alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator

my buddy and i worked on my car a bit this a.m. and it starts and runs with a battery in it, but we figured out that the alternator is shot.
    i have the number that was written on it:
    1102778 5c 1

i've been looking online to get a replacement, but probably am typing in the wrong thing or something like that. how do i know how many amps i want and what i want?

other than that, she's purring like a kitten.

another thing...my uncle told me that it uses a 6volt battery, does it matter if we hook up a 12volt to it or not? i'm guessing it'll wear something out or overheat the alternator maybe, right?

(remember, i'm new to learning about cars! be patient with me and speak in very simple, explainable terms )

Lauren

Since you have a '55 Commander you most likely have a generator rather than an alternator (unless someone made that change before you bought the car). They both serve to generate electricity just work somewhat differently. Studebaker started using alternators in '63 and I believe most manufacturers changed about the same time. Anyway, your car came with a 6V positive ground system, again unless someone changed that (Studebaker switched over its complete lineup to 12V negative ground in '56 but some of the larger trucks made the jump in '55). Unless you switch your car over to 12V negative ground DO NOT hook up a 12V battery or you will fry a lot of things such as the lights, radio, etc. Probably picking up a good 6V battery would be the best solution until you decide if you want to make any changes.

6V alternators are available, but you probably can get a good used or even have your 6V generator fixed pretty easily as most auto electric repair places.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

my buddy and i worked on my car a bit this a.m. and it starts and runs with a battery in it, but we figured out that the alternator is shot.
      i have the number that was written on it:
      1102778 5c 1

i've been looking online to get a replacement, but probably am typing in the wrong thing or something like that. how do i know how many amps i want and what i want?

other than that, she's purring like a kitten.

another thing...my uncle told me that it uses a 6volt battery, does it matter if we hook up a 12volt to it or not? i'm guessing it'll wear something out or overheat the alternator maybe, right?

(remember, i'm new to learning about cars! be patient with me and speak in very simple, explainable terms )

Lauren
      Lauren, it's usually considered good form to post the year and model of the car involved when asking a question of this nature. I went back and read a prior post of yours and determined it's a '55 Commander.

In '55, cars didn't have alternators; they had generators. Both alternators and generators generate electricity, but they vary in their internal construction, and in how they are controlled.

First order of business is to ensure that your battery is properly connected, with the POSITIVE post going to ground. All six volt civilian Studebakers used positive ground electrics. All 12 volt cars and trucks used 12 volts, so it's entirely possible that a person not used to six volt cars would innocently install the battery backwards.

Once the battery is properly connected, the next step would be to polarize the generator (aka "flash the field"). This involves zapping the generator field with a jolt of juice, which leaves some residual magnetism in the pole pieces with the right orientation to allow the generator to self-start with the correct polarity. Now, depending on the wiring scheme used in your particular generator, this can be done either by briefly connecting the field (small stud) terminal of the generator to the negative battery post, or to the positive battery post, and without having the wiring diagram in front of me, I can't say which. But here's the fun part: if you do it wrong, you don't hurt anything; when you try it the other way next time, it's good again.

All you do is connect a piece of ordinary wire to the battery post, and scratch the other end a couple of times on the field stud of the generator. Then start the car, and see if it charges when you rev the engine a bit. It's normal for generator-equipped cars to show a slight discharge at idle, BTW. If it won't charge, shut down, and try the field flashing trick using the other battery terminal, and then try starting the car once more to see if it charges. This real easy to do, I could do it in about 1/4 of the time it took me to type this.

If flashing the field doesn't get the generator working, its brushes could be worn, or hung up, or the voltage regulator could be bad. There's ways to deal with those troubles, too, but I have to be brief right now.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

thanks for the help guys.
        and i'll repost the name/type of car i have everytime i post now

Comment

What typr of battery was in the car,6 V or 12V? It must have one or the other.

Comment

6V

Comment

Curt you forgot about the wacky 8V batteries that are out there!

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Fifth Avenue in Clay Center,KS sell 6 V alternators. Don I did forget abou 8 volt batteries.

Comment

Another option for 6V alternators: http://www.alternatorparts.com/

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

i just install a 6 volt 1 wire altnetor it work great on my 55 prez coup
                    quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Since you have a '55 Commander you most likely have a generator rather than an alternator (unless someone made that change before you bought the car). They both serve to generate electricity just work somewhat differently. Studebaker started using alternators in '63 and I believe most manufacturers changed about the same time. Anyway, your car came with a 6V positive ground system, again unless someone changed that (Studebaker switched over its complete lineup to 12V negative ground in '56 but some of the larger trucks made the jump in '55). Unless you switch your car over to 12V negative ground DO NOT hook up a 12V battery or you will fry a lot of things such as the lights, radio, etc. Probably picking up a good 6V battery would be the best solution until you decide if you want to make any changes.

6V alternators are available, but you probably can get a good used or even have your 6V generator fixed pretty easily as most auto electric repair places.

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X