PDA

View Full Version : "Stance"

Studedude
04-28-2012, 09:05 PM
From time to time, members of the forum have been known to make comments about one car or an others, "Stance."

Such comments cause me, occasionally, to ponder that I might like to do this and/or that to my '54, to improve this, and/or that.

We all know that I have considered different wheels, and passed on that change.

A couple of days ago, while sitting and pondering the '54's "stance," I decided I might like to raise the rear of her skirt a little. This is how she sits now, and I kinda thought I'd like to raise her tush just a tad:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Tulsa%202012/01b.jpg

I thought that, until I saw this:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Tulsa%202012/19b.jpg

Think I'll leave her alone!

But... I will consider input!

Dick Steinkamp
04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Sheba's stance is perfect.

Wheels suck.

BobGlasscock
04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
I think so, too, Dave. Sheba is perfect. Just admit it.

tbirdtbird
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
your '54 is totally delicious the way it is, man.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !

jlmccuan
04-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you for not changing her.

mbstude
04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
You should add gold plated lug nuts to accent the lovely spinners. Gold valve stem caps, too.

I know that there are a lot of things that ain't right. But, Sheba ain't one of those things.

kmac530
04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Dave, I am assuming Sheba is your car, and that is the darker red one with the honeycomb wheels?
If so, I would leave it alone or LOWER if anything. The brighter red one with the painted bumpers and billet style wheels just doesn't do it for me. Nice car for sure, just not as nice as the darker red one in the first picture. Much more cohesive look and the right details for the car.

johnod
04-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Dave

Stance is good as is.
I in fact lowered the rear of mine so it sits much like yours now, maybe a little lower all around, but the stance is about the same.
Just about perfect.

JRoberts
04-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Leave her alone, Dave. She looks fine right now.

Nelsen Motorsports
04-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Keep it like that. That is how mine sits and to get mine that way took a lot of time metal shaping.

avantilover
04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
A lovely car Dave, leave it as it is now, just perfect.

pdrnec
04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Sheba is still the nicest example of the most elegant Studebaker design, in my opinion. I've always admired her, often with lust in my heart.

Chris Pile
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
What, Dave? You don't like Bill's Studillac?

Studedude
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
What, Dave? You don't like Bill's Studillac?

Didn't say that, Chris!

I like Bill's car... a lot... it's much nicer than mine!

I just don't want to emulate its stance, any more than he would want to emulate my car's stance with his!

I like my car more than I like Bill's, and there would be something wrong with Bill, if he didn't like his car more than he should like mine!

I wouldn't trade with Bill, and Bill would be an idiot to trade with me... and... Bill ain't no idiot, so there's no issue there! ;)

So, while looking at Bill's car helped me decide not to change my car's stance, there is no lack of respect here for the "stance" Bill took with his Studeillac! :cool:

woodysrods
04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Definitely do not raise her tail any more!
Good Roads
Brian

Chris Pile
04-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Didn't say that, Chris!

Just giving you a hard time, Dave. LOL

Studedude
04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
You should add gold plated lug nuts to accent the lovely spinners. Gold valve stem caps, too.

Where, oh where, would a fellow find such things, Matt?

Studedude
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Just giving you a hard time, Dave. LOL
I know... wouldn't have it any other way! ;)

Some folks don't know you, but I have your number. :D

And, we both know Bill, as he knows us!

Milaca
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Dave, I get the feeling that you are bored with your car and that you need a new project to keep your hands and mind occupied. I would be happy to trade you a rusty beat-up Stude project for your Sheba, even up. Yes, I know I am too generous, but it would do my heart good to give you such joy. ;)

Studedude
04-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Dave, I get the feeling that you are bored with your car and that you need a new project to keep your hands and mind occupied. I would be happy to trade you a rusty beat-up Stude project for your Sheba, even up. Yes, I know I am too generous, but it would do my heart good to give you such joy. ;)

You are correct... I am bored, on so many fronts....

