Clutch/Brake Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Brake Pedals

I've been around Studes since 1960(Dad traded a 51 Hudson in on a 57 Broadmoor that year) and thought I had a fairly good knowledge of same. I've owned a 62 GT, Restored a 62 T Cab, Driven and worked on numerous 62 Studes.
    All this to say, as I sat at a red light a few days ago, it hit me that my recently aquired 62 Daytona has swing pedals. I had it in my mind that all 62 brake and clutch pedals went through the floor. Did that change occur in conjunction with going to the full flow block mid year 62? My GT ,an automatic brake went through the floor as well as the T Cab which is also automotic. It should've occured to me when I removed the master cyclinder to rebuild. Please help fill the gap in knowledge. Ser.# 62V6161
    Kim

All C/K's are through the floor.

All C cabs are through the floor

Champ trucks hang begining in 61? never really noticed if they do

All sedans and wagons Hang begining in 61.
    Last edited by (S); 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post

Champ Trucks had swing pedals in 63-64, 62's were still thru the floor.
      JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post

64 Hawks were hanging pedals, not sure about the 63

Comment

No Hawks ever had hanging pedals.

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          64 Hawks were hanging pedals, not sure about the 63
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I was pondering this same question the other day and came to the conclusion that it would not make a difference if the engine was full flow or not but probably when a four speed was available in the sedans.

I say this because I am doing a four speed swap to a 59 Lark and was wondering about the clutch rod being mounted to the transmission and how they did it for the four speed. It would appear that the four speed became available in conjunction with the suspended pedals. I maybe jumping to conclusions but one of two, or maybe three, things happened there. Either the suspended pedals was a design change and the four speed now was able to be fitted. Or the four speed was needed and the suspended pedals was an easier option which then meant all manual Lark types would have the change. The third is that both the four speed and suspended pedals were needed to keep the Larks evolving but one still cant have a stock four speed Lark with out the suspended pedals unless I am missing something.

Comment

My 63 G.T. Hawk has a 4 speed & pedals thru the floor. 4 speed tranny's became available first in the 61 Hawk & then in all cars in 62. The only thing really different on a 4 speed is the speedometer cable. It is by itself different from all the others used by Studebaker but has the same end going into the trans as the "Big 3" used.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

64 Hawks were hanging pedals, No, as previously stated, all C/K body pedals through the floor.

It would appear that the four speed became available in conjunction with the suspended pedals. I maybe jumping to conclusions but one of two, or maybe three, things happened there.
                Yes on jumping to conclusions. Classic post hoc, ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this) error in reasoning. There was nothing about the full-flow engine or the 4-speed transmission which required the suspended pedals.

FWIW, the suspended clutch linkage was a mechanical nightmare of bad engineering design. What were they thinking?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Thread Hijack

Jack,

Do you, or any one else, have any photos of the underside a Hawk transmission with 4 speed so I can see the clutch rod setup? I have see the setup of the Lark and I might be able to use the old and new to make it work but I have not seen how the Hawk with 4 speed was setup with the threw the floor pedals. The manual and parts books are not detailed enough to get a complete picture. It might not make a difference as I'm putting in a Ford Toploader anyway. It does not have a transmission mount underneath that lines up with any Studebaker clutch rod linkage and the shaft came so close to hitting the transmission that the bracket would not fit. This being said it was however on the right side of the transmission, at the time as it was in a RHC Lark in Australia. The Toploader has the shift levers and the floor shift rods in the way on the side I need to mount it. I will have a more complete idea when I go to fit it up when the car comes back from paint. To give you an idea of how far back the trans mount is I have a 65/66 Studebaker transmission crossmember for extra stiffness and to mount the Toploader. The Toploader mount will end up only a few inches forward of the mounting plate on the crossmember. Although I have measured more than twice I will wait until it is fitted before I commit to any final measurements and cut a hole in the floor.

I saw a US Lark converted to use a Toploader transmission back in the 80's and he used certain parts that mirrored in Australia. I think it was crude and would like a more factory job. That is why I'm thinking of using the shaft and bracket in the later location and moving the rod closer to the chassis, if you know what I mean. I have a suspended pedal setup from a 62 that I can use parts from but I will only know for sure once I have the car back in my possession. If anyone reading this post has any experience with a LHC Toploader conversion I'm all ears and if anyone wants pics of the conversion I will post it when done. Like I mentioned I have done it before but on RHC cars and want this LHC car to be factory looking. I can do an hydraulic setup but like the mechanical because it usually gives me plenty of warning of it failing.

Len.

Comment

I have not seen how the Hawk with 4 speed was setup with the threw the floor pedals.
                    Don't have the underside photos, but somewhere I may have the bracket which mounted to the transmission. IIRC, it mounted to the the side cover bolts. If it can be found, I'll take a photo of that.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X