The purpose of the Gim-Crack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The purpose of the Gim-Crack...

I’ve seen only 1 ’54 Studebaker in the flesh, with the little 2”-3” ‘visor’ above the windshield. That was in Phoenix.

I asked the owner if it came on the car. I THINK he said, No, he’d seen it at a swap meet and bought it for $20.

When Motor Trend tested the ’55 Studebaker model in the Dec ’54 issue, they said:

I know some more expensive ’54-’55 GM models had this accoutrement

and this question may have been answered before. But…

Was this gim-crack standard on the later ’54 model Studebakers or optional? Since it sure didn’t shade much, what was its purpose?

TIA!

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM.

So even today, nobody knows? Hey, we've had almost 60 years to figure out a use for it! C'mon guys!!

John

Comment

You gotta love the front only curb feelers on the 54. Were they also a Studebaker option?
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Did any of the shiny stuff have a purpose other than to get someone to fall in love with the car and buy it ?
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          Did any of the shiny stuff have a purpose other than to get someone to fall in love with the car and buy it ?
          The purpose was to provide a source of income for future stainless soothers. If "Custom" editions were practically devoid of brightwork (and still seemed to function OK) there can't be much practical value to the stuff.

John, I had two flat WS '55 sedans that had these visors. Neither one of them suffered rattles or whistling on account of them. Their primary function was probably to forestall the sun-rotting of the upper WS rubber.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I will take a guess based on my experience with another kind of vehicle altogether.Years ago I had a B model Mack I plowed snow with.An older fellow that was retired from driving gave me a visor for the truck,saying you will love this for plowing.It was only about five inches deep.The B model Mack has a windshield hardly bigger than a Volkswagen,it actually used the same wiper blades as the VW,so you didn't want to block any off.I put the visor on and got a surprise the next time I plowed during a storm.The driving snow would swoop up about a foot in front of the windshield,very little actually hit after that.Instead of the air sliding up and over the cab,the visor trapped it and created a cushion being pushed in front of the windshield.I plowed at 25-28 MPH,and the only time I had anything hit the windshield after the visor was put on was sitting or under 10 MPH.I don't know if the effect would be the same for a car or not.My 54 Landcruiser has none of the chrome geegaws that green one has.

Comment

This '54 belongs to one of our members. Visor appears longer, and painted; aftermarket? or factory accessory? I don't think these necessarily detract from the sedans. I would not put one on a C/K.

Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad, tell the owner of that thing that I'm JEALOUS. And I LIKE what that visor does for it.

Keith, your theory sounds plausible. BTW - I like your Stude too!
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know the owner of that car.I can't say if that visor is aftermarket or a Studebaker option, but I DO know he spent several years looking for it.
                  It does look nice on that see-dan!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    This '54 belongs to one of our members. Visor appears longer, and painted; aftermarket? or factory accessory? I don't think these necessarily detract from the sedans. I would not put one on a C/K...
                    C'mon--if Loewy can do it, YOU can do it! (Page from the '54 Accessories brochure)

Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 05-10-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

You know what is really odd- I have seen that car in person, and yet NONE of the photographs I've taken show that visor!!! I digg that car either way, by the way...

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      This '54 belongs to one of our members...
                      I digg that one even more!!! It's the same year and model and colors of my 'Ruby'!!!

More inspiration to get her back on the road, every picture is...

bring 'em on!!!!!
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

"You know what is really odd- I have seen that car in person, and yet NONE of the photographs I've taken show that visor!!!..."

Maybe you were looking at it from this angle...

Comment

I WANT THAT CAR AND YES I"M SCREAMING !

Dean.

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                          C'mon--if Loewy can do it, YOU can do it! (Page from the '54 Accessories brochure)

Comment

Working...
                          X