Retirement, on one hand, is great.

On the other hand, it sucks, because boredom runs amuck.

When one is gainfully employed, he has money, and precious little time.

When one is retired, he has time, and precious little money.

And, yes, you are also all too much generous...

But...

I must pass on your most generous offer...

Because, while I am a certified idiot, What's Her Face is not, and she would not approve of such an arrangement.

Milaca
04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
You are correct... I am bored, on so many fronts....

And, yes, you are also all too much generous...

But...

I must pass on your most generous offer...

Because, while I am a certified idiot, What's Her Face is not, and she would not approve of such an arrangement.

You've got it good Dave. I wish I had a 'What's Her Face', then I wouldnt keep spending my hard earned money on rusty Studebakers! :)

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:06 AM
You've got it good Dave. I wish I had a 'What's Her Face', :)
I am lucky, indeed.

(If I want What's Her Face to know I said that, I'll tell her myself, thank you ever so very much!)

I guess I could call her, "My Karen," but she wouldn't answer. :cool:

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Sheba's stance is perfect.

Wheels suck.

Well.

Here I am, once again, caught somewhere between elated, and devastated.

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Thank you for not changing her.
Thanks, Jim.

You need to meet my brother in law.

Email me, and I'll tell you why.

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
You guys are all too kind.

Thank you for your comments!

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Sheba is still the nicest example of the most elegant Studebaker design, in my opinion. I've always admired her, often with lust in my heart.
Now, coming from you, that is a compliment, Jimma... er... Pat! <GGG>

Pat Dilling
04-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I agree with all the folks that think if anything she should be lower. I like the fender lip even with the top of the wheel myself, but that's just me.

As one of my custom heroes says: "It's gotta be bitchin', it's gotta be low, and it's gotta be driveable" -- Fat Jack

Studedude
04-29-2012, 12:54 AM
I agree with all the folks that think if anything she should be lower. I like the fender lip even with the top of the wheel myself, but that's just me.
I love the look of your car, Pat.

Just not sure I could go that low with 'Sheba.

Your roads must be smoother than ours. :)

jallen
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Dave, your car looks about right to me, especially the darker color. But you've just pointed out another good reason to go to car shows.

JimC
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Don't mess with perfection :D

I really like how you have done the doors by the way, especially the door handle. It looks like it was designed to roll out the factory that way.

4961Studebaker
04-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Gotta say, no higher than she is, tad lower - oh an inch, would be my vote.

The gold, while popular with some seems to ultimately date Sheba,
Brass and big Axx! Clash
Bring her into at least the late 90's :)

DEEPNHOCK
04-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Need's DUB's

bob40
04-29-2012, 06:38 AM
You seem to be spending a lot of time looking at Sheba's rear end.
Common pastime? ;)

okc63avanti
04-29-2012, 07:40 AM
A couple of days ago, while sitting and pondering the '54's "stance," I decided I might like to raise the rear of her skirt a little. This is how she sits now, and I kinda thought I'd like to raise her tush just a tad:

But... I will consider input!

Dave, How about a lift kit that is adjustable?

Some type of pneumatic shocks or lifters would allow you to keep her "stance" modest for those occasions like driving her to church or taking the wife out on a romantic dinner.

But when she is around us dirty old men, she could lift up her skirt just enough to flirt with us :) :D ;)

Just don't get her those Mexican hopping lifts !!! We would never forgive you for that.

kmac530
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
If it is TOO low, your TOO old.
JK of course.

NO DUBS....please NOOOOOOOO
The honeycombs and gold/brass accents may date the car a tiny bit, but it is a good date. Leave it.

Pat Dilling
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Speaking of adjustable, I had my rear springs "de-arched" and then added Air over leaf from RideTech to give me some adjustment when encountering bumps or needing to change a tire. Of course then I needed to add an on-board compressor... One thing leads to another. http://www.ridetech.com/store/airoverleaf/. If you just wanted to be able to adjust simply, you can just put schrader valves somewhere accessible. I had them in my trunk before I added the compressor.

