What lies beneath the seats..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What lies beneath the seats..?

Most of us have brought a new old Stude (or brand X) home and in the course of cleaning up or restoring, we've found interesting stuff in the seat cracks or under them. I'd suppose a pre-war Stude would have cool change like buffalo nickles and Indian head cents. My recent purchase of a '63 Daytona had six dimes and 39 pennies, a bic lighter and gum wrappers.

What's been the most interesting thing you've found?

Western Washington, USA

Jimmy Hoffa !

Actually, in my 1962 Dodge Lancer, I found two Ben Franklin half dollars mixed in with the small changeand old candy wrappers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Jimmy Hoffa !

Actually, in my 1962 Dodge Lancer, I found two Ben Franklin half dollars mixed in with the small changeand old candy wrappers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

In my '63 Avanti I found a Goldwater for President button in the defroster vent.
        Rob

Comment

In my '63 Avanti I found a Goldwater for President button in the defroster vent.
          Rob

Comment

I found a beer bottle inside the passengers rear door on my 63 Lark. Surely it didnt leave the factory like that..lol

Comment

I found a beer bottle inside the passengers rear door on my 63 Lark. Surely it didnt leave the factory like that..lol

Comment

I bought my '54 1n 1996. It had been in storage since 1966. I found a 1941 Mercury dime stuffed into the front seat cushion, and a 1956 wheat penny on the frame rail near the brake light switch. No large roll of big bills, though. Under the front seat were some S&H Green stamps, and some little 1/2 rubber booties with snaps that a woman would have worn in the rain over the front parts of her high heels. When I showed these to some women I work with, they were quite amused by them.

There was also a 45 RPM record under the front seat. The song title and artist escape me right now because they were obscure. A bunch of other miscellaneous stuff too. These discoveries are part of the fun of buying an old car.

Comment

I bought my '54 1n 1996. It had been in storage since 1966. I found a 1941 Mercury dime stuffed into the front seat cushion, and a 1956 wheat penny on the frame rail near the brake light switch. No large roll of big bills, though. Under the front seat were some S&H Green stamps, and some little 1/2 rubber booties with snaps that a woman would have worn in the rain over the front parts of her high heels. When I showed these to some women I work with, they were quite amused by them.

There was also a 45 RPM record under the front seat. The song title and artist escape me right now because they were obscure. A bunch of other miscellaneous stuff too. These discoveries are part of the fun of buying an old car.

Comment

You know, most of my cars have been already thoroughly picked over before I get them. I did find this tag under the seat of one of my Station wagons last year:

In fact, I started a very similar thread to this due to the find.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    Lotsa Larks!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You know, most of my cars have been already thoroughly picked over before I get them. I did find this tag under the seat of one of my Station wagons last year:

In fact, I started a very similar thread to this due to the find.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I can't remember what was in which car (too many Studes have gone thru my hands thru the years!), but I've found old credit car receipts, repair receipts, matchbooks, tools, soda bottles, jewelry and coins.
                        I've told (too many times already) about finding the copy of the South Bend Tribune under the front carpets - with the body bolts literally run thru it as if to insure it would always be there![)]
                        In this 58 Provincial that I got via Dick Steinkamp, under the rear seat there was a wad of dum-dum sealer with something odd-looking sticking out of it. I dug it out - cleaned the gooey sealer off it and it turned out to be a itty-bitty Lark grille from a promotional model 60 Lark! I recognized it as such because I HAVE one of those promo models on my desk.
                        Since the Provincial was ordered new, by a gal who worked at a Studebaker dealer, it's not too much of a stretch to figure how such an item found it's way under the seat of the wagon!

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can't remember what was in which car (too many Studes have gone thru my hands thru the years!), but I've found old credit car receipts, repair receipts, matchbooks, tools, soda bottles, jewelry and coins.
                          I've told (too many times already) about finding the copy of the South Bend Tribune under the front carpets - with the body bolts literally run thru it as if to insure it would always be there![)]
                          In this 58 Provincial that I got via Dick Steinkamp, under the rear seat there was a wad of dum-dum sealer with something odd-looking sticking out of it. I dug it out - cleaned the gooey sealer off it and it turned out to be a itty-bitty Lark grille from a promotional model 60 Lark! I recognized it as such because I HAVE one of those promo models on my desk.
                          Since the Provincial was ordered new, by a gal who worked at a Studebaker dealer, it's not too much of a stretch to figure how such an item found it's way under the seat of the wagon!

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I pulled the front carpet in my not yet one year old GT and found a sandwich and candy bar wrapper from a line workers snack break in my Hawk.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            64 GT R2
                            63 GT R2
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I pulled the front carpet in my not yet one year old GT and found a sandwich and candy bar wrapper from a line workers snack break in my Hawk.

JDP/Maryland
                              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                              64 GT R2
                              63 GT R2
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              59 3E truck
                              58 Starlight
                              52 & 53 Starliner
                              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...