Freewheeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewheeling

Wow is that a wierd feeling, especially when it is unexpected.

I was working under Oscar changing out the 6V solenoid to the 12V and running some wires so I can get the OD working. I bumped the OD actuator arm and didn't see which way it was originally pointing. I do not have a cable hooked up yet, so I took my best guess at which way the lever should be for direct NON-OD and I flipped it that way. Latter on in the day, I went for a drive and when I came up to my first stop light, let off the gas to start slowing down, and off it goes just coasting....what a wierd feeling.

Then even wierder is the way it re-engages when you get back on the throttle. Nothing, nothing, nothing--go. Not a jolt or clunk or anything bad, just climbing RPM's and not speed, then pulling.

Very odd feeling for a guy who has never driven an OD vehicle before. But a cool step forward in getting the OD hooked up.

Just thought I would share.

I may be in need of a new OD cable, I seem to have misplaced mine and it was pretty frozen up when I took it off. Are they available? Are they pricey?
    Last edited by kmac530; 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM.

Not hard to find....check with SI
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I just scrolled through {I still don't have a paper catalog} the entire catalog and can not find on listed. It is not in trans/OD section or in brakes and cables that I can see. Any ideas what section or page it might be on?

Comment

page 234 under lock out cables
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Kelly, I'm slowly working up a WSW setup for you.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            Are the available? Are they pricey?
            I believe Randy Rundle is making them.
            Scroll about two-thirds down this page:
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You usually have to get up to about 28 mph, then let your foot off the gas momentarily, for the OD to kick in. You are not describing this so I am not sure what is happening. Also, contrary to popular belief, you are not freewheeling in OD, but it feels that way because of the gearing itself, the wheels have less impact trying to slow the motor. But you are def. freewheeling below about 25 mph and you will not get engine braking. You'll get used to it !!! LOL. In fact, my 1950 Jeepster w/ B/W OD original owners manual says you can shift without the clutch below about 20-22 mph because of the freewheeling. Of course , you still have to come off the line using the clutch, but can upshift into 2nd then 3rd without it, as long as you keep the speed below 22. It does work, too, I have tried it, tho I usually just shift in the usual manner. This was promoted to encourage women to drive more since they usually did not like a clutch
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thanks for the link Rockne. That is not bad at $60.
                After I posted that I started digging around my stuff looking for it. I found my old one on my cart with all of my stuff for my 1965 Yamaha Cafe Racer project....wierd. Of course it was frozen up as I remembered it being...I coiled it up in a bucket of Marvel...it free'd up and works pretty good now. I think I am going to try to use it first.

tbird, My wiring is not done yet for the OD solenoids....tomorrow hopefully. I will not be able to use speed as a way to tell when to engage...my speedo is WAY off since the trans came out of a '52 Commander car and it is in a 2R10 truck with 5.57:1 gears....it is not even close. I will just learn to do it by feel like you do on a dirt bike shift.

Bob, thanks for working on the WSW stuff. I am excited. Those are some of the last pieces I need to make all of the systems functional now that I got my tach, water temp gauge, fuel level gauge, windows, and hopefully tomorrow my OD going....that is it for functional stuff I needed. So I am really close. I even got the wood part of the bed done. Driving him everywhere now. I even had a friend call and say "man I see you all over the valley" meaning the temescal/temecula valley area including Lake Elsinore, Murietta, Temecula.

Now I just have some sound proofing and heat insulating and carpet to do, hook up the horn, and eventually a new set of window and door seal stuff and man I am pretty much done. Oh yeah, I am ordering the new rear wheels to match the fronts but wider and new rear tires...ouch, there is over a grand$ out put I really don't have, but a boy has gotta do what a boy has gotta do, right?

I don't think a 63 year old hot rod is ever REALLY done. But those things are my only big plans left....for now.

Comment

Once you are used to overdrive you'll never leave it. I keep the Champ in overdrive all of the time. The one exception is low speeds in the mountains.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Heh - the couple of times I've driven a straight three speed in recent years, it's been downright ANNOYING not to be able to lift my right foot and have that "next gear"!
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                    X