PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Silver Hawk on eBay

black9fourfour
04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Interesting to see what this car will fetch. My car is almost identical and picture of this car were what motivated me to paint mine red.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Silver-Hawk-/280865835820?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

SHAUN

Marie Mac
04-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I saw this and think it's sharp...what's the deal with all the different (not original) stuff used in the car?...I'm asking because I am wondering about the difference between one like this and others...would this be closer to a new car?.....thanks

52-fan
04-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Really sharp car. Even though I don't like everything the builder did, I like the fact that there seems to be a unified theme that pulls it all together. The pictures illustrate out why it's a bad idea to take pictures of a car in tall grass though.

studegary
04-22-2012, 04:04 PM
It is bid to $25.6K and the reserve has not been met (amazing!).

black9fourfour
04-23-2012, 12:29 PM
My wonder is if his aftermarket engine would bring higher value, or an original 289 in the exact same condition?

SHAUN

prez55
04-23-2012, 06:34 PM
As sad as it is to admit there are just a few more chevy fans than Studebaker.

jnormanh
04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
The workmanship looks to be first class. Cosmetics virtually flawless. and one assumes the mechanicals are just as good. Big price for a Chevy/Hawk, but a very, very nice car.

jnormanh
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
My wonder is if his aftermarket engine would bring higher value, or an original 289 in the exact same condition?

SHAUN

Usually cars restored to original are thought to be worth more than modified cars, all else being equal. This car is seems to be one that proves that theory wrong. It looks to be a very well done, but modified, '59 SH. Right now there is, on eBay, what appears to be a well done, virtually as original '56 GH. Certainly a GH is worth more than a SH in equal condition, but this modified SH is bringing more money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully-restored-Beautiful-Golden-Hawk-/170828927103?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c632907f

studegary
04-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Usually cars restored to original are thought to be worth more than modified cars, all else being equal. This car is seems to be one that proves that theory wrong. It looks to be a very well done, but modified, '59 SH. Right now there is, on eBay, what appears to be a well done, virtually as original '56 GH. Certainly a GH is worth more than a SH in equal condition, but this modified SH is bringing more money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully-restored-Beautiful-Golden-Hawk-/170828927103?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c632907f

Not totally or "virtually as original" with two four barrel carb's.
It bothers me when a business (Dream Car Autohaus) has a brief description and does NOT proofread it. Ex's.: "...that tuns out...", "...a toop speed...", downt the road...", ''...the owners manual...".

jnormanh
04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Not totally or "virtually as original" with two four barrel carb's.

I was comparing it to the wrong drivetrain, wrong interior SH. Yes, I saw the 2-carbs which *could* be called a "dealer installed option/modification", or it could easily be converted back to a single carb. I'm no GH expert. but the rest of the car looks as original to me. When I say "as original", I don't necessarily mean every factory-correct date-coded heater hose and chalk mark. It isn't a Corvette.