help finding a truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding a truck

Hi, new guy here...what led me in was looking for a flat bed truck for moderate hauling. I'm with a few railroad restoration groups, and went searching for a big truck for use. After seeing what was out there, and the prices I was bummed out. Then I saw a Studebaker Grain truck, 1.5 ton and what was described as a dump bed. Not knowing what I was really looking at, I passed, then I found this place, Went to South Bend, and realized I passed up a deal. NOW....I don't want that to happen again, so I've been keeping my eyes open. Where did all the trucks go? Nothing at all in Indiana, or around the southern half of Lake Michigan... Lots out west and places I can't get to just to look. Not that I'm in a hurry, but you know how money hates to stay in wallets. Would like a 49-55 best, other than that, the other two eras are just a nice. Looking for something dependable, easy to work on (aren't they all) and that dump feature sure would come in handy. Other than Ebay and Craigs....where can I find one? Plus as a new guy, what should I be looking for? I'm not afraid on mechanicals or light welding and fabricating. If I find anything, It would have to be rolling because of where it would be stored. Any book recommendations? Sorry for the long post, just trying to get started so I can really be a Studebaker owner.

Eastern Wa, SO Idaho and Montana areas have plenty of heavy trucks yet to be found. There are a few guys that can just build you one to save you some time. Give me your specs. I know where to find these.

Comment

Hi Kevin
      Welcome to the Forum.
      IF you need to find it, this is the place!
      There are a lot of eyes and ears here on the Forum that have seen and heard of lots of stuff.
      If you are looking fo a grain truck with a dump bed then you should be prepared to haul one home from a farm state or Prarie Province.
      I am sure there are lots! I personally am an M Series lover (acquired taste) and in my search for M5 stuff I stumbled upon a lot of M15 Farm Trucks.
      But I am in the North West. Good dry vehicles here but further distance from you.
      Although transport costs are usually a lot lower than "Rust Repair".
      I will put my thinking cap on
      How about an M Series Fire Truck???
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Check out Studebaker truck talk forumn.

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
        John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Hello nwi-region-rat, You can always check the swap meet at the fairgrounds in South Bend May 4th and 5th. You never know what you might find! John
          John
          59 Silver Hawk
          3E12D-122-C4

Comment

Maybe some of the trucks from this auction~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...515#post639515

did not sell??? They had more then a few BIG ones there...
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I understand a retired school teacher has a t-tag '49 dump truck in the Lancaster, PA area for sale. The 245 has been replaced with a 289 and other work has been done to keep it safe, operable and legal. I know nothing else but could make inquiries if anyone is interested.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just thought of another source for some BIG Stude trucks~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...(pic-warning!)

Yes, I know it's an old thread, but if you PM Gary~
                you'll find that many of his BIG rides are still for sale...

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

there were a couple nice 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 ton trucks for sale at last years may south bend meet. well worth your time to come out next weekend. friday is the best day.
                  61 lark cruiser
                  64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Thanks guys for the welcomes....Ok, as usual I had a truck in my current fleet go down with a transmission, so a little more of my pocket change rolled down the drain....But back to my goal....I restore old railroad stuff, signals, switch stands, and right now a caboose, been moving ties and track supplies....I'm killing my daily driver truck and beating my trailer to death. I need at least a 12 foot bed, but 16 would be perfect. Hauling a few signals or a bunch of scrap, I am pushing the hell out of a half ton truck and trailer, so I figure a 1.5 ton truck would have the capacity. I really like the dump bed, I borrow a buddies landscaping Dump truck a lot to manage property in my care, so again wood sides on a dump become a dump truck to me for landscaping, tree trimming or bringing a few yards of stone. I just brought a 68 fury to life after a 32 year hibernation in a garage....Car runs like a top now. SO mechanical issues don't bother me, in fact I like the challenge to get them to start. I can spray paint and do some basic body, but I have a good friend who is a pro, and my coach. I can weld, stick and wire, I've done a VW dune buggy, floor pans, cutting the frame, tacking brackets...My work functions, not as pretty as I would like, but I am getting better. I don't mind chasing parts, and the attraction to Studebaker was the amount of NOS and repair parts available, frankly I don't see why more folks don't embrace Studebaker. I'm having a hell of a time finding a few parts for my 68 fury and total hell for my 67 chrysler 300. I remember when junk yards were like amusement parks, and now can't find anything more than 5 years old. I do recall the 80's looking with sad curiosity at Studebakers in the junk, thought some were cool little cars, larks and hawks....always hated to see old cars rust, crushed and killed off. Now everything is gone, and what is left, is way out....I don't mind an hour or two drive, but I can't afford the time or gas to take a 12 hour drive to middle nowhereville to look at a shell of a truck.....so to maybe focus here....

Studebaker 1.5 ton flat bed, hydrolic dump bed manual trans, 6 cylinder preffered, V8 or Diesel ok....any year, but leaning to what ever year is the easiest to source parts, and cheapest to keep running.

So, what year should I be collecting information on? and how much would you guys I should pay for a solid, reasonably complete truck? The more I am planning this, the more I realize that this may be my project for the year 2013.

Comment

Only slightly sidetracking the thread, I recall a recent online item about a landscaping company who's entire fleet was comprised of restored antique trucks (fitted with modern running gear). As a marketing ploy, it works.
                      Successful professionals think outside the box, whatever a box is.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Vern Edigar in Halstead, Ks is a Studebaker Truck guru. You can get hsi contact info from his website. E&V Motors
                        Kim

Comment

did you see this one ?

Comment

there are several here in virginia but that might be a bit far for you

Take care
                            George o

Comment

Thanks, looks good and a reasonable drive!

Originally posted by bison View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X