Here is a link to a journal showing my installation. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=33611&page=4&perpage=5&reverse=

The air bags have worked out very well for me, been in there for over 5 years now. However, if I was to start over with my rear suspension, I would get rid of the leaf springs completely and put in a triangulated 4 link. I started to do that to begin with and got talked out of it. :rolleyes:

PackardV8
04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
However, if I was to start over with my rear suspension, I would get rid of the leaf springs completely and put in a triangulated 4 link. I started to do that to begin with and got talked out of it.Hi, Pat, your car, so I won't try to talk you out of a 4-link. I've converted leaf rears to 4-link and never again. This setup works so well, I'd use it every time. http://calvertracing.com/caltracs.php

http://calvertracing.com/new-images/products-Caltracsimg.jpg

jack vines

mbstude
04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Jim.

You need to meet my brother in law.

Email me, and I'll tell you why.

I think I've heard that story. And I think Jim needs to meet the guy!

Corvanti
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
late to the party, but your "sheba" is perfect. :cool::cool::cool:

if you're really getting bored, i wonder if that '50 land cruiser is still available near you? would be something to tinker with and, no doubt, profit from... :)

(i still imagine her in my 'cave).

Studedude
04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
late to the party, but your "sheba" is perfect. :cool::cool::cool:

if you're really getting bored, i wonder if that '50 land cruiser is still available near you? would be something to tinker with and, no doubt, profit from... :)

(i still imagine her in my 'cave).
The '50 has changed hands, but is still available... meaning the profit margin is gone.

Corvanti
04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
alrighty then... time to fantasize about another of my "top 5" Stude models i want when i get my doctor bills paid in full... ;)

johnod
04-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi, Pat, your car, so I won't try to talk you out of a 4-link. I've converted leaf rears to 4-link and never again. This setup works so well, I'd use it every time. http://calvertracing.com/caltracs.php

jack vines

Jack

This is a drag race, launching car, thing correct?
Doesn't help going around corners does it?

junior
04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Jack

This is a drag race, launching car, thing correct?
Doesn't help going around corners does it?

John, you are correct...but that's the real beauty of CalTracs...they don't hinder your car's usual suspension movement, are 'tuneable', and really work well when you get on the juice. Check out their web site for some fantasic photos of their product in action at the strip.

Dave...Sheba's stance is cool...leave her alone. As for my car's stance...well it could use about 3/4" less back space on the rear wheels, and the front end's altitude is going to be dropped about 1"...hopefully that will nail it . Cheers, Junior.

parts
04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I think your stance is right on..

My 53 is bagged so I change it a little now and then..
A little higher here..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Stude%20in%20Patagonia%20Jan30%202012/P1000716.jpg

We should get together around Christmas..red and green !

parts
04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Dropped a little here
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Studebaker/P1000580-1.jpg?t=1334647515

Uh..pre chrome grilles and Strato Vue mirror..

junior
04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Dropped a little here
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Studebaker/P1000580-1.jpg?t=1334647515

Uh..pre chrome grilles and Strato Vue mirror..

Those wheels work so much better on your car than the cream colored mopar steelies! Regards, Junior.

Pat Dilling
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi, Pat, your car, so I won't try to talk you out of a 4-link. I've converted leaf rears to 4-link and never again. This setup works so well, I'd use it every time. http://calvertracing.com/caltracs.php

jack vines

Jack, I am familiar with the Caltracs and they are a good solution, especially for a car that will see a fair amount of time on the track/drag strip. They were developed for drag cars that had to retain leaf springs for class rule requirements at the track. I have ridden in a number of cars with the triangulated 4 link set up and for combination of ride quality, adjustability, and performance I really like what they provide. I do not plan to make extensive changes to my current set up now. Was only speaking on what I would do if I were to start over with it. Hind sight is 20-20. :)

Lark Parker
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Sheba's trunk lid has a much better fit than the second car.

