upgrading my bakes on 52 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading my bakes on 52 champion

I 'm upgrading my rear brakes in by 52 champion to 10" V8 drums. I not sure what to do about the parking braking? What do I keed to reconnect the parking brake cable at the backer plate? Will getting a new rear cable fix my problem?

The correct rear cable SHOULD do it, I have not done this but I do know that IF the splitter yoke/adjustment boomerang shaped thing is in the same place on '54's as on your '52 it should work.

If you have not yet changed the front brakes you may experience rear lockup.

Those are a little harder to do, because the front spindles have to be changed to accept the smaller wheel bearings on '56-'66 drums.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Those are a little harder to do, because the front spindles have to be changed to accept the smaller wheel bearings on '56-'66 drums.
      I put 63 Lark brakes on the front of my 52 Commander and the smaller 63 wheel bearings fit the spindles. I haven't experienced any problems. I think the inside dimension of the bearings is the same.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks for all the infor. I have the 11" finned brake on the front. The 11" finned brake just bolted on. The only thing I noticed was the car seemed to nose dive more with the bigger drums. Hopefully putting the 10" rear finned drums on the back will level the car better during braking. If any know a part number for the rear parking brake cable please me know. It looks like the cable bolts in to the backer plate

Comment

Working...
        X