Small world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small world

I took the Stude to get lunch and came across a car show, so I pulled in, parked, and stayed a few hours. At one point a guy was taking pictures of his 6-7 year old kid with the truck, so I started talking to them. The guy says that he was from South Bend, so we talked Studes for a while. He said, "Are you active in the Stude club?" I told him that I was. He says, "Well, maybe you know my uncle. Ever met a guy named Ed Reynolds?"

Just goes to show that you never know who you'll meet.

Had a pretty good time. It was fun watching all the little kids looking at cars, being oh-so-careful to not touch them. Kids love a fire truck, and I had just as much as they did letting them sit in it and put they're hands on it. I'm going to make a sign that says "Go ahead and touch it."
    Last edited by mbstude; 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    Had a pretty good time. It was fun watching all the little kids looking at cars, being oh-so-careful to not touch them. Kids love a fire truck, and I had just as much as they did letting them sit in it and put they're hands on it. I'm going to make a sign that says "Go ahead and touch it."
    Well said, Matt. When I have the Silver Hawk out, I prefer the kids (and adults for that matter) do not touch. But it's a whole other issue when I take out my Land Rover, I have a blast at the reactions of the people that I invite to try it out for size by sitting behind the wheel. The kids love army trucks too. They also love the view out the open vent flaps under the windscreen. Nice to hear that you are enjoying your new truck.

Comment

I took the Stude to get lunch and came across a car show, so I pulled in, parked, and stayed a few hours. At one point a guy was taking pictures of his 6-7 year old kid with the truck, so I started talking to them. The guy says that he was from South Bend, so we talked Studes for a while. He said, "Are you active in the Stude club?" I told him that I was. He says, "Well, maybe you know my uncle. Ever met a guy named Ed Reynolds?"

Just goes to show that you never know who you'll meet.

That reminds me of a story that happened about 25 years ago
      My nephew, David Thornton, took a part time job at Delta Airilnes. His boss was a young man named Tom Elliot. One day David noticed Tom wearing a Studebaker hat. He said "My Uncle lives in south Ga. and has a bunch of Studebakers." Tom noticed David's name badge and said "I'll bet your uncle Is Neil Thornton." He was right.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
        That reminds me of a story that happened about 25 years ago
        My nephew, David Thornton, took a part time job at Delta Airilnes. His boss was a young man named Tom Elliot. One day David noticed Tom wearing a Studebaker hat. He said "My Uncle lives in south Ga. and has a bunch of Studebakers." Tom noticed David's name badge and said "I'll bet your uncle Is Neil Thornton." He was right.
        Wow, Neil; the Tom Elliot? Now that is a small world! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Wow, Neil; the Tom Elliot? Now that is a small world! BP
          Yes, Prior to forming the So.Ga. Chapter in 1993 our nearest local chapters were No.Ga. and Orlando. We were members of both. Edie and I have known the long timers of No.Ga. since the 80's. Tom was 1 of them.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

This reminds me of something that happened to my brother a few weeks ago. A man came in to the O'Reilly store where he works and Studebakers came up.(How did that happen?) The man says that his sister used to have matching 63 Hawks. Joe replied " You must mean Twilla". The man's mouth fell open because he couldn't believe Joe knew his sister. Twilla Lawson was one of the founders of the old Little Rock chapter.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Years ago a friend of mine had a 1933 Packard which we exercised every weekend. On one such occasion we had stopped to do some shopping and came out of the store to find a man and young boy (about 10 yo) looking at the car. Turned out that the boy was blind and his father was trying to describe the car to him. The father asked if his son could touch the car and we were happy to say yes. Even though he was blind, the boy was apparently quite a car enthusiast and knew of Packard, but had never had the opportunity to touch one. His smile as he ran his hands over the car was well worth the time it took.