Roscomacaw
04-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Sheba's stance is quite alluring. If a gal needs to raise her skirt to attract attention, she obviously has other shortcomings she's trying to offset!

plwindish
05-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Sheba is great. Wheels are great. I'm not a fan of that particular type of billet wheel on the other car, but opinions are like anal orifices, everybody has one!

(S)
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
15129This one sits pretty. I have a question: something about the front bumper looks like it has been moved closer in and down to me. ??

mike super
05-06-2012, 03:33 PM
The "attitude" of your red 54 may now be somewhat excessive. Usually, in a built out "street rod" chassis those building the chassis have no clue. Most incorporate bump steer into their end result bynot allowing the proper number of degrees in both the front and rear suspension components. More than adequate attude is attained by the difference in overall height of the rear tire in comparisaon to the front. Normal is 29 tall rear and 26 tall front overall height. The chassis itself should be put in the jig to accompodate whatever those numbers are for the difference in heights and then the suspension is built parallel to the horizon.....NO BUMP STEER best handkling attained. When I have my cars done.....I usually also attempt top set the motor and trans as far rear in the compartment as possible and put a 3/4"plate in the trunk 3'x3' to improve the weight distribution ...thus better road feel and handling and no diving into tight turns.

As for the triangulated 4 bar with coil overs....done properly far better set up than the coil springs. Get someone who knows their onions and you will love the end result Pat. See photos of a car that the "attutide" was built in how the floor was molded into ther body. If you notice the yellow chassis which is under the gray car is parallel to the ground.....also metal was inserted in the rear frame rails to add weight for better handling. We built the car using a vacuum forming process...and vinyl estre resins....very very high end. The top was removable and the convertible to folded down into the body ....like the 60's vette. Had a water fall and you sat 4 inches into the frame. Was quite a car and chassis combo. The triangulated rear came out of an 80's Monte Carlo....and the triangulated bars were 1 1/4 inches swedged down at the ends to 7/8 and the ends were OEM using rubber to encapsulate the steel to make each connection....super strong ...super durable and allows for an incredible ride. I am going to use this exact set up on my 53 C-cab redo...

DEEPNHOCK
05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Stance is EVERYTHING.........
Even at 200+ mph!

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/16045/2379427660038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

studegary
05-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Even at 200+ mph!

Notice how that stance makes the top of the roof approximately parallel to the ground.

Dick Steinkamp
05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Notice how that stance makes the top of the roof approximately parallel to the ground.

Near perfect, IMHO. :cool:

wcarroll@outrageous.net
05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
One of the nicest ways to make your ride height ajustable while improving handling:

http://www.ridetech.com/store/shockwaves/

I mocked up a set of their 1000 Series on my '54 Commander years ago and there was enough room in the spring pocket to accomodate the bag if you ran them upside down which isn't a problem according to their techs.

Cash
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Y'know, if ya don't like the stance, you could always jack up the back end, put some of those monster Mickey Thompson 50's on the back, littles up front..might paint her primer gray too, and add one of those big boxy hood scoops too....need some Thrush muffler decals to finish the look.:)

Studedude
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Y'know, if ya don't like the stance, you could always jack up the back end, put some of those monster Mickey Thompson 50's on the back, littles up front..might paint her primer gray too, and add one of those big boxy hood scoops too....need some Thrush muffler decals to finish the look.:)
'Don't think I'll be hiring you as my adviser anytime soon, Cash, but thanks for checking in, and giving me a reality check! :D

I don't dislike her stance so much that I wanna change all that much right now, so I reckon I'll just live with her as she is, especially since there is certainly nothing wrong with the way she handles... very often, we get where we are going, and I wish that we weren't there yet, 'cause I'd like to keep on goin' on down the road, 'cause drivin' is so much more fun than stoppin'! :!!:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/Feb05.jpg

I pondered, and gave serious consideration to your color, body, and stance modification recommendations, and I wanna thank you for making me realize how happy I actually am with the old girl, just as she is!!

