Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #103 (Plant 8 parts warehouse South Bend)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #103 (Plant 8 parts warehouse South Bend)

Believe this was taken in last quarter 1951.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Nice panoramic view of the Parts Building. Thanks for sharing the image Dick.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

It looks like an early SDC Meeting !
      Or maybe these were just the every
      day cars of the members of the Antique
      Studebaker Club Members . Nice Pic .

CRUISER
      Last edited by cruiser; 05-02-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the photo. It brought back a lot of memories! My grade school friends and I got into a lot of trouble in the summer/fall of 1955 when we went under the fence at plant 8 to check out the new 1956 Studebakers inventoried there. Plant security caught us and our parents had to pick us up down on the 700 block of South Lafayette St. at the Studebaker security office. We thought the new Studies were neat as they had TV's on the dash.
        sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

To: White Hawk,--- That's a great story!....And the 'TV' on the dash gave Me a laugh!

Comment

We thought the new Studies were neat as they had TV's on the dash.
            You were about 30-40 years ahead of the curve on that idea!!
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Great photo. Plant 8 is one of the things that I don't think there are many photos of. For the past 6 months I have been trying to piece together an article strictly about plant 8 and finding information and photos about it has been difficult.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

I got a bunch of parts back in the 80's from Newman-Altman that came on a pallet marked "Property of Studebaker-Plant 8". I kept the one board that had the marking & nailed it to the backside of my garage door. When everything here is set up the way I want I know exactly where I'm putting that board & have it proudly displayed.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dick, nice picture.. What is the direction of the picture and / or what direction is that part of Plant 8 facing? I spend a great deal of time in Plant 8 as part of a painting crew during the early 1980's as they were wrapping up Jeep Scrambler (for export) production and at the begining of another run of the white DJ5 mail Jeeps. We changed the color scheme from the standard machine gray dado and white walls above / ceiling, to a more pastel based color scheme.

Comment

When I was coming from San Francisco to Boston in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire in '71, the alternator quit on me in Southern Illinois. I ran on battery for a while, but it was getting dark so I pulled in to Pocahontas, IL and got a motel room. Right next door was a garage. Man told me to bring it over in the morning and he would charge the battery. So, I did and he did. BTW, he had a wrecker made of a Studebaker Transtar tractor. He told me he bought it for something $200 from the driver because it quite running just outside town (turned out to be a clogged fuel line). He still had the fifth wheel under the wrecker bed, had mounted twin saddle tanks on the truck. Anyhow, I made it on to South Bend the next day running on battery- pulled in to Plant 8 and bought a new alternator then took it to Freeman-Spicer and had it installed for something like $5.75 labor.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
                      Dick, nice picture.. What is the direction of the picture and / or what direction is that part of Plant 8 facing? I spend a great deal of time in Plant 8 as part of a painting crew during the early 1980's as they were wrapping up Jeep Scrambler (for export) production and at the begining of another run of the white DJ5 mail Jeeps. We changed the color scheme from the standard machine gray dado and white walls above / ceiling, to a more pastel based color scheme.
                      Warren; If I am not mistaken that would be looking to the south and east.
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                        I got a bunch of parts back in the 80's from Newman-Altman that came on a pallet marked "Property of Studebaker-Plant 8". I kept the one board that had the marking & nailed it to the backside of my garage door. When everything here is set up the way I want I know exactly where I'm putting that board & have it proudly displayed.
                        At the Chippewa plant (Studebaker Intl.) we still have a couple hundred of those crates still in service on the pallet racks. I have a roll cart/work bench that I kind of claimed as my rolling office/work station/catch all at the plant that I and I put one of those boards on it from a crate that broke down. Looks kinda cool.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          Warren; If I am not mistaken that would be looking to the south and east.
                          Dick, thank you.. Yes, I beleive you are correct. I beleive that the Sibley Foundry is in the foreground (just beyond Plant 8), and the water tower (now gone) by Monroe Elementary School..and not the one that was (is?) on the Studebaker / AMG property.

Dennis
                          Last edited by Dennis L. Henry; 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM. Reason: Said Madison, should be Monroe

Comment

I don't think that's Sibleys. If what I am thinking is correct, Sibleys was on Sample street not far from plant 1 and 2. Centennial Steel was directly behind plant 8 and the Aviation plant. Today CS is a burned out abandoned building.
                            (If am wrong on this please correct me as I don't know all the history about the CS building, it could have been part of Sibleys at one time, however I know there is a large Sibley building on Sample St.)
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris:

As I've said before, I admire your dedication to accurately seeking correct information about your home town and its most famous industry.

Well done. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X