Wagonaire - cleaned up engine compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire - cleaned up engine compartment

I pulled the motor and trans last week. I finished detailing the engine compartment and front suspension/steering...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

That's just silly pretty.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Geez! You'd lavish THAT kind of effort on a stodgy ol' station wagon???
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Clean enough to eat off of!!! I'd hate to hide all that shiny paint with an engine and accessories!!
        Lew Schucart
        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Dick

A lot of folks won't take the time and effort to do that but it really makes the whole package so much nicer. A pleasure to raise the hood to show the engine.

Well done, Bob

Comment

When Pat had the car painted, the engine compartment was done base/clear along with the rest of the car, so I had the relatively easy part of degreasing the suspension and painting it.

Besides being a wheel and tire snob, I'm an engine compartment snob so I really didn't have a choice .

IMHO, the engine compartment is #3 behind body and paint and interior in terms of cosmetic importance to most car guys.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

That's just beautiful. I think engine compartment is probably #2 on my list. Exterior would be #1, and interior is #3.
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Looks great.

Denny L

Comment

Note the two "extra" hose holes in the fire wall surrounded by black putty near the stock heater hose holes. This car had aftermarket AC on it. It looks like a 70's under dash unit to me. It has a Sanden compressor and a neat, HD bracket for it. I haven't decided if I will re-install it or not.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ask yourself that in July <g>
                    .....nice job
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      Note the two "extra" hose holes in the fire wall surrounded by black putty near the stock heater hose holes. This car had aftermarket AC on it. It looks like a 70's under dash unit to me. It has a Sanden compressor and a neat, HD bracket for it. I haven't decided if I will re-install it or not.
                      I know you don't believe that you need a/c where you are, but with global warming...
                      Actually, since you have the unit, you might consider that when you get tired of the car, the a/c should enhance the value.
                      When can I bring my tired Wagonaire for you to do your magic?
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Dick,

On that brake booster and master.... Is that a stock stude booster for drum brakes with some aftermarket master on it? If so, what is it and maybe you mentioned in a prior post this car had a turner disk conversion?

The booster looks like the '62 lark drum booster I have in my '53 except rotated with the vaccum line at the top instead of the bottom.

thx

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          Actually, since you have the unit, you might consider that when you get tired of the car, the a/c should enhance the value.
                          You're right. I know I will sell it at some point...I always do. I don't even fool myself anymore and tell myself "THIS one is a keeper."
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                            Dick,

On that brake booster and master.... Is that a stock stude booster for drum brakes with some aftermarket master on it? If so, what is it and maybe you mentioned in a prior post this car had a turner disk conversion?

The booster looks like the '62 lark drum booster I have in my '53 except rotated with the vaccum line at the top instead of the bottom.

thx
                            The car does have a Turner conversion. It was originally a power drum brake car.

I don't know for sure what the booster and MC are from. The booster does look like a Lark unit. It can be clocked 180 degrees from where it is now, and that would put the vacuum line at the bottom like stock. The MC looks GM to me, but I'll cross the numbers to find out for sure.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Beautiful engine compartment and suspension. Regarding the air conditioning, 53k is right, a functioning and clean a/c unit will enhance the resale.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X