PDA

View Full Version : Truck plates

kmac530
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Last year I asked about some old license plates for my truck. That was before I got it correctly as a 1949 2R10 rather than the 1952 that it was sold to me as.
So now that all of my registration is done and he is on the road I am once again interested in getting some old plates on it rather than these white reflective plates.

In that old post I was asking for '52 truck plates and nothing really surfaced. Bob from CandB had some of the '63 and later plates but my registration guy said I can not swap to those unless the truck had them on it when I got it. He says my only option is plates marked 1949 {or the '49} in the corner.

So I thought I would ask again and see if any have popped up....
Does anyone have a set of California 1949 Commercial truck plates they would like to sell?

fpstude
04-19-2012, 11:49 PM
The plates for you to use will have a yellow background with black letters / numbers. It will have 47 stamped in the plate. You will then have to obtain an aluminum corner tag with a '49 stamped on it. They are a little larger than the plates currently in use.

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-20-2012, 02:59 AM
kmac53:
Look at "daves california license plates.com". Click on "california plates". The 4th one down on the left hand side. It shows you the plate and tag you need.
Really informative site.

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Also look at "oldpl8s.com"

BobGlasscock
04-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Here's what I did very successfully. Go to the tax office where you buy plates. Ask the clerks and the 'head' person if they know of a person who collects the un-issued plates each year. That is the person who can probably help you.

Skip Lackie
04-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Kmac - I looked in my duplicates and don't have any 47/49 Calif truck truck plates. But if you check the license plate club's site alpca.org you can might be able to find a local plate swap meet in your area. And depending on how much you're willing to invest, becoming an ALPCA member for a year would give you access to their classified ads. There are about a half dozen big plate traders/dealers that have bought up collections from others and might very well have a decent pair of 49 Calif plates. They advertise regularly. And of course, there's always ebay.

Matched pairs are sometimes hard to find. Until the advent of YOM laws, there was no reason to keep pairs together. If both plates were nice, one would be kept and the other traded off. If one was a bit beat up, the best one would be kept and the other discarded.

31Streetrod
04-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Kmac.... Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1949+california+license+plates&_sacat=0&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_odkw=west+virginia+license+plates&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

kmac530
04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the link '31....I will need those top corner tags, but I need plates like the second add....but I do NOT need them that pretty....and YIKES $500 is WAY out of my league.

glen
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Bob,

You might be able to do that in Texas, but with Kmac being in California, everything and anything, is done through the State of California, Dept of Motor Vehicles government offices who's employees are less than happy, when serving their customers, unless you get "lucky". :cool:

kmac530
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Glen,
I am fortunate to have a small independant registration company in my town. He does charge a fee for handling your registration needs, but it very fair prices to not have to deal with the DMV.
I have literally spent all day at the local DMVs only to be told oh you cant do that.....when I had just done it on another project or with a buddies project.
I am not sure about more rural counties in Cali, but in LA, Orange, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties the DMV is like an all day prostate exam with NO lube. I will glad pay my little independant shop his fee to avoid the DMV.

31Streetrod
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Kmac.....This set might be more to your liking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-California-License-Plates-1947-/150799971314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c60f3f2#ht_500wt_960

kmac530
04-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I love those plates. My only problem with them is that they are CAR plates. I have a 3/4 ton truck and it has to have Commercial plates....like these

http://www.oldpl8s.com/sell-47-com-a.jpg

You can see my dilema at $650.00.....I didn't pay that for the whole truck. I didn't pay that for an engine rebuild kit. I did not pay that for ANY single thing for my truck.

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I remember reading somewhere that commercial plates are NOT required on a truck doing YOM.
I'm looking, I'm looking.

BobGlasscock
04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
ok, this may mean the same thing in other parts of the country, but from the gist of what a couple of you said, that is not what I meant. I did NOT mean to ask the DMV for the plates. Ask them if they know what happens to the "extra", un-issued plates. Maybe a person obtains them. THAT is the person you could talk to. Here in Texas, there are people who collect the extra plates from the courthouse, and then sell them without registration. That is how we get our YOM plates. Then we go register them.

kmac530
04-20-2012, 11:36 PM
I understood what you meant Bob. I have no idea how to obtain that info though Bob. My guess is the DMV trashes them here.

kmac530
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I remember reading somewhere that commercial plates are NOT required on a truck doing YOM.
I'm looking, I'm looking.

If you can find that I would LOVE to see it. My truck is a HD 3/4 ton and I was told it HAD to have commercial plates because it is currently registered as a commercial vehicle with modern plates....but I would love to be wrong here. Prove me wrong...please. I dare you....I double DOG dare you....chicken.....kidding of course..trying to goade you into finding the info...lol

BobGlasscock
04-21-2012, 06:44 AM
kmac, I know society is different in different areas, but this is what you can try. Go into the office and look for a middle-aged lady who looks friendly, if possible. Just walk right up and say "What happens to non-issued plates? Is there somebody who gathers them from you? Who?" That's it. Mention why you are looking. Get into that Studebaker conversation that we all know about. And she will say "You know, there is a guy that does that. Let me go get his card." Easy.

