IFS or front clip for 1953 C-cab pick up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFS or front clip for 1953 C-cab pick up

Wanted any input from those who have either reworked the C-cab front suspension with a quality IFS or a clip from any other vehicle that is a simple install. Any and all experiences will be helpful in the decision making process.

I haven't done one myself, but a Volare front clip, the kind that used the transverse torsion bars, can be fit right under the existing frame rails and welded on. Used to be a popular conversion. The Volare K-member is fairly flat on top, and sized such that the truck's frame rails pretty well match up to the flat areas. Ford Aerostar front clip might be another one to look into.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Google amc pacer ifs conversions.
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Here is some pictures of a Volare. Dusty
        Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
          Wanted any input from those who have either reworked the C-cab front suspension with a quality IFS or a clip from any other vehicle that is a simple install. Any and all experiences will be helpful in the decision making process.
          Mike

Why stop at a front clip. I was at a car show yesterday with with a fellow that dropped a 52 on an S-10 frame and you'll not see a nicer conversion. However, he said that right after he started the conversion, a friend of his told him that a late model Dodge Dakota frame was made for the swap and gives you a nice suspension and R&P steering. He looked into the swap and said he wished he had gone with the Dodge. That way you have completely come into the 2000's. Just a thought.

Bob

Comment

Ford Aerostar Van suspension BOLTS in very easily.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

No on the ford aerostar for me anyway. I had one and I had to replace the rack twice and the suspension ball joints sucked too. I would NEVER put the crud under one of my Studes.

Something like this would be my choice and worth the extra money

Or this one since the control arms are tubular and it is cheaper, may be a bit more work to weld in but not hard at all.

Comment

Jon Stalnaker aka sdude just had a Fatman clip done on his '49.

He is very happy with it. It was done in conjunction with installing a GM 5.3 motor and trans.

Let me add that Fatman has kits that are pre-engineered for many specific Studebaker models with holes all lined up for the sheetmetal, core support and other attchments.
                Last edited by Pat Dilling; 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Jon Stalnaker aka sdude just had a Fatman clip done on his '49.

He is very happy with it. It was done in conjunction with installing a GM 5.3 motor and trans.

Let me add that Fatman has kits that are pre-engineered for many specific Studebaker models with holes all lined up for the sheetmetal, core support and other attchments.
                  Thanks, Pat. Saved me the trouble. I've been driving it about 5 months now and I love it. I might also point out that we hooked it up to the original steering column. Worked fine but had to lose the steering wheel horn button. Small consolation.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon,
                    You didn't have to loose the horn button, just the ability to use it as a horn because the wire could not go thru the steering rack anymore, correct? You still have the button in place right?

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the information. The most intriguing to me is the 2000 something Dodge Dakota complete front to rear chassis to include the motor and trans. Problem is finding a reassonably priced donor. I am going to liik into it. Did that on my 58 Dodge powerwagon....2006 26,000 mile Dodge 1500 mega cab with everything to include a 350 hrmi for 7500.00 ! The other set up is the Fatman IFS Jon used with 5.3 chevy LSD motor, Pat refer's to. That is a ver fine job befitting a very nice 49 Jon. I use the 5.3's in all my Packard refits. They are powerful and geared low and half the price of the Corvette stuff. The Helix Kmac refers to is priced well but the Fatman gives you a sway bar....11 inch rotors....brake lines....upgrade to 2 inch dropped spindles....free shipping....upgrade to power rack.....so the price is close to the same. That gives me a few options to chew on....again many thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        Jon,
                        You didn't have to loose the horn button, just the ability to use it as a horn because the wire could not go thru the steering rack anymore, correct? You still have the button in place right?
                        Correctomundo. Still got the placebo horn button. Not about to get rid of that, I paid $59 for a brand new one.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I saw a 55 C cab back in 85 , used 84 Corvette suspension. The inside of the K frame is 1/2" narrower than the C cab frame, used 1/2" plate and welded it in a 1/4" in on each side. I'm pretty sure that the truck is in either the LA area or Durango Co. area, or back & forth between both.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

These are the guys I am going with on my ’58, front and rear Corvette suspension:

I talked to the owner for quite a while and they seem like they really know there stuff. Worksheets are available on line to make sure everything fits.
                            Dan White
                            64 R1 GT
                            64 R2 GT
                            58 C Cab
                            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I am familiar with Progressive. They are big into Corvette independent front and rear suspensions. My only question is ...for all the extra one would pay for their products....does it afford you a better ride and or handling ?

Comment

Working...
                              X