THANKS!! :woot:

I guess I'll find something to work on in the Quonset, or maybe, the yard. :eek:

Studedude
05-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Don't mess with perfection :D

I really like how you have done the doors by the way, especially the door handle. It looks like it was designed to roll out the factory that way.
Thanks, Jim. What we did with the doors involved a lot of consternation, planning, and work... and, I wasn't sure we had done the right thing, until the package came together. Of course, I like it, and it's nice to know that some others do, as well.

Studedude
05-07-2012, 12:24 AM
:cool:
Sheba's trunk lid has a much better fit than the second car.
Nothing gets past our friend, Lark Parker!

Studedude
05-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Sheba's stance is quite alluring. If a gal needs to raise her skirt to attract attention, she obviously has other shortcomings she's trying to offset!
I never thought I'd find you, of all people, looking up 'Sheba's skirt, Sir Robert! :ohmy:

Studedude
05-07-2012, 12:30 AM
You seem to be spending a lot of time looking at Sheba's rear end.
Common pastime? ;)
DUH... ya think? :D

Studedude
05-07-2012, 12:33 AM
We should get together around Christmas..red and green !
Works for me, parts! I think your car is the cat's meow, and they would look good together at Christmas (or any other) time!

Cash
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
'Don't think I'll be hiring you as my adviser anytime soon, Cash, but thanks for checking in, and giving me a reality check! :D

I don't dislike her stance so much that I wanna change all that much right now, so I reckon I'll just live with her as she is, especially since there is certainly nothing wrong with the way she handles... very often, we get where we are going, and I wish that we weren't there yet, 'cause I'd like to keep on goin' on down the road, 'cause drivin' is so much more fun than stoppin'! :!!:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/Feb05.jpg

I pondered, and gave serious consideration to your color, body, and stance modification recommendations, and I wanna thank you for making me realize how happy I actually am with the old girl, just as she is!!

THANKS!! :woot:

I guess I'll find something to work on in the Quonset, or maybe, the yard. :eek:

You're welcome bud..:)
All kidding aside, that is a purty (texan for dang good lookin') car. BTW, when did the tem "stance" replace "rake'?
(sigh) I'm showing my age, and I'm only 51

studegary
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
You're welcome bud..:)
All kidding aside, that is a purty (texan for dang good lookin') car. BTW, when did the tem "stance" replace "rake'?
(sigh) I'm showing my age, and I'm only 51

Stance does not replace rake. To me, at least, rake means tilt toward the front and stance is how it sits, that can mean tilt to the front, tilt to the rear, not tilt, different ride heights.

Baker54
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I agree with everyone else that it would be difficult to improve on Sheba's Stance. Would it be too much to ask to get the size of Sheba's front tires and the distance from the fender lip to the ground front and back? I should have gotten this information while we were in Tulsa but I forgot. Senior Moment!

Studedude
05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Would it be too much to ask to get the size of Sheba's front tires and the distance from the fender lip to the ground front and back?

Front tire size: P205/75R15, fender lip to floor, 24 1/4" (at center of wheel.)

Rear tire size: P235/70R15, fender lip to floor, 23 1/2" (at center of wheel.)

That does not mean that, overall, the rear sits lower than the front, 'cause the front fender well is cut "higher" into the body line than is the rear fender well.

This is what caused me to consider raising the rear end, but I'm all done with considerin' that.

I "photo shopped" the image a little, tilting it, until the, "top of the roof was approximately parallel to the ground," and lowered the rear wheel/tire accordingly:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/rake2.jpg

The top image is how the car sits now, the bottom image is adjusted with a little more "rake."

