Just thought you'd like to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just thought you'd like to know...

Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold company, announced its 1st quarter net earnings yesterday. They were $1.03 billion! That's over $11 million a day. So what does that have to do with Studebaker?

The Chairman and Founder of Barrick Gold is Peter Munk of Toronto, Ontario. Back in 1965, Mr. Munk was the key player in the Canadian consortium that almost saved Studebaker. In those days, Peter Munk ran an electonics company, producing some of the finest high fidelity stereo package products available. He also was involved with Canadian Motor Industries, the original distributor of Toyota in Canada. You can read all about it in my book, "My Father The Car", pages 27, 28, 29, 30, 73, 77 and 78.

Can you just imagine with that all that expertise what Peter Munk could have done with Studebaker had the deal gone through? Oh well, that was then. This is now. We've all gone on with our lives. But then just maybe the world would have preferred gold to a Studebaker. Food for thought.

Stu Chapman

Hi Stu. Good to see you at Badenoch. I remember the stereo system, but can't recall the name. Clairtone?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Its good to see the family business doing well !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

"clarion"

I usta have a Clarion cheers jimmijim
        Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
        Hi Stu. Good to see you at Badenoch. I remember the stereo system, but can't recall the name. Clairtone?
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          It was Clairtone. They started in Ontario but ended up producing the product in Nova Scotia with provincial government fionancial support, but got too big, too fast, and also were dabbling with Canadian Motor Industries and the whole thing finally ended. Peter Munk invested in a tourism project with his then partners in the South Pacific but finally ended up in gold.
          Stu Chapman

Comment

You inspried me with this thread Stu. I got to wondering what a gold-plated Golden Hawk might look like. A sort of harkening back to the gold-plated chassis Stude toured around the country in the teens of the 20th century.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              You inspried me with this thread Stu. I got to wondering what a gold-plated Golden Hawk might look like. A sort of harkening back to the gold-plated chassis Stude toured around the country in the teens of the 20th century.
              Wouldn't that be a show piece! Maybe one day I should try and contact Mr. Munk to see if he would like to support the Studebaker National Museum Endowment program. We need $3 million and that's just a little over 3 hours net earnings.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                It was Clairtone. They started in Ontario but ended up producing the product in Nova Scotia with provincial government fionancial support, but got too big, too fast, and also were dabbling with Canadian Motor Industries and the whole thing finally ended. Peter Munk invested in a tourism project with his then partners in the South Pacific but finally ended up in gold.
                Stu Chapman
                I posted more here, including a scan of the chapter on Studebaker from Peter Munk's autobiography by Richard Rohmer.

Craig

Comment

Good stuff, Craig. Canada did have a martime car operation for a while, Bricklin. Sort of a humble deLorean
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                  X