Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive

Hi Guys, HELP
    I have a 55 1/2 ton with v8 & overdrive. The overdrive works great when it is cold. When it gets hot the overdrive free wheels but will not go into overdrive. When it cools down it
    works again. Ideas???
    Lew

Assuming it's all original (the OD setup), I'd be thinking a loose or broken wire in the solenoid or the relay coil. When it heats up, everything "grows" a bit and some thing - be it a winding or a termination is losing contact due to the swelling. Even the kickdown switch isn't immune to the effects of heating. Ignition coils can suffer the same fate - run cold, get hot, quit![}]
    Recheck all the connections you can SEE. The four connections to the relay on the firewall (and remove the fuse, clean it's ends and clean INSIDE the little fingers it clips into on the relay). Also check the connections on the solenoid and the reverse lockout switch and governor AND kickdown switch. If all these look secure, THEN start thinking about internal problems in the component parts.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Assuming it's all original (the OD setup), I'd be thinking a loose or broken wire in the solenoid or the relay coil. When it heats up, everything "grows" a bit and some thing - be it a winding or a termination is losing contact due to the swelling. Even the kickdown switch isn't immune to the effects of heating. Ignition coils can suffer the same fate - run cold, get hot, quit![}]
      Recheck all the connections you can SEE. The four connections to the relay on the firewall (and remove the fuse, clean it's ends and clean INSIDE the little fingers it clips into on the relay). Also check the connections on the solenoid and the reverse lockout switch and governor AND kickdown switch. If all these look secure, THEN start thinking about internal problems in the component parts.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr biggs. I will start looking.
        Lew

Comment

Thanks Mr biggs. I will start looking.
          Lew

Comment

I had this problem I determined it was the relay when it got hot it would not send enough current to the solenoid. Fifth Avenue Antique Car Parts sells a new relay that is good for both 6 and 12 volt.

Comment

I had this problem I determined it was the relay when it got hot it would not send enough current to the solenoid. Fifth Avenue Antique Car Parts sells a new relay that is good for both 6 and 12 volt.

Comment

I'm not much in to betting, but if I were, I say replace the glass fuss, while doing the things Mr.Biggs said.
                Good Luck Lew, Or just bring it to me when you come down this winter, I'll only charge you ONE black Lark for the work. (Grin)
                Ebon...

Comment

I'm not much in to betting, but if I were, I say replace the glass fuss, while doing the things Mr.Biggs said.
                  Good Luck Lew, Or just bring it to me when you come down this winter, I'll only charge you ONE black Lark for the work. (Grin)
                  Ebon...

Comment

Len, If that relay works (clicks) - hot AND cold - then in either case it should conduct enough "juice" to operate the solenoid. Like I said tho, it CAN be a case of the relay windings opening up once warm (and my instincts tell me that this is LESS likely something that would occur with the relay than inside the solenoid)and thereby allowing the contacts to open up and not conduct the current to the solenoid.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Len, If that relay works (clicks) - hot AND cold - then in either case it should conduct enough "juice" to operate the solenoid. Like I said tho, it CAN be a case of the relay windings opening up once warm (and my instincts tell me that this is LESS likely something that would occur with the relay than inside the solenoid)and thereby allowing the contacts to open up and not conduct the current to the solenoid.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Regarding my OD problem I connected a test light to the solenoid terminal of the relay when I grounded the switch the relay would click and the test light would light but the solenoid would not click. I then ran power directly from the battery to the solenoid terminal of the relay and the solenoid activated. Time will tell if this solved the problem.

Comment

Regarding my OD problem I connected a test light to the solenoid terminal of the relay when I grounded the switch the relay would click and the test light would light but the solenoid would not click. I then ran power directly from the battery to the solenoid terminal of the relay and the solenoid activated. Time will tell if this solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X