped number looks like.

This stamping begins with a V, so this engine is a 259:

If yours begins with a P, as has been stated, and falls within the range of

P70501 through P74701

OR

PC2201 through PC2501

it is probably your 1960 Hawk's original 289 engine.

The "C" in both the sample picture and the numbers above denotes an engine built in South Bend for Hamilton ON Canada production. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

thanks guys I will check it out,
          new Stude owner will need lots of help!

Comment

thanks for the pic

Comment

And, as most of Us know, the 1955 President 259 V8's engine number also started with the letter 'P'

Comment

I did not know that, Thanks SN-60

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  And, as most of Us know, the 1955 President 259 V8's engine number also started with the letter 'P'
                  That's because they are yet to receive the June 2012 Turning Wheels Co-Operator, Ed. <GGG> BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Skip Lackie

Comment

Ok Stude ladies and gents, I did a quick look and this is what I found,
                      no letter in front of these sets of numbers, please advise...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those are not serial numbers but either part numbers or casting numbers.....your looking in the wrong spot. Look for a number that is stamped in not raised.
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by adolphpeavy View Post
                          go to this page and scroll to the bottom to look at the picture referencing where to look for your engine number, you are not looking in the right spot.

it is on the front right block when looking at the engine standing in front of your car. You will likely have to wipe off some grease/oil before even seeing it.
                          also look at post #4 of this thread showing a stamped number.

Comment

ok will report back

Comment

yeah, most definitely a Stude V8 Looks just like my water pump cheers jimmijim
                              Originally posted by adolphpeavy View Post
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X