For no more difference between the two stances, it's not worth any effort or expense to change it, IMHO.

johnod
05-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Dave
Have you got some sort of rear panel under rear bumper with cutouts for exhaust?
I'm looking at the first post pic.

DEEPNHOCK
05-11-2012, 10:12 PM
'Stance' is not just on the show grounds either.......

http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/51336/1150862718038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
See what I mean?:woot:

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/51252/1151868379038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

(Jim Turner, Jerry Forrester, Dave Lester.......all deep in thought...)

Baker54
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Great Photo!

Baker54
05-11-2012, 10:28 PM

That does not mean that, overall, the rear sits lower than the front, 'cause the front fender well is cut "higher" into the body line than is the rear fender well:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/Feb06.jpg

This is what made consider raising the rear end, but I'm all done with considerin' that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information. I'll be working on my set-up next weekend.

Studedude
05-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Dave
Have you got some sort of rear panel under rear bumper with cutouts for exhaust?
I'm looking at the first post pic.

Yes, John, there is a rear valance there. It is an original Studebaker item:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/rearvalance.jpg

Sorry about the image quality. If you need a better picture, I'll take one outside tomorrow... just let me know.

This item was missing from my car when I got it, but I got lucky... really lucky... and found this one. It was originally a single exhaust unit, but the fellow I bought it from had already modified it for dual exhaust, and painted it for his car. His car color is not quite the same as mine, but was so close that I did not have to paint the valance, I just bolted it on... there is enough space between that item and the rest of the car that the color looks "right." :cool:

Studedude
05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
:ohmy:
'Stance' is not just on the show grounds either.......
Can you believe we actually got our rides wet?

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/charlotte2/Charlo13.jpg

Oh, the shame!

Studedude
05-11-2012, 11:02 PM

Jerry is never in deep thought... he's always sitting in that lawn chair, laughing, and watching other folks think 'n work. That's my "stance," and I'm stickin' to it! :D

BTW, Jeff, I sent you a PM, but haven't seen a response. (I've been having some 'puter problems, though.) :mad:

I got your surprise package. THANKS... I'll use it! :cool:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Quonset/hooters.jpg

BUT... I must ask... Do you have me confused with Mr. Andrews? :confused: ;)

I've never set foot in a Hooters, but I love the gift... thanks!

johnod
05-11-2012, 11:05 PM

That does not mean that, overall, the rear sits lower than the front, 'cause the front fender well is cut "higher" into the body line than is the rear fender well.

This is what made consider raising the rear end, but I'm all done with considerin' that.

I "photo shopped" the image a little, tilting it, until the, "top of the roof was approximately parallel to the ground," and lowered the rear wheel/tire accordingly:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/rake2.jpg

The top image is how the car sits now, the bottom image is adjusted with a little more "rake."

For no more difference between the two stances, it's not worth any effort or expense to change it, IMHO.

I like the bottom one best, it looks like there's moret tire between wheel and rear fender than the top pic.
I'd measure mine for caomparison but it, on jackstands right now.

Thanks for info on rear panel..
j

Studedude
05-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I like the bottom one best, it looks like there's more tire between wheel and rear fender than the top pic.

I like the bottom pic a little better, too.

But... I wouldn't spend any more that 20 minutes or $20.00 to change it, 'cause there's not 2 cents difference between them, IMHO. <GGG>

johnod
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
I just noticed. Where's the gas tank fill tube/door?

Studedude
05-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I just noticed. Where's the gas tank fill tube/door?
Right there, where it's always been. No mods there.

