Push-button ignition - new tech in old studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push-button ignition - new tech in old studes

Okay, I'm not quite sure how I came across this site, but I'm pretty sure that a push-button ignition switch is how I'm going to cap off my restoration. Stock? No. Pretty cool? Absolutely.

Pushbutton ignitions for classic cars

In an effort to derail my own thread before it begins, I'm interested in people's thoughts on putting new technology in their Studebakers. I saw a lively debate in another thread about updating an older Stude to 12 volts. One member remarked that sometimes you have to embrace new technology, and it caught a response along the lines of "Then why bother with a Studebaker to begin with?"

My personal feelings are that I like the looks of Studebakers, but I think you can modernize the technology inside the car while still keeping to the "spirit" of the design. I can't help but think that if Raymond Lowey and the designers of the time had access to the technology we have today, they would have used it in a heartbeat.

Plus let's face it, some things really should be updated. Seatbelts are one example that pops to mind. Another would be adding a modern two-chamber master cylinder on the brakes. I mean, if you're building a 400 point trailer queen, you're probably not going to be flying down the highway at 60 miles per hour with your wife and toddler in there with you. But if you want to actually use the cars for what they were built for (driving!), then what's the harm in making them a little more modern in terms of safety and convenience?
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

A switch like that that, to me, is one of those "gee whiz" items that complicates a car without adding to the actual driving pleasure. Some people like gadgets, but one of the reasons I like old cars is their simplicity. The more gadgets you have the more possible failure points. The 2012 trucks that I buy parts for every day have most of their problems caused by the modern gadgets that fail.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm all for making improvements whenever it makes sense. I added a pushbutton starter switch to my '32 Studebaker because I don't trust the original Startix. I wired it with a 3 position ignition switch so I can choose to use the Startix only as a starter solenoid or allow it to work in its original mode. The push button switch is hidden and it all can be restored back to original very easily. Now I don't have to worry about the starter engaging while driving, but I can still amaze people by showing them how the Startix works. My Hawk has all electronic ignition, including pertonix ignitor, MSD ignition and MSD timing computer. I saved all the original parts in case I-or the next owner-wish to return it to stock. My Hawk has 16X8 wheels with low profile tires, it handles a lot better that way and it didn't have the stock wheels when I bought it anyway. I've thought about a push button starter for my Hawk. I don't like fumbling around with my left crippled hand, trying to get the key into the switch.

Comment

I saw a lively debate in another thread about updating an older Stude to 12 volts. One member remarked that sometimes you have to embrace new technology, and it caught a response along the lines of "Then why bother with a Studebaker to begin with?"
        FWIW, I'm the one who said, "Why bother with a Stude if you really want new car technology." But in context, that was to point out there is no real reason a 6V system won't start a stock 170" Champion.

I've owned and driven Studes for fifty years. At present, I have three and none of them are original. However, the modifications usually have some inherent logic and a particular goal in mind the stock parts aren't ever going to be capable of doing. The '55 E12 is now 12V because 6V definitely wouldn't start a high-compression hotrod Packard V8 or operate the AC. My cars, my money, my decision to modify them if I want.

My wife's latest new car ride has the keyless remote and pushbutton start. It's a nice toy, but doesn't add any real utility over the pushbutton remote locking plus key start her previous had. Inserting the key in the ignition and turning it is only marginally more work than pushing the start button. To convert a Stude to true remote door locks, gas filler lock and trunk lock plus keyless pushbutton start is certainly possible, but does it add any real utility to a hobby car?

Again, your car, your money, your decision. And, if the answer is "Just so I'll have some new and different whiz-bang toy to show off at the International Meet," that's OK too.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

I agree with Jack. I see all the new gadgets on crappy platforms and wonder how many hands free satellite radios will be serenading junk yards after the car has proven more expensive to fix than what it's worth.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I agree with Jack. I see all the new gadgets on crappy platforms
            New tech in old Studes (and other old cars) Aftermarket parts don't always work as well as OEM. Can't count the number of cars I've bought with disabled aftermarket car alarms. I've always taken them off and thrown them away because they were always going off at random times when the car wasn't being stolen. I did get a great deal on a Jaguar sedan which had every body panel with dents beaten in it. The aftermarket car alarm kept going off in the night and the owner wouldn't/couldn't fix it. One weekend he was gone and it went off again at 2:00 A.M. and he wasn't there to shut it off. A couple of guys in the apartment building across the street took baseball bats to the car to kill it. There were no witnesses.

after the car has proven more expensive to fix than what it's worth.
            OEM systems aren't going to live forever and parts can be expensive. I've also bought a couple of 10-15 year-old-cars which the owners thought cost too much to have the dealership fix. On one, a new factory EFI computer would have been $1100. Another modified car had a first-generation aftermarket Holley EFI system which died and Holley no longer stocked parts for that model.

Once again, not saying don't do it. Just think through any modification, talk to a couple of satisfied owners, have some idea if parts will be available for a reasonable length of time.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Just stick with the "original" pushbutton start ignitions.
              Fords had'em WAAYY back, Stude's had'em, most cars were originally a pushbutton.

Just not a cute lighted version.
              If you don't like having to see a key...hid it under the dash or the seat, even in the door. Then as far as anyone knows, it's just a pushbutton start..!

Mike

Comment

I installed power locks with a remote on my '53. Much more handy than having to lock the doors with a key. Now, if I could only teach it to turn off its headlights, I would be all set.
                Bob
                Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

My Dad replaced his ignition switch with one with the crank position on his INTERNATIONAL dumptruck. You had to push the starter button while turning the key to crank to start the truck. I think he was disappointed when it took me all of 15 minutes to figure out and start it when I was fifteen.

Comment

Well...my coupe has push button starting and so does my '55 truck. It is pretty neat...the button is pushed by the clutch pedal. My '51 Land Cruiser has a real neat chrome "T" handle you pull to start! Waaay cool to my grandkids who have never known anything but their mother's "No Key" starting gadget on her BMW's.

Those so-called "smart-start" cars are pretty boring to the kids. They just love the odd column shifter, big diameter steering wheels, neat horn rings, a radio that has to warm up before you can hear it, smell and sounds of the old Studebakers.

Funny how what excites some of us is a big yawn to others.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

To each his own--I was also one who chimed in with a "I think a 6v system would work fine if in good shape."

I'm thinking of putting in the dash mounted starter button from the automatic version of the 53 just so I don't have that blanking plug/cover there, plus I think it looks cool and I'm a clutch masher so I'd probably be setting off the starter all the time.

(Of course, I say this now and will probably find out the dash mounted button assembly is hard to find and pricey.)
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

During our restoration the starter button under the clutch was replaced by a push button placed in the blank right next to key slot. I believe this was an excellent upgrade. And I don't feel anything more advanced is necessary.
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJay View Post
                          Now, if I could only teach it to turn off its headlights, I would be all set.
                          Bob
                          He he, Dakota Digital can help. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prod/prd42.htm
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X