Recommended carpet glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Recommended carpet glue

I'm going to be taking the carpet out of the project Avanti to wash it and when I put it back what kind of adhesive should I look for? Anything in particular work best for you? This carpet is REALLY glued!

3M super trim adheasive. NAPA, paint stores, FLAPS.....

Be carefull while spraying, this stuff can shoot small, sticky things that will float in the air and stick to paint, glass and places you may not want it. If it does, let it dry and roll it off with your finger. Avoid it ever touching fresh paint. It is also very volitile, have fresh air in there.

Comment

I've always installed the floor carpets with #6 chrome screws and trim washers, same as the factory used. I've removed carpets that have been glued in. You can't avoid destroying them - what a mess. For carpets glued to the side panels and tunnel, I use a standard high temp. contact cement - LePages brush-able.

Comment

I agree with WCP. My carpet from S.I. was a loose fit. Had to lift it a few times: leaking heater control valve, seat belt install. Just kept in by gravity and the screws holding the door sills down. Good luck.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I used carpet tape from Home Depot. Worked well and I can remove it if I like. The glue I tried is more permanent and make a mess when I wanted to pull it up.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Tom,
            If the carpet is in good shape...just needing cleaning...I'd sure try to clean it in place. You can rent a carpet cleaner machine from many grocery stores and rental stores. They generally come with a hand wand attachment for cleaning upholstery and carpeted stairs.

If the carpet and pad are currently glued down, you will most likely ruin at least a portion of the carpet and much of the pad removing them.

BTW, LOVE your avatar!
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Guys! All great advice to help me decide.
              Got my box from Eastwood with insulation, so the carpet has to come up and it sounds like I'll be needing a new one when the pulling is done. Another, what $300..?
              Nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti, right? :-)

Comment

Working...
              X