Jerry Forrester
05-12-2012, 06:04 AM
I just spent 45 minutes constructing a post with graphs, charts, pictures and text to show you what the proper stance for a C-K is. My laptop decided this was a good time to do an update and re-boot. I lost it all. I love ya Dave, but not enough to do it all again. So all you get a couple of pictures of Frosty.
http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/47749/2660128120107359901S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2660128120107359901vEquPF)

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/47603/2265318110107359901S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2265318110107359901cZfZXg)

DEEPNHOCK
05-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Yeah! Fill those wheelwells up with real tires!
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

<snip>
http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/47603/2265318110107359901S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2265318110107359901cZfZXg)

DEEPNHOCK
05-12-2012, 06:13 AM
That's an East Coast Kurs (or Kurs Lit) dispenser:D

<snip>
I got your surprise package. THANKS... I'll use it! :cool:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Quonset/hooters.jpg
<snip>

JRoberts
05-12-2012, 08:15 AM

If that is from Charlotte, as I remember it they may have been "deep" but I am not sure it was "in thought.":rolleyes:

DEEPNHOCK
05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
If that is from Charlotte, as I remember it they may have been "deep" but I am not sure it was "in thought.":rolleyes:

Yes. it was from the Charlotte IM....
Note the perv's checkin' out Sheba's butt......;)

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/42167/1151453079038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

4961Studebaker
05-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Dave I've been thinking about this stance thing for some time now. Deep thought yes, consuming thought no:).

What ever stance you choose is good with me, my thoughts relate to the wheels, now I said some words that I'm sure hurt shebas feelings (wheels looking dated).

I'm here to say I think you should keep the wheels. Over time and conversations with other members, "ones" car becomes synonymous with ones owner. When I think of you it's Sheba with gold spinners.

Now you can change them if it's your desire, change can be good, but I will identify you as the owner w gold spinners just as I do Jeff's yellow pos, sweet pea w her blacked wheels and others.

Jerry Forrester
05-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm here to say I think you should keep the wheels..
I agree with ChopStu
Keep the wheels.
In the back of the quanset. So no one else will put them on a car.
Put a set of Torque Thrusts on Sheba. She deserves to go first class. And put some Meats under her ass. And raise her rear 1 3/8". Then she'll be perfect. Except for those godawful door handles. You know, the more I think about it, there's not anything I like about Sheba. You sell her to me really real cheap and build yourself a nicer car. Maybe a Dodge Diplomat or something groovie like that.

Dick Steinkamp
05-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with ChopStu
Keep the wheels.

:!!:

studegary
05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
IMO -
For Dave L's car: I like the top picture best (as-is). It is "going down hill" too much in the lower picture.
For Jerry F's car: To me, the rear tires are too large and the rear of the car looks raised up too much.
With that said, I like both cars and would take either one.

Studedude
05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
We had a good time, eh, Joe?

Studedude
05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Dave I've been thinking about this stance thing for some time now. Deep thought yes, consuming thought no:).

What ever stance you choose is good with me, my thoughts relate to the wheels, now I said some words that I'm sure hurt shebas feelings (wheels looking dated).

I'm here to say I think you should keep the wheels. Over time and conversations with other members, "ones" car becomes synonymous with ones owner. When I think of you it's Sheba with gold spinners.

Now you can change them if it's your desire, change can be good, but I will identify you as the owner w gold spinners just as I do Jeff's yellow pos, sweet pea w her blacked wheels and others.

No hurt feelings here, Kevin.... thanks for the support! <G>

Studedude
05-12-2012, 05:19 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=645643#post645643)
I agree with ChopStu
Keep the wheels.

:!!:

Gee, aren't friends great! :woot:

Jerry Forrester
05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=645643#post645643)
I agree with ChopStu
Keep the wheels.

Gee, aren't friends great! :woot:

we just here hep.

Jerry Forrester
05-12-2012, 05:46 PM
By the way, I came to a cruise in tonight by myself. I brought TWO chairs just in case one broke.

Studedude
05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
By the way, I came to a cruise in tonight by myself. I brought TWO chairs just in case one broke.

Yep... that's the Jerry I know!

JRoberts
05-12-2012, 05:54 PM
We had a good time, eh, Joe?

Oh, yes we did. I believe that was the first time for the famous Rehydration Station. It was a good time indeed.

