Pop Quiz: Was the 1957 Scotsman all that "cheap?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: Was the 1957 Scotsman all that "cheap?"

RE: The 1957 Studebaker Champion Scotsman (that was the name when introduced, although the "Champion" descriptor got dumped early-on):

The Scotsman was noted for being a no-frills car, of course, and justifiably so.

However, its base price included one item of standard equipment that was optional at extra cost(!) on even a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air or 1957 Ford Fairlane 500!

Pop Quiz question: What was standard at no extra cost on a 1957 Studebaker Champion Scotsman that would have cost you an additional $60-$80 on a typical 1957 Chevrolet or Ford?

The first person to post the correct answer wins their choice of:

1. Two NOS period Studebaker Red Ball Letterhead envelopes (unused),

OR

2. One copy of the 1962 Lark Daytona Pace Car mailer I just had reprinted.

(Previous Pop Quiz winners: Please refrain from answering to give others a chance. Thanks.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Overdrive?
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

A 185cu.in. flathead six?
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

a spare tire?
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I'll say TT rear end. "to late,but my first choice would be overdrive"
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
            Overdrive?
            That would be my guess as well.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Bob, that would be a heater
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

automatic chock
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Electric windshield wipers
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                    Bob, that would be a heater
                    BINGO! Eric has it.

A recirculating-air heater/defroster was standard equipment on the Scotsman. It wasn't as good or as effective as a "regular" Studebaker Climatizer, but it was a legitimate heater/defroster.

It is properly identified as a recirculating-air heater/defroster because it has no provision for introducing fresh air to the car's interior; it only "recirculates" that which is already in the car, warming it up in the process and/or blowing it out the defroster ducts. But it does work, and functions "as advertised."

A cheap recirculating-air heater/defroster was an extra-cost option on 1957 Chevrolets for sure, and probably 1957 Fords (in addition to Ford's Magic-Aire unit). Of course, most of those buyers opted for the more common, more expensive fresh-air heater/defroster.

But they had to pay extra for even the "cheapie," whereas as the Studebaker Scotsman customer did not!

Envelopes or Pace Car Mailer, Eric? BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, i'll take the pace car mailer! Wow, this is like winning the lottery!
                      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I was gone all day and didn't see this until this evening. Rats, I could have given you the answer.
                        When I was in college one of my class mates bought a Scotsman (don't remember if it was a two-door or four door). It had no options, but did have the heater. It had only one sun visor. He wanted the right hand one so he bought one somewhere and went to install it. There were no apparent pre-drilled holes so he took his electric drill and put it up to the place where it should go. Pulled the trigger on the drill and the headliner material wrapped around the drill bit pulling a good chunk of the heaadliner clear off.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I politely call " BS" Bob. The exhaust created more heat...............

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            A recirculating-air heater/defroster was standard equipment on the Scotsman. It wasn't as good or as effective as a "regular" Studebaker Climatizer, but it was a legitimate heater/defroster.
                            So were turn signals on a Scotsman. Were they standard or optional on a cheapie Chev or Ford?

(Being a previous winner, I don't qualify, but I don't have the book on Chev or Ford to give me an answer.)

Craig

Comment

Electric windshield wipers. Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X