Skip Lackie
04-21-2012, 07:15 AM
If you can find that I would LOVE to see it. My truck is a HD 3/4 ton and I was told it HAD to have commercial plates because it is currently registered as a commercial vehicle with modern plates....but I would love to be wrong here. Prove me wrong...please. I dare you....I double DOG dare you....chicken.....kidding of course..trying to goade you into finding the info...lol
MOST states that have a YOM law permit the optional use of YOM passenger plates on non-pass historic vehicles, due to the relative scarcity of decent pairs of old truck, taxi, etc plates. That said, I can't speak for Calif rules. Are you sure you can't get the info from the Calif DMV Website? Even if the info is not posted there, most DMV sites have a "Ask a question" link that presumably would connect you with someone in a position of authority. Most of us (no matter where we live) have had the experience of getting bum info from a desk clerk at a DMV, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that the answer you got was correct.

kmac530
04-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Skip and Bob,
Thanks a ton for your help on this. I will ask and look into it. Car plates are alot more common and better priced. I don't know why I can't use the '63 black plates since most cars got changed to those in that era. Even those would look much better than these hideous dayglow reflective white plates.

Bob, I would say that is a good idea, walking up and talking to the nicest old lady, but at least in this area of Cali, we do not get to pick who or when we talk to counter people. You walk in, wait in a long line just to check in. Then you get a number and sit down in a cattle pen. Then someone calls your number and you go to that window. That person gives you papers to fill out. You go sit down in the cattle pen and fill them out. Wait in another line to turn them in. Then you get another number and EVENTUALLY called to yet another window who often says you have the wrong paper work and you get to start over again....only to finally be told that your first papers were correct and you need a manager. 4-8 hous into the day you maight get it done, you might get told it is closing time come back tomorrow.

That is why I use a private registration shop. The guy specializes in antiques and cars with no papers...he is legit and does help car thieves. He is very thorough at checking your bill of sale info. But he is very good at what he does and the 20 to $150 he charges based on what you have to have done is worth every penny.

But I will try

Skip Lackie
04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Skip and Bob,
I don't know why I can't use the '63 black plates since most cars got changed to those in that era. Even those would look much better than these hideous dayglow reflective white plates.

All Calif vehicles on the road got new black plates in 63. And as you know, if your truck had been registered in Calif in 1963 and remained registered there ever since, then it could still have black plates with a single prefix letter (like Bob's truck "Pete"). But those would be the legal plates, not YOM plates. Under the YOM law, the only alternative to the legal plates (either the black ones or whatever the truck was subsequently registered with) would be plates that match the model year. So unless the truck has carried black plates all its life, 49s are your only alternative to a current-design plate.

Corvanti
04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Kelly,
read #8 on this form: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

seems you'll need a commercial plate. i recall my dad (we lived in pomona) telling me in the 60's that if he put one 2X4 piece of lumber in the bed of his '64 ch*vy pick-up, he would get a ticket if pulled over, unless he had commercial plates (which he did).

also check out: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/foa/clear.do?goTo=officeVisit&localeName=en

apparently you can get an appointment at your local ca dmv now...

and, finally: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/elp/elp.htm

perhaps one of these plates would be more "tasteful" than regular issue... at a quick glance, it appears you can get any one of these plates on commercial vehicles.

good luck!!! :)

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
OK:
I have no idea how to cross stuff over from one site to the next so I will have to type everything out.

CA.GOV Section 21.175 YOM Plates[California Vehicle Code 5004.1]
YOM plates may be assigned to ANY currently registered-----
1969 or older year model auto
1972 or older commercial vehicle of a corresponding year

Weight fee must be collected on all commercial vehicles.

Here is wording from 5004.1...
a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model
or a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model
may utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model year when vehicle was manufactured

Any YOM plate can be used on any vehicle. Autos can be commercial vehicles----Taxi
A 72 or older truck can have an auto plate on it as long as the truck is registered and weight fees are paid. This will show up on the registration if stopped and questioned. This lets you haul stuff on the truck.
Register the plates before you restore them. No one can GUARANTEE they are clear till DMV gives their blessing.
You will need 2 1947 matching plates any plate
And 2 1949 metal tabs
These can all be purchased . EBAY Plate collectors etc, etc, etc
Wikipedia has some info on any plate any vehicle [Yeah Yeah yeah I know, it's Wikipedia, NOT the DMV, Shut up]
There is also info on the various truck forums about California YOM plates.
Best bet is to call DMV. MANY TIMES. You will get different info each time. Get their name, all the form information, all the DMV sections that they spew.
Yeah it's cool to have a commercial plate on a truck but you don't need to for the YOM program.