63 R2 Hawk
05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Henrietta (Hawk) likes it!!!

Studedude
05-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Henrietta (Hawk) likes it!!!
Henrietta is quite the looker herself!

63 R2 Hawk
05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
There was an Avanti checking her out the other day, but I'm not sure what the kids would look like......

DEEPNHOCK
05-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Oh I can see it now.... "R0269, come in for lunch!"

There was an Avanti checking her out the other day, but I'm not sure what the kids would look like......

DEEPNHOCK
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
This Corvette tried and tried to duplicate that 'stance'... Just couldn't quite get it quite right:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/HVY286/INTERNET%20FINDS/D-AVETTE.jpg

Even at 200+ mph!

Studedude
05-18-2012, 10:04 PM
This Corvette tried and tried to duplicate that 'stance'... Just couldn't quite get it quite right:D
Ain't right when a crutch has to be used, eh?

dean pearson
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Jeff,
Is that your black car ?

Dean
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/HVY286/INTERNET%20FINDS/D-AVETTE.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
05-19-2012, 05:58 AM
I wish...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/MAXS7181.jpg
No, That's Chuck Venable's Stude, out of North Carolina.
http://www.venablerodsandracing.com/ (http://www.venablerodsandracing.com/)
That pic was taken at the 'Ohio Mile' in Gainesville, Ohio, where the ECTA runs 5 or 6 times a year.

As a side note, the famous 'Salt-2-Salt' land speed racing '53 Stude is heading over to the 'Ohio Mile' in a few weeks to try the shuttle runway out..

(I told Jim McCuan that he should suggest that they rename it 'Salt-2-Road Salt' when they race it in Ohio:D)

Jeff,
Is that your black car ?
Dean

JRoberts
05-19-2012, 06:54 PM
East Coast Timing Association 2012 schedule is as follows (only for events for this year):

April 28-29 Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge
June 2-3 (Sponsor to be announced)
July 7-8 (Sponsor to be announced)
Sept 29-30 Throttle Nation Top Speed Challendge

Number of entrants for each event is limited to 175. I understand that they are getting close to meeting that number for the June meet already so if you wan to run you need to preregister right away. For details chech here: http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Rocket442
07-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Killer stance, love it, exactly the look i was thinking. Could i please get the sizes and info on the rim. Any close up pix. Thanks as this will save me time and money from just taking a estimated guess.

I just spent 45 minutes constructing a post with graphs, charts, pictures and text to show you what the proper stance for a C-K is. My laptop decided this was a good time to do an update and re-boot. I lost it all. I love ya Dave, but not enough to do it all again. So all you get a couple of pictures of Frosty.
http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/47749/2660128120107359901S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2660128120107359901vEquPF)

Jerry Forrester
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Killer stance, love it, exactly the look i was thinking. Could i please get the sizes and info on the rim. Any close up pix. Thanks as this will save me time and money from just taking a estimated guess.

The front wheels are '62 Lark with 215-75R15 tires.
The rear wheels are 15 X 8 rims with Lark centers welded in and 265-75R15 tires.
I have 1/4" clearance between the fender lip and the tire and 1/2" clearance between the leaf spring and the tire. Sometimes entering a driveway one of the rear tires will actually rub the plastic spring insulators between the leafs.
Since these pix were snapped I have raised the front 1". The rake isn't quite pronounced. I didn't do it for Studegary's sake, I did it for myself. And I did it the Caso way, two twist in coil spring spacers in each front spring.
Other than the front CASO spring spacers all the suspension is as It left the factory (except for shocks). The lowering of the front was accomplished by 1800 pounds (or ever how much the front of a "55 C weighs) pushing down on the coil springs.
The rear was raised simply by putting big-ass tired under there.

johnod
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Mine is quite low, but i like it, except when i need to get under it of course.

Studedude
07-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Mine is quite low, but i like it, except when i need to get under it of course.
Ain't nothin' wrong with that!!