Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Information or experience with the A/C Unit that Bob Helms has on his web site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Any Information or experience with the A/C Unit that Bob Helms has on his web site?

1955 Studebaker President Coupe v8/automatic/4 bbl.

Do any members have purchase and install experience with the A/C (aftermarket) unit that Bob Helm shows at his site?

As most of you probably know, it is really hard to get through to Bob by phone. I see in other posts that he doesn't have e mail. The e mail link on his web site comes back undeliverable.

The add says for 1956 - 1964 V8 so one concern is if it will work on my 55 late model v8 President Coupe? The price seems to be right.

I have searched for links on this unit and didn't find one. I will continue to try to contact Bob Helm via telephone.

Thanks All

Blaze

I see no info there at all- I bought a 'kit' including all the same parts EXCEPT the bracket for the compressor on ebay for $400. Free shipping. My compressor is a Chinese copy of the Sanden though.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I purchased all this from Bob EXCEPT for the under dash unit and the hoses. The under dash unit I bought was a 1965/66 unit from Studebaker. I have had luck calling him right at 6pm TX time, so 4pm west cast time. I got through to him every time I called, in Jan and Feb. I also had several questions. The items that he sent me were exactly as he described and connected up very easily! I did not have AC in my 64 V8 Cruiser, so had to put everything on, fan pulley, crank pulley, Studebaker bracket and the special Sandborn bracket that Bob sells. Again everything worked just as he said it would. Since I did not buy the hoses, I had them made locally to fit the compressor, dryer, condensor and evaparator.

I don't know about if his unit will fit a late 55, Bob would know.

Also, I purchased from the SDC templates the AC template for AC. That told me where to drill the holes through the firewall and by the headlights.

Mark

Comment

If your 55 is still 6 volt it won't work because the compressor clutch and evaporator fan need 12 volts.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Bob answers his phone after 6:00 PM CST. He does not have a phone in his shop. I gave him a cordless phone setup for his shop, but I guess he never installed it. I suppose I need to go to Royce City and install it for him. He is a good guy, and honest as the day is long.

Comment

A/c & 12 volts many thanks to all!

As usual, a great response (and quickly too) from all of you. I will follow up on each of your posts as of 2:00 PM today.

Sounds like I will be converting to 12 volt system after all (Thanks 41 Frank). I kind of suspected that to be the case. I have yet to see my car! I know it has an alternator on it but still has a 6 volt battery. I'm betting the system is probably all 6 volts, but am not positive. I got a great post earlier on buying the guide to convert from 6 to 12 volts. You can bet I will buy that guide b4 starting.

Good info. on the drilling templates too (Thanks Bullet). Bullet didn't buy the under dash unit from Helm. Does anyone have the in-cab part of the system from Helm? If so, how does it look and how is it for leg room? I have bench seat (not stock but same rough dimension).

Anyone have info. on any necessary modification of cooling system (radiator, fan, water pump, etc.) to avoid overheat?

I will try Helm again tonight (Thanks Chucks Stude). Bob Helm sounds like a great guy and a terrific resource for parts. And, if you install that phone in Helm's shop, you think it will be answered???

Kerry and I are off to the Studebaker multi club picnic event in Stockton on Saturday. Will have to drive there in our 2004 Mach I Mustang. Hope I don't get thrown out of the park .

Thanks All
            Blaze

Comment

When I added AC to my 64, I upgraded the radiator to a 3 row and added a 6 blade fan with the clutch. Also, and this is very important is to clean out the water jacket areas via the freeze plugs. I had been having overheating problems and until I did the cleaning the other items did not help! The condenser that Bob sells will be prefect.

Have fun at the picnic, which we were going.

Mark

Comment

I remember seeing the condenser unit at Bob's shop. I have heard it referred to as a Mark IV unit, so it is not very tall(thick), in relation to the grey one that originally came on Studes. Amen, Mark, you put it distinctly, you have to clean out the water passages before running A/C. Put on some throwaway clothes, cheap swim goggles, and clean out the water passages. Get one of these from Home Depot, hook up a sprayer on your garden hose and scratch out the deposits. Be sure and remove the block plugs at the back of the engine, that is the bottom of the water jacket. They will probably twist off. Replace them with brass ones, IMHO.

Home Depot tool

What your radiator may look like

Six blade fan, and clutch. I have since pulled this clutch, and am using a GM clutch.

Comment

I'll be at the meet this sunday too. Look forward to meeting you. Look for the Rose Mist '63 Lark 4 door. See ya there! Brian P.S. We've all had to drive our Brand X to a meet sometimes as well!

Comment

I believe that Bob’s kit is pretty much from Vintage Air. If it is a Mark IV then here is the link for that under dash unit:

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I have the Vintage Air system in my 62 GT Hawk. The Vintage under dash unit looks like this.
                      Attached Files

Comment

One thing I think all of us have overlooked is that on the Stude a/c units, they had a heater hose outlet on the right rear cylinder head. This would have increased the flow of coolant in the rear of the block where otherwise the flow would have been very weak at best. Perhaps they recognized the debris that casting left in the water jackets that couldn't be removed cost wise in a mass production environment & with the additional demands a/c put on the cooling system, that modification was enough. I don't know if this was on Vintage Air or Mark IV units that had that or not. I don't see that fitting in the Stude parts manuals either in the chassis or under accessories in the body manual.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren can you post a picture of what you mean from your 66?

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                            One thing I think all of us have overlooked is that on the Stude a/c units, they had a heater hose outlet on the right rear cylinder head. This would have increased the flow of coolant in the rear of the block where otherwise the flow would have been very weak at best. Perhaps they recognized the debris that casting left in the water jackets that couldn't be removed cost wise in a mass production environment & with the additional demands a/c put on the cooling system, that modification was enough. I don't know if this was on Vintage Air or Mark IV units that had that or not. I don't see that fitting in the Stude parts manuals either in the chassis or under accessories in the body manual.
                            The heater hose outlet on the rear of the right head was an aftermarket feature. Factory air required drilling a hole on the opposite side of the water manifold from non a/c models, tapping it and installing an elbow for the heater hose. The aftermarket approach was clearly a better idea though.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 53k; 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
                              1955 Studebaker President Coupe v8/automatic/4 bbl.

Do any members have purchase and install experience with the A/C (aftermarket) unit that Bob Helm shows at his site?

As most of you probably know, it is really hard to get through to Bob by phone. I see in other posts that he doesn't have e mail. The e mail link on his web site comes back undeliverable.

The add says for 1956 - 1964 V8 so one concern is if it will work on my 55 late model v8 President Coupe? The price seems to be right.

I have searched for links on this unit and didn't find one. I will continue to try to contact Bob Helm via telephone.

Thanks All

Blaze
                              I bought an absolutely complete (every nut bolt, clamp, hose, belt) a/c setup from Ebon Jones (railway on the Forum) for my '64 Daytona convertible. Only problem I had was the crank pin wasn't threaded deep enough to tighten the crank pulleys, but it made a beautiful installation.
                              Attached Files
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X