Terry

Comment

In 1985 I was leaning on my quarter panel while filling up my Avanti with gas. I heard someone ask me " You probably do not remember me" When I turned I saw Tom Kellogg standing there. I told him that yes I do recognize him as we had met the previous year at the La Palma Show. He mentioned that he had some designers from Porsche at his house and could I do him a favor and drive to his house to show them the Avanti. So off we went, at his house he had everyone come outside and Tom walked around the car explaining certain details to them.
                One of the deigners was driving a 57 Plymouth and had just returned to the states, he and Tom were associates for a time. His name is Freeman Thomas and he is credited for his work on the new Beetle, Audi TT, Audi A6 and many other designs. He has worked for Porsche, Audi, Chrysler and now Ford.

The New Beetle had Tom Kellogg inspiration in it as Tom had done renderings before designers May and Thomas actually did the final design. Tom went on to become a dear friend and as he would say. "It's Cosmic"

Bob Caser
                mrbobinc

Comment

If you don't want people to look at or touch your vehicle DONT DISPLAY IT ! We have guys in our club that are paranoid about their

cars.Me I can't understand it.

They are after all just cars & were meant to be admired.I have yet to have a car damaged at a meet & I have been doing it for 30+ years.

There was a fellow at a international meet a while back with a Packard Hawk that was a strong #3 but not a show winner,when he

arrived he put up a velvet rope around the car at a 4 foot distance so no one could get near.Give me a break !
                  Last edited by kmul221; 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I took my R2 Hawk to a show last year. It had a sign explaining the car, its history and how RARE it is.

It also said, "the door is open, you may sit in it and play with the steering wheel and shifter"

Comment

I agree with most folks in the mini-derailment going on. Cars are meant to be touched. There's really not much a kid or curious adult can do to a car that you can't fix with a disenfecting wipe.

Now, semi-realted to the topic at hand, a few years ago I popped by an auction in northern Minnesota because a pretty decent Lark was being auctioned, and it wasn't really advertised heavily, so I thought maybe I could get a good deal. As fate turned out, despite the almost non-existant advertising, I bumped into three different Studebaker owners I knew in the area. It was actually fun, because we talked about bidding each other way up on the car, "maybe up to a couple thousand" (It wasn't in THAT great of condition, though it ran.) Then all of our minds were blown when the car sold for something like 9,000 to a person none of us knew. It just goes to show, your car is worth what someone else will pay for it.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

On the "small world" front, It is funny and sometimes amazing how small the big earth can be, especially when you have a common interest, like a particularcar or hobby.

Not on a world scale, but the other day I was at a store and a guy started checking out my truck, I always try to talk to interested folks, and after a few minutes he says "I have a neighbor down the street that has bulletnose he is building" I said where are you from, we were in Elsinore, and he says Murrieta...I said is the bulletnose Dean's? He was shocked that I knew who Dean was, but Stude's are a pretty small world.

Then just this last friday night at a wedding rehearsal for a friend, her uncle saw my truck and told me a story of a "beautiful" President up in the Hood River Oregon area. I said I bet I can find out who's it is. Sure enough I post a thread and Mike G (S) post a pic of the guys car and says he knows him...I print the pic and the next day at the wedding I show it to the visiting uncle and he says "Yep, thats it". I love that stuff.

On the "do not touch" idea. I get people that have a rare car and a TON of money into it not wanting people to lean up against it or lay over the fender to look at the carb while they are wearing a belt buckle. But most people are respectful and most cars are not that special or that invested in. That is one thing I love about having an old ratty truck. People still like it and you can't really hurt it. I have already taken people and kids for rides. All of the kids on my street were sitting in it the other day pretending to drive it, like 6 of them taking turns "driving" the old truck. It was pretty cute. A couple of them like to hang out and watch me work on it. It doesn't bother me at all unless I am trying to weld stuff, gotta be careful. I even try to find little things for them do to help me.
                        There is a verse in Proverbs 22:6 that says "train up a boy according to the way for him, even when he grows old he will not turn away"....it applies to all things in life. I try to train the kids to like older things and mechanical things and show them how they work, maybe some of them will be able to fix things with their hands later in life.

{NOT refering to the verse as a preaching statement, merely as an interesting thought that can be applied to much of life}

Comment

Working...
                        X