Getting back into the groove.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into the groove.

Since getting the '53 tagged on Monday, I've not touched my F150. I've already put close to 150 miles on the Stude within a week. Current mileage is almost 13,900. It just feels "right" driving a Studebaker truck everyday. Takes me back to the best part of High School for me.. Driving the '59 pickup.

Horn honks, thumbs ups, people screaming out of their cars, asking me about mine. Even had a few people follow me to wherever I was going to stop and ask about it. Anytime I stop, it takes forever to leave. Guess I've been lucky, it's started up more conversations with young chicks than old men. <grin>

You've "been lucky" thru all the years I've known you, pal.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just be careful Matt, and remember your last altercation involving a Studebaker pickup and a young chick!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        Guess I've been lucky, it's started up more conversations with young chicks than old men. <grin>
        Trade you even up for the 40 right now. lol
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I take it you don't like old men??? I resemble that remark, young man.

Comment

Mathew ..
            That road looks awfully familiar ! Douglasville to Peachtree City most every day..
            Ben

Comment

I am jealous. Just be careful with the ladies though. One day, one of them will want to bring you home with them. When that happens, the day will come when you'll want to work on cars and she'll want to talk about feelings. The thing about women is that they have a way of helping "put your priorities straight"

Or, let me put it this way: There are women, hobbies, and money. Usually you only get one. Sometimes you can have two. You never have all three. You've been warned
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Get a uniform and you'll have to run 'em off.
                Jim
                Often in error, never in doubt
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                  Get a uniform and you'll have to run 'em off.
                  Referencing The Little Rascals' "Doin' Their Bit"? Or, if I'm showing my age, perhaps, more recently Gang of Four.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                    I am jealous. Just be careful with the ladies though. One day, one of them will want to bring you home with them. When that happens, the day will come when you'll want to work on cars and she'll want to talk about feelings. The thing about women is that they have a way of helping "put your priorities straight"

Or, let me put it this way: There are women, hobbies, and money. Usually you only get one. Sometimes you can have two. You never have all three. You've been warned
                    I was told a few things before I got married, and have learned and heard a few things since.

One such tidbit was, "I hear you are getting married. Here's what I want you to do:

During the first year of your marriage, place a bean into a jar each time you and your darling make love.

On your first anniversary, reverse the process... each time you make love, take a bean out of the jar.

My bet is, you will never empty the jar."

Another was, "I hear you are getting married. You won't believe this, but the day (night) will come when all you want to do is pat your darling on the rump, turn over, and go to sleep."

Today, I overheard a fellow say, "Yeah, I brought my wife with me, just because I didn't want to kiss her goodbye."

These folks, of course, have had completely different life experiences than have I.

But, they each said, "You have been warned."

Last edited by Studedude; 04-20-2012, 05:58 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Just be careful Matt, and remember your last altercation involving a Studebaker pickup and a young chick!
                      Best thing about this forum.. You guys never let me forget anything. But I guess lookin' at a cute girl while driving in the school parking lot is a lesson I should probably remember.

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      You've "been lucky" thru all the years I've known you, pal.
                      True enough, Bob. I think I could thank you for a good portion of that.

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      Trade you even up for the 40 right now. lol
                      Thanks, but I'll pass. I sorta like the truck.

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                      Mathew ..
                      That road looks awfully familiar ! Douglasville to Peachtree City most every day..
                      Ben
                      That's actually a few miles south of Fayetteville.

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                      I don't get why you "can't have all three". I know people that do. I guess for the right girl, that would be alright. But, the "right girl" would have no issues with me playing with Studes. I know some men whose wives put them on a ball and chain and don't let them do what they want. They seem to be the unhappy ones. And then there are some that not only let them have their fun with cars, but encourage it, and sometimes even join in. My grandparents are a good example of that.. My grandma has a couple of pretty nice Studebakers that are just that; hers. She "allows" my granddad to drive them. I'm sure that eventually I'll find the girl that does that for me, but I'm in no rush to find it.

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                      I was told a few things before I got married, and have learned and heard a few things since.
                      <snip>
                      These folks, of course, have had completely different life experiences than have I.
                      I've met a lot of people, and have seen all sorts of relationships. One thing I've learned; there's no reason to ''settle''.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I think the money is the part of "all three" that goes away, especially when you add kids to the mix. It's all worth it though if you don't get to missing the way it was.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, I don't have any money as it is.

Comment

Sounds like you have your head on straight Matthew. Don't believe the naysayers that say you can't have all three. I can attest that you can. Having money is the tricky one. It depends on how you define it. I think most people never feel like they have enough. I'm not a rich man but I do feel satisfied with what I have. Finding the right woman is key. Most don't get it right the first time because we become impatient. It took me three times (not something I would recommend to anyone). Divorce is a horrible thing and I would not wish it on anybody.

When the right one comes along, it's a beautiful thing. Get it wrong and you're in for a lot of pain. No pressure.........
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Glad your havin fun again with a Stude Matt. I have the same kind of experience. I have had more women wave and give me thumbs up than guys. I was at Lowe's and a pretty woman walked up when I was loading and said "Ok, so what year is it?" I say '49, she smiles really big and says "that is awesome" and waves as she walks away....I did not hate that.

As to all of the other malarchy, I have a woman {25 th anniversay coming in August, first and only wife} I have lots of hobbies, she is a VERY patient woman, and while money is tighter now being on workers comp rather than working, We are content with what we have. Like Jon, far from wealthy, but live well and are content with what we have, that is the key.

She is out there, enjoy your youth, build a good moral life for yourself, and then find a woman who wants a part of that. You will be fine.

Happy driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X