Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I walk in the woods this strange thing is sitting there looking at me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I walk in the woods this strange thing is sitting there looking at me.

Today when I was with Steve getting pictures of the 1964 press camera wagon off in the edge of the woods was this thing sitting there looking back at me so I went over and got some pictures of it, it is also for sale but price has not been set yet, still in rather nice shape except the windshield got shot about 10 times with a B-B gun and the 2 side windows got broken, Interested??????

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

All flat glass that is easily replaced.
    That Zip Van looks real decent!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I had windows stolen out of my Zip Van when it was stored. Obviously, there was a VERY small group of individuals with a need for those windows, but I couldn't prove who the thief was. The worst part was that they cut the rubber to get the windows out. Getting new rubber window mouldings for a Zip Van was not easy.
      IIRC, a Zip Van has a sun band at the top of the windshield. It is not simply a piece of flat glass. Also, it is a windshield not side glass (different glass). It is also huge, as far as flat windshield glass goes.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cute little bugger. I have a good 1963 170 engine for it but I cant justify the expense of having that Zip van hauled here. Would be nice to see it put back to some kind of use but in reality, it probably isnt practical for anything.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

We have NOS Zip Van glass in stock at SI.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Cute little bugger. I have a good 1963 170 engine for it but I cant justify the expense of having that Zip van hauled here. Would be nice to see it put back to some kind of use but in reality, it probably isnt practical for anything.
            I still want one to actually deliver my mail route with. Like you, I have an engine- freshly rebuilt 170. But also like you, I am finding it hard to justify it with the $1500 shipping it would cost me. I know I could trust Bob to give an accurate report of the condition, but unless it's free or close to it I can't figure how to make it workable.

Bob, just for conversation's sake, how do the interior and floors look? And, how complete?
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, they are good but it does need a full restoration, the original engine is there but tired with a bad cyl or two.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

$100 van, $2000 tow. $2000 Van, $100 tow. ?? Location is everything Bob You are the one always saying that. So-where is it?

FYI, zips do not rust on the floors, they rust at the roof seams, fender seams, side rails and places pics do not show. I have seen several and passed on all of them. This one here is a very LATE one.
                Last edited by (S); 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I had a friend a few years back that had a Postal van the same size with right hand drive and weak front springs I'd go into a curve and see the ditch along side me and feel it leaning and it was a little denevereing to say the least. "lol"

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    $100 van, $2000 tow. $2000 Van, $100 tow. ?? Location is everything Bob You are the one always saying that. So-where is it?

FYI, zips do not rust on the floors, they rust at the roof seams, fender seams, side rails and places pics do not show. I have seen several and passed on all of them. This one here is a very LATE one.
                    Says right under my name- Parish, Central NY. I think that's what you meant?

Thanks, Bob. How did the areas Mike mentioned look? For others too, not just me...
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob A. There was a restored one that originally came from California on the Clevland Craigslist just 2 weeks ago for $3000. I assumed that you would get that one, being close to you, but apparently you didn't and it's gone now.
                      \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                      \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
                        Bob A. There was a restored one that originally came from California on the Clevland Craigslist just 2 weeks ago for $3000. I assumed that you would get that one, being close to you, but apparently you didn't and it's gone now.
                        I used to watch CL pretty close when the Jaxed site would show all CL ads with just a Studebaker search. Since they are no longer allowed to include CL directly I have not figured out an efficient way to follow all of CL, and it's too cumbersome to search all the areas/cities individually, so I just gave up on it.

Had I seen the one you're mentioning I definitely would have been interested- it's within reasonable driving distance for me. I wish you would have mentioned it here.

If you come across it again, please do let us know.
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Try this , it works for me. If you get a bunch of advertisements ,refresh.
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                            That windshield is huge. The cost of a new one plus shipping would be helpful to someone negotiating a purchase price of the vehicle.
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              You do Chris? I put the part numbers into the search function on the S.I. site & came up empty. Mine needs all the glass but the windshield in the most important need now.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X